• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New Wolverine Vari-Grind jig.......just out!

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Here's a link to this new product, click:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...neway_Vari_Grind_2___oneway_vari_grind2?Args=

========================================

It's called the Vari-Grind 2

Looks to me like the only real difference is it incorporates a two-point steadying mount, instead of the single point swivel of the original jig.

Also looks like the angle adjustment in the front isn't quite as handy, but ought to work none-the-less. I would imagine the two points would be a little more complicated to get in perfect adjustment........just theoretically speaking, of course. It may be a snap to get it right.

I don't have much thought on this, at this time. I'm wondering if anyone else has one......and if so, how they like it......? Whether favorable, or unfavorable, I'd be interested in any "hands on" comments.

I'm wondering if this is going to replace the original Vari-Grind jig, or just an optional accessory.......?

ooc

edit comment: I'm pretty sure the grind of the gouge needs to be in perfect alignment to the pivoting post of the jig for it to operate correctly........so, it would appear that there is no option on how far the gouge must extend through the Vari-Grind 2 jig......it would also appear as if there are three points that need perfect allignment, not just two, as I was originally thinking.

Attachments

• vari-grind-2.jpg
    vari-grind-2.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
I'm not impressed. They say the slot keeps you from slipping off the side of the wheel. Instead you only ever use the center of the wheel; this will cause severe grooving. And to correct the groove you will dress the wheel thus removing the sides of the wheel that have never been touched.

I like the original because I can use the full width of the wheel. This way you have access to a greater area of abrasive and will wear the wheel evenly having to dress the wheel less frequently.

And why do they feel they can charge $25 more for this than the original? Because they include a DVD and other add-ons? I thought $50 was high when I bought the original Vari-grind; I would not buy this product.

...rant over.

Why is it that they are including the bearing instead of the spring clamp? But still only offer the spring clamp on the original? :mad: Why not make everyone pay for the bearing?:p

odie

TOTW Team
Why is it that they are including the bearing instead of the spring clamp? But still only offer the spring clamp on the original? :mad: Why not make everyone pay for the bearing?:p

Howdy Mike......

I'd be willing to bet it's because they have an inventory of original Vari-Grind jigs that are already made up with the spring steel.

-------------------------------------------

turner23......

I was tempted to feel the same as you, as my initial thoughts on the new jig were there is an attempt to fix a non-existent problem. There is a "learning curve" on the original VG jig, and once that's been addressed, I don't see where the VG2 is really any better. I was attempting to get some comment form someone who already has the VG2 and likes it (Preferably someone who has used both!).......I could be convinced of one's superior attributes, if any exist.......we'll see.

Off hand, it does seem like the VG2 would be steadier throughout the range of movement, but just how much of an advantage that is, is left up to what one can imagine it to be.

For myself, I've gotten into the habit of starting the grind at one side wing and work to the center. There is some overlap of the two movements right in the center of the leading edge. This doesn't really seem like a problem to me, but the new VG2 looks like the entire edge might be ground in one single movement.

ooc

Last edited:
I was attempting to get some comment form someone who already has the VG2 and likes it (Preferably someone who has used both!).......
ooc

The Craft Supplies web page lists this item as Coming Soon and I find it interesting that it's not even listed on the Oneway website. Oneway has probably elected to sensationalize its release at Craft Supplies during the Utah Woodturning Symposium and at the Oneway Booth in Albuquerque at the AAW Symposium.
It's doubtful that there have been any beta testers for this product other than the "in house" crowd at Oneway as they have a tendancy to do things their way.

Last edited:
Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
I certainly hope that Oneway isn't so stupid as to shoot itself in the foot and remove the original Vari-grind jig from their tool offerings.......

..... obviously, there is a large and loyal user-base for this tool, and I would hate to see it removed from production based upon the perceived need of improving on a 'non-problem'..... ...with or without the spring steel holder vs. bearing issue.

