• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

wood identification

Website
www.massmans.org
These were all purchased from Hibdon Hardwood in St. Louis. They always have a great sale the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. The only problem is that you can buy from a scrap bin where nothing is marked by species name. So you have no idea on some unless you have turned it before. These were all new to me so I dont know them but they look great.

For some help here is Hbdon's list of some of the woods they sell. They could have placed some uncommon to them woods in the bin so it may not help.
http://www.hibdonhardwood.com/albumspecies.htm

Pictures of the three woods I need help with are attached.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• unknown2.jpg
    unknown2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 75
  • unknown3.jpg
    unknown3.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 74
  • unknown1.jpg
    unknown1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 70
Actually, the third one looks more like East Indian Rosewood from my viewpoint. But it could be Cocobolo, if so it would be a lower grade Cocobolo without the more usual red and black tones.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
The first one might be Tulip wood, the last is definitely Cocobolo. I've seen the middle wood but my brain isn't working very well today.

Wood ID

I thought that the middle one looked like Paela. If you go to the Hibdon site and click on the wood name, a photo of that wood comes up.

So, now that you have a name, how are things changed? Pretty wood is pretty wood. You might be able to use the scientific data to avoid a wood to which you have developed a sensitivity, but common names, which can vary with national boundaries, languages, and even retailers should be regarded with caution.

With many woods, the entire genus or even family share the same characteristics.

I’ve noticed when I try to foist a turned object on an unsuspecting friend or relative, the first question inevitably is “what is that supposed to be†followed by “I meant, what kind of wood is that†Even if its fog wood, people seem to just want a name. Human nature?

cc

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Names matter.....

So, now that you have a name, how are things changed? Pretty wood is pretty wood.

Things have changed in that now that he has names for these woods, he can be more confident in supplying this information when signing, selling, or gifting the pieces he has created. People want to know what wood the work is made from, and by providing this simple information, the value of the piece is increased. Pretty wood or not, being able to put the correct name of the wood on the piece, or include it in sales information, is an important part of the process.

You might be able to use the scientific data to avoid a wood to which you have developed a sensitivity, but common names, which can vary with national boundaries, languages, and even retailers should be regarded with caution.

I agree that there are major problems with common names (for wood, or for any other organism) as Michael describes (as a botanist, I deal with these problems routinely), but at least a less-than-optimal name is better than no name at all.....

Rob Wallace

Wood Names?

I agree that for aesthetic purposes names don't mean too much. However, If one works with wood, then knowing the proper name of that wood is not unimportant. As we've already seen identification can be tricky. It's very difficult to find (or avoid) particular wood species if we don't know their names. Do we go to the lumber yard and just ask for wood? As previously mentioned, names are particularly important concerning allergic reactions to certain woods. Even common names, such as Rosewood, can be incomplete or even confusing. I know I'm allergic to some Rosewood and not others. Botanical names are much more accurate for exact identification. I'm not suggesting one should be fanatical about names, but I believe wood identification should be important to woodworkers and sharing that knowledge is more than an exercise in trivia.

As they say at the airport, "match your claim check. Many bags look alike."

Or not. Acer rubrum

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/GoodOnesGone/Bottom-Tenon-Box-2.jpg Top and bottom.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/GoodOnesGone/ShellacOverhead.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/GoodOnesGone/Work-or-Look-One.jpg

Of course the lumber yard sells us "soft maple", including A rubrum, as well as others in the same stack. Same for "birch," where the differences between a couple of our local "yellow" birches is greater in appearance than the difference between yellow and white.

Back