• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

More instruction!

Website
www.TheWriteWoodshop.com
I am reading and watching DVD's like they're going out of style.

I've made lots of spindle things.. pens, keychains and the like.
I've just started (in the last month or so) working on bowl turning skills.

I'm really looking for a class reasonably close to Northern Virginia with an instructor of reasonable skill, that is reasonably priced. I want to be able to talk about the tools, and exactly HOW to make a particular cut. Having a finished product at the end of the session is much less important than learning how to finish a project!

I'd love to see "professor" Ellsworth in Pennsylvania, but that little trip would cost me near $1000... I'm not ready for that yet!!

You get my drift, right? Any suggestions?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Go see Professor Grumbine. I don't know what he charges but he sure can teach bowl turning. If you don't want to do that at least get his DVD, it's excellent

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Fast Track

If you want to get good in a hurry

Take a basics course with David Fry in April
http://www.woodturner.org/community/members/members_pro.pl
David is a terrific teacher and fine person too.

Rough out 20 bowls in May

show up at Trent's class in June

You'll be well on your way!

Website
www.mikecunninghamwoodturner.com
Aaw

If you're an AAW member log in to the Member's area and search for instructors in the area that you're interested in. Actually you may not need to be a member to perform that function. Also look for AAW Chapters in your area, most have experienced turners who will help or will recommend area instructors. Mark St Leger, an excellent turner and instructor is in Va.

Look here: http://www.woodturner.org/community/members/members_pro.pl?submit=Edit+Teacher+Search

Mike

Last edited:
Website
www.TheWriteWoodshop.com
More info!

I've looked at all of these suggestions!

I'm a member of CAW, but the skill enhancement sessions are during the work day... I did get to one, and it was great! That's what got me started!!

I looked all over AAW, and found the list of classes and such. There are several close enough, and affordable enough, that I can probably find one to go to. I had not seen, however, the teacher search feature!! I'm working in there now!

Campbell is great, I've talked to other turners and carvers that have been there a lot. My problem is taking a week, or extra days for the weekend, to get there and back.

Good suggestions all, and my thanks for the direction! (I was unable to find the page related to (http://www.woodturner.org/community/...members_pro.pl)... even after I logged into AAW... not sure what the problem is.

I will look more for info about David Fry.

Thanks everyone!!

Instruction

Mdwine; I too am a member of CAW. Contact Annie Simpson from CAW. She is in charge of the mentoring program at CAW. Also, several of our members teach woodturning courses at the Bryant center. These are held evening. The same place where we hold our meetings....Jonathan Hess

ditto CAW mentoring program

I took advantage of it a few years ago and it significantly improved my turning skills. My mentor came to my shop and worked with me in my own environment- from my chain saw, band saw, grinder & lathe.

CAW is an amazing group with a truly talented bunch of people. Get a mentor and go bowling.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
mr. wine

You don't need a login to view the professional pages

On the AAW home page click "resources" at the top
on the resource page click "Professional directories"
on the right click "teaching Directories"

you can search on last name "Fry"

David Fry

Specialties: Woodturning instruction for individuals and couples in my studio. Also, team-teaching an intermediate class with eight students at Maryland Hall in Annapolis. Contact me at davidmfry@att.net. or (301) 320-2696.

David should be really convenient just over the line.
He can most likely work your schedule and his into a suitable arrangement.

good luck,
al

Back