• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Any good deals on "good" lathes

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Guys,

does anyone know about current or coming good deals/promotions on Powermatic, Nova, etc. lathes?

Thanks,
Alex

Something else to consider is to keep an active search going on ebay for any lathes you are particularly interested in.......I've seen some very good deals come and go on there from time to time.........

Searches will run for 6 months and automatically emails you when a match comes up......search is renewable twice a year, for as long as you wish.

OOC

Something else to consider is to keep an active search going on ebay for any lathes you are particularly interested in.......I've seen some very good deals come and go on there from time to time.........

Searches will run for 6 months and automatically emails you when a match comes up......search is renewable twice a year, for as long as you wish.

OOC

And if you don't have to have new you can place a WTB (want to buy) on your local Craigslist. I did this when I first got into penturning and got a great deal on everything I needed to turn pens (tools) and quite a few supplies to boot (kits and wood blanks).

And you may help someone out who needs the cash, times are tough right now alot of folks unloading tools so they can pay their bills.

Another good way to buy a used lathe is to watch your local auctions. They do not come up often, but when they do, you can get a great deal. Many auction houses have websites that you can check from home. Lathes are a large item, so if available, they should have a picture on the website.

Powermatic has a special on until 4/30. I think it is free shipping and may include extension bed. You can get details at Powermatic.com

HTH

Dave

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Unfortunately, Teknatool/WoodCraft just finished a sale on 31 March

For Powermatic, a place to check with is Equipment Surplus and Sales. They are (literally) next door to Jet/PowerMatic and can get some great deals on returns.

TTFN
Ralph

Vicmarc without a base

Alex,
I don't know if you would consider doing a little work to add a motor, controller and base, but a Vicmarc VL300 long bed without a base, motor or controller is under $3K and the motor and controller add another $500 for 2HP or $600 for 3HP - cheaper if you can find a used 3 phase motor. Adding the motor and controller is not really difficult. I'm getting one from Woodworker's Emporium and finishing it myself.
Dave

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Unfortunately, Teknatool/WoodCraft just finished a sale on 31 March

For Powermatic, a place to check with is Equipment Surplus and Sales. They are (literally) next door to Jet/PowerMatic and can get some great deals on returns.

TTFN
Ralph

It looks like they are a surplus end to Jet, but I just bought 5 faceplates off their Ebay store (can't have enough ya'know).

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Alex,

The best place to shop for lathes is the Symposium Trade show.

Vendors offer various "deals" on machines purchased at the symposium. at a minimum you can save shipping. We saved about $700 buying a lathe at Richmond.

The vendor contact information is posted:
http://www.woodturner.org/sym/sym2009/LahteProviders.pdf

The Symposium trade show is the only place on earth to see Powermatic, Oneway, Vicmarc, Robust, Stubby, Jet and others under one roof.

The best bargain you will find is on used machines. they don't stay on the market long. They are almost never "used" more than a few hours a week.

It would be a 2 day drive. Might be worth it for you.
Happy turning,
Al

I've been skulking here for a while and have been looking pretty hard for deals too. I think I might have found a used one.

Woodcraft has free shipping on their Jet lathes until the 29th. If this used one falls apart (or looks like it might), I'll probably go with the free shipping deal.

TL

Back