• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Box Elder

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
As near as I can tell there isn't one. The finishes with High UV increase the time it will stay red but not by a whole lot. The best bet is to keep is out of direct sun.
I tried a test using several different finishes and to test it to the extreme I put the pieces outside. Within a few days all the red had turned brown no matter what the finihs.
Binh Pho uses metalic dyes to air brush over the color with the same color. The metalic dyes will last a very long time.

Website
www.la-truciolara.com
As john says there is unfortunately no other way than dying the wood.

You might have notice too that what ever the nature of the wood, if left outside it always tuns grey. That is the way nature protects the wood prior to destroy it. Our pieces, sooner or later, always turn brown, unfortunately

Hi Paul. Welcome.

We had a thread here on this subject several months ago, during which several things were discussed.

Attempting to see if anything other than a dark closet would work, I give a sample of the wood to a friend of mine who is a phd microbiologist and organic chemist and is part of senior management for a major drug company here in New Jersey. He came back to me within hours on a Saturday afternoon with the identification of the actual chemical compounds comprising the red, known as "phenolics", but noted that their molecular composition is pretty fragile making them easily broken down by even weak UV light or heat. He was going to try to see if there could be some way to "fix" or preserve the color with an additive.

Last time I spoke to him he said he was having no luck thus far, and didn't seem hopeful. He mentioned that Pho's air brushed dye would most likely be the only way to preserve the "natural design" of the original colorings.

mm

Thank you for your replies. The consensus seems to be that there is no way to save the red. I have a beautiful Camphor crotch with the feather outlined in red that will probably fade also. Sad.

Back