How many experienced users of the Vari-grind jig actually run the blade off the wheel while sharpening? I can't even remember the last time I've done that..... .....is this really a major problem? Enough to cause a significant design change? (BTW - the new Oneway jig is strangely reminiscent of the Sorby sharpening jig.... did anyone notice that?)

I'll have to look for the VG2 in Albuquerque and see for myself whether it's really an improvement or not. I can see the virtue in trying to create a tool that's "idiot proof", but must ask the question, "should 'idiots' be sharpening tools?" Isn't practice and experience is supposed to move you out of that category?

I suppose this will be another one on my list of "Rob's Trade Show Adventures" to check-into at the AAW Symposium....

Interesting thread...

Rob Wallace

odie

TOTW Team
The Craft Supplies web page lists this item as Coming Soon and I find it interesting that it's not even listed on the Oneway website. Oneway has probably elected to sensationalize its release at Craft Supplies during the Utah Woodturning Symposium and at the Oneway Booth in Albuquerque at the AAW Symposium.
It's doubtful that there have been any beta testers for this product other than the "in house" crowd at Oneway as they have a tendancy to do things their way.

Whoops, yes, you are right, Bob......

I hadn't noticed that the VG2 wasn't available yet.....only noticed the price.'

Thanks for pointing that out......

I guess there will be plenty of opportunity to get some reviews of the VG2 soon......but, not just yet.

ooc

Last edited:

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
...(BTW - the new Oneway jig is strangely reminiscent of the Sorby sharpening jig.... did anyone notice that?)

Or the sharpfast

http://www.stickfast.net/

As far as only the center of the wheel, that's not true at all. I have been using the Sharpfast for about a year and since you are grinding the wings also, you use all across the wheel. I suppose if you used just the jig for some type of radical reshaping, maybe it would wear the center more.

I know that we have had more than a couple of incidents from club members using the vari-grind. Broken fingers and cuts.
I let my attention wander ( surprised by my wife in the shop ) while grinding and went off of the wheel.
Lucky it just broke the plastic knob and banged up the vari-grind and took a chunk out of the wheel and cracked the gouge handle.
No damage to me.
Every tool in the shop has the potential to be dangerous, if full attention is not paid.
A jig redesign like this looks like it could be a positive step.
Just like hand grinding does not always work out for the beginner, this can aid in the transition from relying on someone else to sharpen your tools to grinding by eye.
With fewer potential accidents along the way.
I don't know if I would run out and buy one, but I would like to see it at the symposium.

Mark.

odie

TOTW Team
Or the sharpfast

http://www.stickfast.net/

As far as only the center of the wheel, that's not true at all. I have been using the Sharpfast for about a year and since you are grinding the wings also, you use all across the wheel. I suppose if you used just the jig for some type of radical reshaping, maybe it would wear the center more.

Steve.....

I just watched the sharpfast video a few minutes ago. It did look impressive. One BIG difference between the sharpfast and the VG2, is it looks like there are two contact points with the sharpfast, and three with the VG2.

Sure seems like that might make a difference.........we'll see about that.

ooc

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
Added one adjustment, removed another

If I am seeing it right the slotted vertical piece allows the vertical distance to be easily adjusted, making the set up of the base with respect to the wheel center-line less critical. That seems nice so you are above the center-line when grinding and don't have to fuss with the mounting of the base.

But the angle of the leg with respect to the tool shaft appears to be fixed. I wonder at what angle? Remember the American Woodturner (AAW Journal) Winter 2006 Vol 21, No.4 "Sharpening" by Kirk DeHeer which recommended a 23 degree angle? It looks like it is close to that. I keep mine fixed, so that may work.

But it seems like a small PITA to have to put in a new arm with a pocket if you want to touch up a roughing gouge, or do a traditional grind on a gouge.

I have the bearing upgrade and wouldn't do without it. It also works well on old short tools when you are clamping on the ramp at the end of the flute. The leaf spring just slid down the ramp, so I had to grind a flat to keep the gouge from moving in the jig. Don't have to do that now.

