• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pocketwatch

Has anyone made a basic pocket watch?

I have made couple but my question has to do with appropriate finishes. I have basically just used a wax finish - like Renaissance Wax. I notice that as I use the pocket watch consistently, that it "darkens" with time. I assume that it is just a build up of the daily dirt and finger oils etc. (right?). Is there a better finish to use that would withstand the constant handling better?

Also, does anyone know where to get a more durable change and face finish than the ones I have used from Klockit and the like (which wears off too quickly for what I would like).

Website
www.thewoodworkersnetwork.com
I have used Sutherland Wells Tung Oil finish for years. I makes one of the most durable finishes I have ever used. I put it on my kitchen cabinets--cabinets right over the stove gets steam constantly. Its as good as the day I put it on. Use all the time on turnings as a sealer. Buffs up beautifully on bowls.

Customer service is the best. If you call them and tell them what you want to finish they will tell you which of their products. Ask for Mary she is a turner and the owner. Have dealt with them for years.Check them out www.sutherlandwelles.com

The "patina" from daily handling is what will, over time, add value to your piece. I wouldn't try to seal it so thoroughly that it ends up non-reactive like a piece of plastic.

Back