• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Slippery Finish

I'm looking to run an excercise titled "Pretty but Useless" and the constraints for this excercise is that whatever I make has to be pretty (aka Look Good) and be otherwise unusable or designed so the end user would not want to use it.

For example, I'm thinking of making a bottle stopper that looks good, but is designed in a way that the user couldn't pull it out or put it in very easily. So I'm thinking of making a small cone shaped stopper with a sharp point on top with a maximum diameter which is smaller than the opening of the bottle, but also sits flush with the top of the bottle. But I'm also wondering if there is a finish that I could put on it which would make it slippery to the touch.

Another idea I had, but rejected for my medical reasons, was to make a nice pen...out of Poison Oak.

Thoughts?

I love the poison oak pen idea :eek:
But you might find yourself in court over that one.
How 'bout a cup with a hole in the bottom
An ear ring that weights about five pounds
A bracelet with an opening diameter of about 7 or 8 inches
A pepper grinder that turns but doesn't grind pepper
Slippery finish??? Can't that one in the sights. Sorry.....

I love the poison oak pen idea :eek:
But you might find yourself in court over that one.

Woodturning Design had an article about making a pen from poison ivy 2 years ago. They key is to dry the vine thoroughly.

I went out and clipped some English Ivy and have it drying. :cool2:

John:)

SHiny and Spiny

Some of the pieces I have found really interesting are vessels and goblets that are shiny or show interesting texture but are protected by many spines, quills, or sharpened cones. Something like a bottle stopper that is meant to be regularly handled and also has points would be an interesting contradiction.

What about something for which wood would be a totally inappropriate material? The first thing that came to my mind was a wooden frying pan.

Back