All in all I don't see this as a win. If I had a choice I would get the old jig with a bearing.

odie

TOTW Team
If I am seeing it right the slotted vertical piece allows the vertical distance to be easily adjusted, making the set up of the base with respect to the wheel center-line less critical. That seems nice so you are above the center-line when grinding and don't have to fuss with the mounting of the base.

But the angle of the leg with respect to the tool shaft appears to be fixed. I wonder at what angle? Remember the American Woodturner (AAW Journal) Winter 2006 Vol 21, No.4 "Sharpening" by Kirk DeHeer which recommended a 23 degree angle? It looks like it is close to that. I keep mine fixed, so that may work.

But it seems like a small PITA to have to put in a new arm with a pocket if you want to touch up a roughing gouge, or do a traditional grind on a gouge.

I have the bearing upgrade and wouldn't do without it. It also works well on old short tools when you are clamping on the ramp at the end of the flute. The leaf spring just slid down the ramp, so I had to grind a flat to keep the gouge from moving in the jig. Don't have to do that now.

All in all I don't see this as a win. If I had a choice I would get the old jig with a bearing.

Hi jerhall.......

The angle looks like it does adjust to me. Click on this, and you'll get a bigger image to see:

vari-grind-2_l.jpg

To me, it looks like the long downward curving protrusion extending from the tool holder is slotted and probably has the angle adjustment you're used to doing by swinging the leg of the original VG jig. I'm just guessing, so you can tell me what you think. It appears as though a tool is likely required for adjustment.....not as simple as the wing-nut on the original VG jig.

Also, I'd say you are correct that the vertical adjustment probably makes any mounting height an easy to fix solution.

ooc

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
I see the adjustment

and while it looks like a narrower range it should easily do the job for any practical settings. Once I set mine I never change it. Thanks for the pic.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
It looks pretty good except for the new base. I am often using spindle gouges along with the bowl gouge and switch back and forth when sharpening. I have a block I put in the older oneway system so that I don't have to change the position of the V arm when switching from bowl gouge to spindle gouge. I also use the V arm for my roughing gouge. It would mean keeping an extra arm handy to use the new jig.
I've have on occasion run off the edge of the stone and simply chastised myself and slowed down and sharpened correctly. I also bought a 1" wide wheel to not only reduce this problem but also gives me more are to use and the stone lasts longer. I probably won't switch to the new tool.

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Vari-grind 2

How many experienced users of the Vari-grind jig actually run the blade off the wheel while sharpening? I can't even remember the last time I've done that..... .....is this really a major problem?
Rob Wallace

Rob, I think that this new version will most benefit beginning woodturners. I teach at Woodcraft and Rockler, and personally have seen students 'walk or slide off' the front of the wheel. It's been quite awhile since I've done that, but I can certainly remember doing it. Just like using the tool on the spinning wood takes a bit of control and a certain touch, so too does one need skill, control and a certain touch in sharpening. I've had students use too much downward pressure, have been far too aggressive, or tried to accomplish the task too quickly. Any of these can result in either minor or major problems. If this new tool can help the student until they develop the right 'feel' or 'touch' they need, then it might be worth the money.

Hey everyone! I saw one in action at the WoodCraft in Lexington a couple of weeks ago. It works very well. The new jig is to prevent the tool from walking off the face, as others have said. The local employee showing the jig actually was looking away and reaching for a soda can while grinding the bowl gouge (fingernail) one-handed.

The other improvements are (IMHO):

-the arm that fits into the base has letter indentions on it.
-the leg of the gouge holder has number indentions on it.
-this allows you to write the combination down and easily re-set the jig after grinding a different gouge. We talked about writing the "A3" on a piece of masking tape on the tool handle. Easy to change if/when you change the grind on that tool.
-ball-bearing screw

This said, I don't have a lot of experience in bowl work or angle/bevel experimentation. Just going by what some others that were there and I talked about.

Most folks came to a consensus that it would be better than the VG1, but they would stick with the one they owned and not upgrade.

Glenn

Back