• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

1/2 OT: Anyone use FrontPage?

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Before I toss my computer out the window, if any one uses FrontPage, could you help me with a technical issue. There are 2 pictures on my index page that I have hyper-linked to another page. I want one of the pictures to link to a specific frame, lower on that page. So I (sort of) figured how to do that but (a big BUT), it changes the other picture to go to that same spot. I don't want that! I did one picture, hyperlink, save, publish, go back, did the second picture to the specified frame, save, publish .........it changed the first picture again.

Please help while I am still sane!

Thanks,
Ruth

Ruth

I used to use it alot - not so much anymore

However - it would be eaiser to see what you are talking about - is it live on your site already or can you put it there somewhere so I can see the problem and the code?

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
I certainly hope it's live.....just so I can kill it !!! kidding, but it can work on one's nerves.

I have the first picture, 3 bottle stoppers, linked to the "SS Bottle Stoppers" page, it just goes to the top of that page and that's good. I'm trying to link the second picture, the "Package" offer/deal, to that frame or place on the "SS Bottle Stoppers" page. I did it with one picture, it went to a specified place on that page in FrontPage, but when I published it, it still went just to the top of the page.

Oh, I hope you can find that it's just a very simple click, click, click....done!

: )

Website
www.scrollsaws.com
Front Page

As I recall back when I used Front Page. You will need to place a bookmark on the page where the kits are. Then link the second picture to the bookmark.

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Rick, that's what I did. Then I linked the first picture to the page and when I linked the second picture to the bookmark words, it changed the link on the first picture to go to those words, too.

It's sort of like when you set Word to correct grammar and you want to put something on the next line and it keeps automatically making the first letter in the first word a capital. Machines are too smart, they think they know what's best! ggrrrrr

Looks like they are both linked to the page now, so I assume you went back to the original version.

The technique sounds right - did you try to make the change again and re-publish?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I took a quick look at your site and presume that you have fixed the problem by now -- however, I did not notice any pages on your site that used frames. You might be confusing frames with tables. I have quite a few years experience using FrontPage and several other editors, but I usually refine the code by hand to keep it from getting too cluttered with unnecessary code which a perennial problem with all HTML editors.

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Sorry, I did mean table not frame but I do the tables so they don't show on the site.

It's not fixed, both the links just go to the right page, I tried relinking and replublishing but it just doesn't pay any attention to what I want.

If anyone can give me specific instructions, just email me so we don't use up "turning" space here. :)

rthniles@yahoo.com

Thanks

Website
www.abhats.com
I've used FP since 2003 to maintain our website, but since I've not tried doing anything quite like what you're doing, I've never run into any problems with it. Microsoft replaced FP with ExpressionWeb some time back, and I've decided to 'upgrade' finally.

My problem is that I've been experiencing a severe learning curve problem. I'm not interested in becoming a web expert, maven or designer; just maintaining a site. We're considering engaging a for-real designer to come up with a totally new site (tried this once a year or so back, but it didn't work out), but I will still need to update it with text, different photos and other items periodically. Just like with the new Office, I wonder where the concept of computers and applications being ubiquitous tools went. I'm left feeling like my hammer has evolved into a pneumatic jack hammer and no one told me. (Kind of hard hanging a picture on your living room wall with a jack hammer!)

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Walt, I checked with a few people about doing my website when I was in tears (literally!) trying to learn this program and basic design. I didn't have the money so decided to stick with it and, eventually, I did learn. Obviously, I didn't learn everything but someone will teach me how to do this, too!

If there's anything I can help you with, heck the blind leading the blind isn't all so bad. :D

This will probably require using the 'view code' tab and directly editing the code on your pages. You need to place a named anchor at the place in the page you are linking to - it would look something like: '<a id="here"></a>' You can place different named anchors wherever you want to link to a specific spot. Its not uncommon to see a 'top' anchor and multiple 'Return to top' links in long documents.

Then edit the link code on the calling page so that it looks like:
<a href='http://host.domain.tld/stoppers.html#here'...> where you add the '#' and the name of the anchor to the link. BTW, a return to top link would look like:
<a id='top'>This is the top</a>
<A href="#top">Return to top</a> <-- this links to a named anchor in the same doc

Hope that helps more than it confuses.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Walt, I checked with a few people about doing my website when I was in tears (literally!) trying to learn this program and basic design. I didn't have the money so decided to stick with it and, eventually, I did learn. Obviously, I didn't learn everything but someone will teach me how to do this, too!

If there's anything I can help you with, heck the blind leading the blind isn't all so bad. :D

New PM sent.

This will probably require using the 'view code' tab and directly editing the code on your pages. You need to place a named anchor at the place in the page you are linking to - it would look something like: '<a id="here"></a>' You can place different named anchors wherever you want to link to a specific spot. Its not uncommon to see a 'top' anchor and multiple 'Return to top' links in long documents.

Then edit the link code on the calling page so that it looks like:
<a href='http://host.domain.tld/stoppers.html#here'...> where you add the '#' and the name of the anchor to the link. BTW, a return to top link would look like:
<a id='top'>This is the top</a>
<A href="#top">Return to top</a> <-- this links to a named anchor in the same doc

Hope that helps more than it confuses.

I thought that Ruth was wanting to fix a problem with images on a page -- or is the problem bookmarking a page as you are describing. Although some web sites still use bookmarking, very long web pages are generally not very desirable because of display problems when considering all of the various monitor sizes and resolutions along with consistency between different browsers.

Also, where you give the example for setting up bookmarking, relative linking is preferred to absolute linking and the reference needs to be in double quotes rather than single quotes.

EDIT: I checked beck through the thread and did not see anything about bookmarking.

Last edited:
Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
Thom Sturgill has the correct solution, Ruth. You need to add an HTML anchor in the code where that package deal is, then add the anchor name to the end of the link with a #.

Very likely Front Page has a way of doing this, look for "anchor" or "add anchor" in the menus. I am not at all familiar with FP but it's likely in the dialog box where you add links.

Added a few minutes later:

Ruth, this is the link that will go directly down to that table of the package deal:
http://www.torne-lignum.com/stoppers.html#table24

Last edited:
Thom Sturgill has the correct solution, Ruth. You need to add an HTML anchor in the code where that package deal is, then add the anchor name to the end of the link with a #.

Very likely Front Page has a way of doing this, look for "anchor" or "add anchor" in the menus. I am not at all familiar with FP but it's likely in the dialog box where you add links.

Added a few minutes later:

Ruth, this is the link that will go directly down to that table of the package deal:
http://www.torne-lignum.com/stoppers.html#table24

Ruth, in addition to adding the code as Ken has told you, it looks like you also need to delete the section of code, "target=_self", from the anchor. It is trying to direct the link to the same page as the href you have coded.

Back