• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Videos by Donna Banfield.......

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I am one who is on the lookout for video demonstrations on wood lathe turning.....and, I've seen a zillion of them! Just as I happened across videos from this forum's, John Lucas quite by accident, I came across a series of videos from Donna Banfield. Donna is a regular contributor to this site, as well......

Just thought a few here might be interested in what Donna has to say about bowl making, and related subjects.

Thanks for making these available to us, Donna......

ooc

click:

http://www.expertvillage.com/expert/2173.htm

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
Cutting the bowl blank a bit scary

and very bad advice IMHO.

I still am missing feeling in my left ring finger from the blank turning over in a flash and smashing my finger while cutting to a line with unsupported wood underneath.

A much safer approach would be for her to put the large face down and cut around a cardboard circle template pinned to the center of the log. At the very least she could reduce her risk by cutting straight lines and turning the blank into an octagon, or putting a shim underneath.

But I see no reason at all for putting the small face down and trying to cut an unsupported circle. My blade kinked in the turn and before I knew it I was done. I hope not but I believe that likely sooner or later it will happen to Donna. She was trying to keep her fingers out of the way, but clearly was still at risk.

There was an excellent article in the journal on bandsaw safety the month after my accident. Wish I had read it.

That said, Donna's presentation style is very clear and effective, and her videos on balance are helpful.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!

Are you talking about this video, jerhall?

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/125594_cutting-bowl-blank-with-band.htm

If so, you might want to check at 1:07.....you can see her bowl blank, and the waste piece she cut off. Looks to me like the block is completely supported, except for the last couple inches where it tapers off. Not really a problem.

I'm sure everyone here would agree with you that there is a point where stability is going to be real problematic, but doesn't look like Donna is taking that big of a chance in her video.

Your advice is sound, and you are correct that she should put the larger face down, though. If she is going to be mounting that bowl with the base facing the tailstock, like she did in her other video......it would have clearly been better. If she intends to mount the block facing the other way, then I can understand why she chose to cut it that way.

You do offer good advice in using a spacer to help support wood.....I've done that, and although it may not be perfect, it's much better than trying to cut unsupported wood.

Good overall criticism, and should have been said..........

ooc

While I agree entirely with Jer's position, generally, the video
http://www.expertvillage.com/video/1...-with-band.htm
reveals that she has flattened the outer rounded edge to provide a flat, albeit a narrow flat, to support the blank.
Haven't seen them all yet so may have missed something in the set.

Back