• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Spring!

As I took the trash out I heard the sound, http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/audio/Sandhill_Crane.html then saw the cranes flying in. Heading for the river behind the house, where, I imagine they will find enough openings to survive on crayfish and the careless trout until the snow is gone. They nest about a quarter mile north of the house, and with luck they'll raise another chick this year. Not a sure thing, as we've discovered, though in a couple of good years they've fledged two.

The cherry log I set up on blocks last fall is about two-thirds out of the snowpack now, so I'll have to plan a couple of roughing days soon. I'll spalt the big birch beside it for a year or two, rolling every other month.

Yep always liked spring. Saw a bunch of geese headed north and some sandhill's in a corn field Friday. Saw some headed north almost a month ago which I thought was a bit early but hey what do I know.:cool2: Glad to see spring come.

still have some frost and we did get some snow this year, (1 snow = 5 inches)
the bradford pear trees are blooming and daffoldilds are up, the dogwood and redbud should be soon

how much flooding is expected in the north central and mississippi valley's from the heavy snow up there?????????

Pair of wood ducks arrived yesterday. The female took immediate aim on the nesting box at the edge of the pond. Despite the weather when the ducks arrive spring is here!

Jim

Soon our azaleas, Bradford pears and dogwoods will be in bloom. My Japanese maple will be popping out with its red leaves and the centipede will be greening up providing a luxurious green carpet background for all the short lived color.

Too bad Spring is about 2 days long here. Summer will descend and it will be 90 degrees and 90% humidity every day. I am not complaining because I love Summer almost as much as I love Spring.

An old fellow told me the only time you should be complaining about the weather was when you have 6 feet of earth separating you from it....

Pair of wood ducks arrived yesterday. The female took immediate aim on the nesting box at the edge of the pond. Despite the weather when the ducks arrive spring is here!

Jim

Y'know, I should do a couple of boxes down by the slower water. We have ducks, but I don't know where they're nesting. A box might be safer than casual holes. New bluebird houses this year to replace the 12-year old ones that are getting split and ugly.

http://www.epa.gov/glnpo/greenacres/wildones/handbk/wo26bird.html Be sure to nip the corners on the bottom for drainage.

The Nuthatches that mate annually in one of our bird houses seem to believe Spring has arrived here at the 2000 foot level too. The Robins that built their nest on the front porch last year are back but the one that chose to build a next on one of the back deck horizontal supports hasn't returned yet. There's still plenty of snow just above us but it doesn't seem to deter the geese that are flying high overhead and apparently on their way to the snow covered higher elevations to the north. I wonder if they might be a little premature in timing their journey. A few Jays, Rufus Side Towhee appeared this week too. Looks like I'll have to leave the house this week and clean up the sanctuary so they'll be more comfortable.

I'm up north, where I live in the snow rather than look up the slope at it. Did that when I was at Beale AFB, and it was a great place to grow eggplant down in the valley, but you had to put chains on to drive up to the snow. We usually waited until the requirement was lifted to go up and romp. We have a family tradition of Easter Sunday snowball fights rather than egg hunting.

Back