• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Has anyone seen this YouTube turning video?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Well that was really interesting. Shows how far you can go if you put your mind to it. When I had my Nova 3000 I clamped it to my Nova mini lathe and turned the tailstock around back wards on the mini. This let me turn a 60" spindle. This guy carries that a lot further.

YouTube Video

That was very interesting, especially the part where he did his roughing with a chainsaw. Also, is it just me, or does that tool rest look a bit below center?
The idea of turning into a plant stand with a door is pretty cool!:)

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
I kept guessing..

Will it be an innovative African drum?
Ohmagahd, is he really going to use that spoke shave while turning?
And the rasp?
Then I bet he would use an ax next..
Maybe it will be a mini bar, or bar stool?
Or an arm chair?
Or an encasement for a beer keg?
Two watering troughs for his livestock?
A water feature?
A new fangled exercise gadget?
But never a plant stand.

Great YouTube

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I believe he used the wood rasp as a brake. That thing would spin forever if you didn't have some method of stopping it.

I showed my wife the part where he was putting the plant inside and she said "Hey honey, you could make me a couple of those!"

Then I showed him starting off with the chainsaw and she quickly changed her tune.:D

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I'm not quite ready to use a chain saw at the lathe.

Since turnings are round, the height of the tool rest relative to a stationary reference (such as the horizontal plane passing through the axis of rotation) isn’t as important as setting it so that the desired tool presentation angle can be done comfortably. The spindle height and turning diameter both affect this.

As cool as this video on large turning is, I can't watch it and not think, "Oh my god that is insanely dangerous". I don't mean to insult anyone; the turner is leaning backwards and obviously the saw is skipping around. Nice finished product, but getting there is supposed to be fun, not dangerous.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I thought the whole process was amazing! Really ingenious, for sure.....and the drawers, doors......different, and unique!

As someone else hinted at......the inside looked......unfinished and crude.

The overall profile shapes of those finished turnings didn't impress me, but art is in the eye of the beholder! ;)

If you'd like to see some very big bowls, that in my opinion, has very good design quality, you should check out some of the work by Ed Moulthrop. (R.I.P.)....He's one of the truly great pioneers in extra large bowl turning. His bowls were one piece chunks of wood.....finished inside and out.

ooc

Here's Ed Moulthrop, and one of his works. I tried unsuccessfully to find a picture I'd seen before of a bowl just like this one with a couple of young children setting inside......that will give an idea of the size of his turnings......

Attachments

• m-3961.jpg
    m-3961.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 1993_94.jpg
    1993_94.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
At least he had the uncommon sense to run the lathe in reverse, against the chain saw cut. But the spindle thread presentation gives me the willies; unless there's some speed control on braking, to prevent auto-disengagement.:eek:

Dale Nish's book on Ray Allen has a picture of Ray inside one of his bowls, with a quotation of a fib.

I tend to believe that Steve wants to preserve the perception of segmented construction, as far as the inside turning is concerned.

I can think of a few ways for this idea to advance, but I'll let him find them.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
How would you turn the inside of something like that? Even with the really large boring bars you would have trouble reaching in more than 36". I suppose you could have a really big steady rest so you could remove the tailstock and reach in. You could turn the inside in 2 halves with a lip that is engaged when they fit together. Then do the outside like he does.
Personally I would use and angle grinder with an arbortec cutter to rough out the outside but I've watched my friend Brad Sells do some amazing things with a chainsaw.

How would you turn the inside of something like that? Even with the really large boring bars you would have trouble reaching in more than 36". I suppose you could have a really big steady rest so you could remove the tailstock and reach in. You could turn the inside in 2 halves with a lip that is engaged when they fit together. Then do the outside like he does.
Personally I would use and angle grinder with an arbortec cutter to rough out the outside but I've watched my friend Brad Sells do some amazing things with a chainsaw.

If the most common usage is as a planter John, 36 inches would be plenty. But, I don't think he would even bother unless it was a special request.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

I was sort of thinking if this guy likes to push the limits of the pucker factor envelope, he could just poke the bar of his chain saw inside of the turning and knock off the corners of the segments. :eek:

I would've said the same thing about the arbortec; I want to get one for my grinder! Chainsaw carvers are some amazing folks; I haven't seen any of them in anything but complete control of their saws though!!;) Seriously though, carving bars usually have a quarter size or smaller radius on their tip---very little kickback potential. I've never tried it, but seen plenty of bears, owls, etc. around. Mountain art!

