• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Teknatool Chucks

What are the SuperNova and Titan chucks like? Good, Bad or Ugly???

I need to get a chuck and would like to hear some first hand experience about these chucks. Quality and ease of use are just a couple of things I would like to know more about, so please let me know about what you all think about these chucks.

Lee Valley is selling these cheaper right now as they are being discontinued. Or would I be better off buying a Vicmarc or Oneway chuck?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bruce

The only chuck I have ever used is my Titan chuck ,
so I can't make a comparison , but I'm happy with it .

I have heard complaints about the direction that Nova chucks open and close. The reverse of all other chucks apparently.
Still , thats the problem of the manufacturers who failed to copy Teknatool's design :cool2:

Jock

Website
www.abhats.com
I've a Titan, and old Super Nova (open back), a mini/midi tommy bar, and a G3 and just about all the jaw sets Technitool makes. Never had a problem with any of them, although I did loose the retaining ring once when trying to clean out the Titan (still don't see any advantage to having a closed back!). The only draw back to this line I've run into is that the bowl jaws aren't good for really large pieces. The jaw sets are interchangeable across all chucks, )though I've not tried the 100mm on the smallest chuck). The only other line I can compare them to myself is the Vicmarc 120, which is larger than the Titan, and isn't really a good comparison. Overall, I believe the Technitool line is as good as you'll find anywhere for the money.

I'm Teknatool times three at present. The 50mm are great expansion jaws, the pin jaws start a lot of smaller pieces, and the so-called 75mm are great tenon holders with good wide faces. They also make chew-em-up jaws, of which I have one set, and it will remain in the drawer as another of those things I bought on someone else's recommendation that didn't work well for me. I would definitely avoid the "bowl jaws" as another bad idea. Some of the other chucks specialize in wood-chewers. I don't care for them.

The Novas tighten in a recess by rotating clockwise, which seems to present a difficulty for some. I have come to terms with it, as well as with the arbor on my old saw and the left end of the grinder/buffer being left-hand threads. The reason for the design, of course, is that the chuck tightens in the recess with the inertia of a start.

Just saw this "first ad" which shared the artwork and some of the text from my original instruction book back in '89. http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=79236847002&ref=mf Come Fathers day it will be twenty years. Sure was a huge step up from my "Masterchuck," with all its foibles, including the d*mn locking ring I always forgot to put on it to use in spigot mode. That may be the reason why I avoid it with the Novas.

No, I don't have that one any more. It was a 1"8tpi straight bore, and followed Ol' Blue down to my kid's place.

Last edited:
I have 10 Nova chucks (hate changing jaws) and have never had a problem with any of them. As stated all jaws fit all the chucks with the exception of the Titan Power Grip jaws which only fit the Titan. This is not the case with some of the other manufactures as a different chuck might need jaws that will not fit both. The reverse tightening of the jaws is not important when all the chucks tighten in the same direction. I do not think that the Nova chucks are better than the Vicmarc or the Oneway as I think they are good chucks also, I just got started with the Nova chucks and that is what I use. If you purchase one of the three mentioned you will have a very good chuck.
Bill

Manufacture has moved to China and some of the QC on the units we see Downunder is pretty poor. Maybe you guys get the pick of the crop.

The big plus has been mentioned: most jaws will migrate between eg the SN2 and the Titan. The minus is that jaw design is not the best in a number of cases. Eg, spigot jaws can be very useful but the T/tools are chamfered on the outside so they're far less useful in expansion mode. The bowl jaws are a fine heavy bit of kit but the jaw faces are slightly rounded over and you lose a good deal of the bite.

So if they're discontinuing the chucks and you need to buy further jaws .... ?

Also check out Vermec jaws. They're made in Australia, by the brother of the Vicmarc guy, and the quality is excellent. Good jawset compatibility too. One of your retailers stocks them, or order direct. With the value of your dollar it should be good value. http://www.vermec.com/id1.html

No connection etc.

I've used them both, the biggest benefit to the teknatool are the interchangeable jaws. The holding power is the same for both chucks. I own a supernova and a supernova2. If I were to pick up a third chuck, I'd get a sn2 with little hesitation. The only thing that might sway me is the 16" jumbo jaws oneway offer.

The other thing Bruce, Lee Valley are pretty much out of the teknatool stuff, but busy bee have some in.

Website
www.TheWriteWoodshop.com
Being pretty new to bowl turning, I've started using my SuperNova II.
I have no complaints, it has held everything I've put into it very well, no flying wood yet! (stress on yet, I'm pretty much a NooB)

Actually, after reading the post, I'm off to Lee Valley to look into the sale. If one SN2 is good, two has to be better!! Right?

NooB here. I've got a Nova G3, just chiming in over the "issue" of the confusing direction on the Nova chucks. It did seem a bit confusing at first. Somewhere I read about taking a vibrator engraver and labeling the direction with an "O" and a "C" with a double arced arrow. Works for me.

TL

Bruce, I have two titans, the only complaint I have is the allen wrench they supply has a ball end so you can titghten it at an angle. GRIND it off or get a new one. It's pretty easy to strip out the pinion and not easy to get fixed. Otherwise great chuck!

Frank D.

Have a pre China version Super Nova chuck which preforms well and I thought I had a good chuck until I recently purchased an Oneway stronghold. If your budget can afford it I would recommend the Oneway over the Teknatool.

I checked out Busy Bee and Lee Valley today, picked up a Super Nova 2 chuck at Busy Bee for $162 on sale, and I might be able to get a Titan and a set of step jaws from Lee Valley if they actually have some stock left to bring in (I did order it just in case).

After learning a massive amount last week on my course with Richard Raffan I am itching to keep on turning. It was nice having a few different chucks to use on the course, and Richard told us he had around 15 chucks in his shop so he does not have to change jaws.

Thanks for everyones input, makes life easier having this much experience to draw from.

Bruce

chucks n stuff

I started out with Teknatool and have three of the early SN2 chucks 6" dia and a couple of the later versions 4" dia and so with five I am not about to change. :) In preference I like the larger dia chucks as I often use the 140mm jaws[ 5.5"] and the larger chuck gives a bigger capacity.

Had no real problems to date, as pointed out be Ern some of the jaws have a large chamfer on them making gripping on the edge difficult. So machined mine off to improve the edge grip. Glad I did it adds a bit more versatility to the jaws.

Quality control issues over deburring the chucks on the Chinese built ones. This is not a major for me as the rest seems fine.

The initial attraction was inter-changeable jaws but with 5 chucks its no longer an issue. The other thing that was a hassle/dislike is the ball end allen wrench. So cut it off fixed the problem and darn chucks work backwards compared to metal turning lathes, but thats life.

I note off the web site Titan ans SN2 have a very similar capacity of 29" and price is better on the SN2.

Last edited:
I bought 2 of Teknatool's Nova Midi chucks and a variety of jaws for my first chuck purchase. One works fine, and the other probably has a slight burr somewhere, based on the differences noted when tightening either one. I'll investigate further once the need arrives to disassemble 'em for cleaning.

One thing I usually do before buying something "important" is visit the manufacturer's support site to see what else I can learn about my planned purchase. IMO, Teknatool's Chuck Support page has some pretty helpful info for all their models, including one particular pdf offering min/max jaw travel table and some "Not Recommended" jaw/chuck combinations.

Back