• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sourwood

So I'm driving up the highway in Coastal North Carolina. & see a logging crew dealing death.
I stop chat with the foreman and soon I have access to all the wood a man could want. Now most of it is gum & poplar, but there's some maple and a whole bunch of logs the guy referred to as sourwood. I did a little searching around the net & found some info- mostly as an ornamental. I did see one bowl turned from it.

Anyway, If there's anyone who knows this tree and has turned it please let me know how it worked out for you.

Thanks,

Website
www.mikepeacewoodturning.com
I have turned a lot of spindle type stuff from sourwood. I really like it. It seems to me a lot like maple. Very tight grain, easy to turn. Not much figure in the stuff I turned. I made a mallet, couple of captive ring baby rattles, a samll bowl and a small HF. I like it a lot. Seems to be very resistant to cracking when drying.

I don't know much about the sourwood tree, but have turned a couple of small sections. It cut well and I liked the look. If I had access to some I would get all I could (and share a bunch with club members).

Below is one of the pieces finished with Danish Oil, which darkened it quite a bit.

Tony

Attachments

• IMG_0341-2.jpg
    IMG_0341-2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 64
I'd drive over and let you "share" some of that sourwood (Sorrel) with me, but the drive from California is not practical. Nice haul. Enjoy your good fortune ....

While I once lived in western NC, I don't know a thing about the wood and what it's like to turn, but I can definitely recommend the honey made from it's blossoms. If you've never had the opportunity to try some--especially on hot buttered homemade biscuits--you can't imagine what you've missed. IMO, it's superior to Tupelo and Wildflower, and once you've gotten a taste of sourwood honey, you'll avoid clover honey like it was sugar water.

That reminds me. I'm out and need to order some more. Back somewhat on topic, it sure would be nice if there was a place to order a few pounds of honey and some sourwood log sections at the same time. . .

Back