• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

anybody know of a dump in Los Angeles...

I live in Los Angeles, close to santa Monica and I am wondering if anybody knows of a dump where tree services take logs? I am thinking in the Palos Verdes or Malibu area would be my best option.
they are actually harder to find than I ever thought.........have chainsaw, will travel

thank you guys for your help

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I would think that you could call your local city/county landfill operation to find out. That is how I found out about ours which is located on the same property as the regular landfill operation, but by a different contractor that chips the wood into mulch.

I'll second John's recommendation. Also check out firewood lots. (I know of at least two in Pasadena, and I'm pretty sure there are others in your area.) The wood lots get much of their product from tree services. In my experience, the firewood guys are willing to part with big green pieces for next to nothing, especially the parts that are hard to split, like crotches. I paid $20 once for a very full pickup load of fresh sycamore, liquidambar, and camphor from a lot in Pasadena. The guy jokingly told me that the firewood is free...they just charge for splitting it. ;)

Personally, I don't think I'd want to deal with the red tape and other obstacles the LA county (or city) authorities likely have surrounding a dump.

Website
www.johnbeaver.net
There is a transfer dump in Santa Monica, but I think you have to be a resident to use it.
The local tree guys leave a lot of wood on the side of the road on Temescal Canyon near Pali High, and anybody can take it for fire wood... or turning?
My landscaper drives up near the 405 and 5 intersection.
Try calling a few local tree trimmers and see what they do?

Where are you located? I don't know too many turners around SM or WLA.?

hey there, thank you guys so much for your help. I will try again to call a few places and see if I get somebody on the phone who understands me, not an easy task.
I heard about Temescal canyon from one of my clients, I'll check that too.
I work in santa monica, so maybe that's good enough, i'll check there too.

I live in Playa del Rey, where are you located John, sound like you are from around here

I thought L.A. Was a dump.
:cool2:

Frank Lloyd Wright is credited with saying:
"Tip the world over on its side and everything loose will land in Los Angeles"

Website
www.johnbeaver.net
Sascha, I live in Pacific Palisades - not exactly a turners mecca. By the way I looked at your pics, Nice Work. You've got a nice shop too, except I couldn't figure out what kind of lathe you have.

George H. My wife moved here from the Gold Country, wouldn't move back if you paid her. Don't knock it til you've tried it.

Sascha, I live in Pacific Palisades - not exactly a turners mecca. By the way I looked at your pics, Nice Work. You've got a nice shop too, except I couldn't figure out what kind of lathe you have.

George H. My wife moved here from the Gold Country, wouldn't move back if you paid her. Don't knock it til you've tried it.

I have a Stubby 1000, I do have a few pics on my site, had it for about 4-5 years

Back