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Don't need no stinkin' carbide rougher tool. Just fire up the Stihl (or whatever).

To hollow the inside, use an electric weed eater with a chain for line.

The whole thing was actually very innovative and demonstrates you don't need the more exotic setup to accomplish the end product, just didn't like the shapes.

The mortising of the latches was top notch though.

The whole thing was actually very innovative and demonstrates you don't need the more exotic setup to accomplish the end product, just didn't like the shapes.

Yep , I second that .

I have the same lathe , same length .
I reckoned I was doin' ok when I split the bed , and bolted the tailstock to the far end o my bench, to turn a tall floorlamp stand .

Now my turning world has got not only got longer , but also broader :D

Plus , with the lathe turning in one direction , and the wee electric chainsaw running in the other , the forces seemed to cancel each other out a bit.
He didn't appear to be fighting it at all .
At most , it is a difficult height to hold a saw at for any length of time .

Top marks all round I say .

cheers for posting it John

Last edited:
That was really cool.
I think that a full length tool rest for the chain saw body to set on would give more control.
The full length tool rest could then be lowered for the gouge work.
The unfinished inside must be for setting little figurines on. uhoh another idea.

Jerry

couldn't view

I have very sloooow free dial up. I spent over 40 minutes trying to download and only viewed 2 min 20 sec before I got angry:mad:, bit the bullet, and signed up for broadband, cable ( I don't watch alot of tv) and telephone bundle. Now in 10-12 days I should be able to see what you guys are all talking about!!!!:cool2: Gretch

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I spend way too much time on Youtube now. It's better than TV. You can watch old clips from the Smothers Brothers, find new artists (like Vanessa Mae-extraordinary violinist) or just spend hours looking at woodworking and woodturning videos. Some really bad, some really good.

You Tube Addict

Gretch, you won't be sorry... I was the last person I know to upgrade to high speed and I can't live without it. There aer so amny quality instructional videos on YouTube that I would rather give up TV then my YouTube! You won't be sorry! :)

Joe said: "At least he had the uncommon sense to run the lathe in reverse, against the chain saw cut. But the spindle thread presentation gives me the willies; unless there's some speed control on braking, to prevent auto-disengagement."

The tailstock is stopping it uncoiling I guess, although if you had more than a couple of inches compression in the form ... :eek:

There's a guy Downunder doing similar sizes out of solid wood. He uses a large metal lathe with a boring bar on a sled to hollow them.

Just my thoughts,I think proper lathe set up, proper tool selection and usage would be a lot faster and safer. After the chain saw he still has to spend time cleaning it up why not just cut it cleaner to start with. Talk about problems with a catch.

Joe said: "At least he had the uncommon sense to run the lathe in reverse, against the chain saw cut. But the spindle thread presentation gives me the willies; unless there's some speed control on braking, to prevent auto-disengagement."

The tailstock is stopping it uncoiling I guess, although if you had more than a couple of inches compression in the form ... :eek:

There's a guy Downunder doing similar sizes out of solid wood. He uses a large metal lathe with a boring bar on a sled to hollow them.

He has the option of locking the chuck on to the spindle (grub screws) .
He may have used it .

Just my thoughts,I think proper lathe set up, proper tool selection and usage would be a lot faster and safer. After the chain saw he still has to spend time cleaning it up why not just cut it cleaner to start with. Talk about problems with a catch.

I was thinking the same thing. It seems all the seg's are the same; one could easily make a jig for table sawing the pieces to start out much more round. Maybe more work, but much safer & easier in the long run.

He has the option of locking the chuck on to the spindle (grub screws) .
He may have used it .

Thank Goodness for that. That's the only way I'd do it.

I've acquired the habit of gently braking heavy turnings at shutdown, to prevent unscrewing from the spindle, with or without tailstock assistance. (I don't have grub screws on my equipment).

I wouldn't rely on a teensy grub screw.

Some Vicmarcs have a collar that will clamp the spindle shoulder to the Vicmarc chuck insert collar. Tedious but safe.

Back