• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

OT Browser

Yes, and I love it.
The biggest pain is the bookmarks, you start from scratch, you can't import them easily.

Thanks David. Several years back I switched from Netscape to Firefox which of late is giving me headaches. Looking at the Chrome mini video tutorials, they indicate that importing bookmarks is a breeze??

Perhaps they have changed that aspect. I have been on chrome since day one, on day one importing bookmarks sucked.

R

Ron Sardo

Thanks David. Several years back I switched from Netscape to Firefox which of late is giving me headaches. Looking at the Chrome mini video tutorials, they indicate that importing bookmarks is a breeze??

I had a problem with FireFox on one of my computers. I backed up all my bookmarks and passwords then totally wiped FireFox from the harddrive.

Then I used http://www.ccleaner.com/ to clean the registry.

When I reinstalled Firefox, all the problems where gone.

Chrome - OK

I have played with chrome since day 1. I like it, I am still not as comfortable with it as I am with FF. Importing bookmarks from FF has not been a problem and since I use GMail, its incorporation to offline with gmail is flawless. It touted superior speed is not really evident but after using either one, any version of current IE is pathetic.

I really like all the add-ons that are available for FF. They make work a lot easier.

Website
www.abhats.com
I like Firefox. I regularly use Max Registery Cleaner to dump the Spyware so I don't have problems with it.

Lately, every evening when I turn off the computer Windows installs an update. Is this happening to everyone? :confused:

I pretty much do the same thing (Spybot instead) and have had no problems with Firefox at all. I would have erased Explorer, save for Microsoft Update not running on anything but. I downgraded to XP on my desktop a little over a year ago and all that updating every night went away. It's still supported and there are updates occasionally, but only once a week or so.

On top of Vista, another whole area of contention w/Microsoft: I finally had to upgrade to Office 2007 last month. Whatever happened to having computers be 'ubiquitous tools'? Everything's all inside out and upside down! I know that eventually I'll learn to work the way some college grads think I should. Laying on a couch with keyboard in one hand and a piece of cold pizza in the other while typing isn't quite what I envisioned. At 65, I'd sort of found how I thought I should be doing things - guess I was wrong.

I used to be one of those University students.
A couple of years ago the wife and I stood back and self assessed. I have no idea what kind of pc this thing is, the one before it I built myself. We canceled our cable, nothing but crap on. We decided to do more together and better use our time for more productive things. The pc is a tool just like the lathe, for me it allows two way communication with the more distant turning world.

I'm doing Firefox, because they took over Mozilla, and because I couldn't get Java to run properly in IE. MSoft was real helpful on that one, the message said talk to Sun. I like to do the crosswords, so now I hardly use IE.

Office is a real pain at times. I hate the "smarter-than-thou" bulleting and paragraphs a lot. The way they try to manipulate us humans you'd think they were a public restroom where you can get (cold) water only if you play the game, and one 8-inch piece of towel. The bot does remember to flush, a plus from the days of the old public toilets.

As I understand it, the W7 is supposed to let you dump IE altogether, though it was a semigeek path to do so. European antitrust settlement condition on that, I believe.

Do not regret the passing of Netscape, which made IE look good.

I have not tried Chrome, but have been using Opera for a few months and like the speed and it does import your bookmarks and cookies. I have heard good things about Safari and will be checking it out this weekend.

Website
www.digitalwinners.com
One thing to think about when selecting a browser, is it's compliance with World Wide Web Consortium (w3c) specifications. IE could get away with goofy implementations of some features, because they had (or have) such a high percentage of the browser market. Web designers sometimes take advantage of those features to design web sites that are not W3C compliant, but work just fine with IE.

Chrome isn't listed yet, but here's a breakdown of how IE, Firefox, and Opera stack up http://www.webdevout.net/browser-support-summary

Back