• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

the work of Gary Ljostad

Website
www.eltornidor.eu
Dear woodturners,
On your main page we can show the "big" work of Gary Ljostad, from me many many compliments.
I will notice that an italian woodturner call Claude Arragon (born in France) says that he made this work, in this page of italian forum:
http://forum.il-legno.it/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24188&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
can you explain me that?
Sorry for my bad english, good woodturning to all american woodturners,
Marco Bevilacqua (Italy)

Last edited by a moderator:
Buonjourno, Marco. (Sorry for my bad? Italian). Your link opens a "guest" visit, not what you intended I think. It wouldn't matter much anyway, because I don't read Italian very well.

Claude is a member here, as well as on at least one other forum where I participate. He teaches woodturning in Verona, and sometimes posts the work of students and friends, but I don't remember his ever posting any such as his own work. Perhaps an error in translation?

For the most reliable interpretation, I suggest you post a gentlemanly "Private Message" to him from here. Should be available from the "Members List" in the menu bar. The other forum in your link may also have such a feature. [And you can do either in Italian, of course.]

Joe

Last edited:
Website
www.eltornidor.eu
Dear Joe,
he post in italian woodturners forum "Il Legno" (www.il-legno.it) the work of Gary Ljostad and don't says if he made this or other woodturner made this, but he explain that he don't make an tutorial (is usually on particular works on this italian forum) because we can immagine how this can made.
Usually he post works of others woodturner and don't say if this is his or of others, than all italian woodturners who write in this forum give ti him very compliments because they immagine is Claude's work.
Marco

Hello Marco,
My knowledge of Italian is too small to attempt visiting that forum. My experience on another forum is that Claude has always given credit to the artist. To give Claude the benefit of the doubt, he has been rebuilding his studio and school for the past few months, and his forum visits are not frequent anyway.

These links represent some of my experience with his posts:
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=73235
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=76122
I can provide more if you like.

And this:
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=56108
was my inspiration for this: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=66558

It may be that Claude has not yet had an opportunity to correct the misunderstanding on your forum.

Judge not, etc.

Ciao,
Joe

Website
www.la-truciolara.com
Good evening Joe

Marco Bevilacqua is well known on our Italian forum as a person who always try to make problems and the administration of the forum is considering take stances in his regards.
Many thanks and see you soon.
I am finally out of the problems of the refurbishment of the lab and had my first 10 students.
It was worth the effort.
I'll have some of your co-nationals this spring.
Good shavings
Claude

Last edited:
It is very nice to know that we are truly part of an international community when it comes to woodturning. Thanks very much to Joe for showing the links to some of the sites in other countries. Marco, while I applaud your efforts to shed some light on a possible problem, I agree with Joe that you should direct your efforts directly to Claude, or even to the forum administrators of Il Legno. (I would very much enjoy that forum - perhaps it could be available in English as well.)

Claude's website, and his efforts in the teaching arena would lead me to conclude that he would, of course, be well aware of the problems associated with taking credit for someone else's work, whether in the international community, or the national community. Claude, thank you for your input.

Joe, many thanks for your contributions, well spoken and reasoned!

Kurt

Bowl In A Box

I received a nice E-Mail from Claude, he explained that he took the liberty of posting my "Bowl In A Box" turning on his forum in Italy. He was very complimentary and hoped I didn't mind his sharing my turning with his fellow Italian turners. I let him know that I was honored that he thought my work worthy. He also provided me with a translation of what he posted. It's great to know that our forum is shared around the world.
Gary Ljostad

Website
www.eltornidor.eu
When Claude post some work of others woodturners, he didn't say who is creator,
the others give to him some questions and he explain how can made, but, everytime, he omit who is the creator,
then i and others woodturners ask to him who is creator and after a lot of requires he answer, why?
Sorry Claude, but the administration of the forum is considering take stances in yours regards.
Unfortunatelly in this forum people speak america or english e not italian, so they can't read italian forum "www.il-legno.it".
Thank so much to Gary, yours works is so beautiful.
Best regards
Marco

Website
www.la-truciolara.com
Gary
Something totally different, more classical and of course derived from the word master of eccentric turning, my friend Jean François Escoulen, here is what I have turned
It is a three pieces turning. A Box in sicamore, 6 1/2 tall, diameter 6", and a 10" off centered stem in box wood.
(I finally understood how to put a photo of 100kb on the forum and in the album)

Attachments

• 25 cm.jpg
    25 cm.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
(I finally understood how to put a photo of 100kb on the forum and in the album)

Thank Goodness for THAT. Claude, please visit your forums more frequently, to reduce (some of) the confusion. If you saw the movie, Cool Hand Luke, remember "What we have here is a failure to communicate.";)

Joe

Beautiful work Claude. Thanks for posting. Hope to see more of your work. I have never tried working with an Escoulen chuck, but after seeing your work I may have to try. Gary.

Website
www.eltornidor.eu
Beautiful work Claude. Thanks for posting. Hope to see more of your work. I have never tried working with an Escoulen chuck, but after seeing your work I may have to try. Gary.
Some of this works can made wihtout escoulen chuck, this chuck is too expensive for me and i found an alternative, very very simple,
Marco

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
Since there is an obvious language barrier here, I am closing this thread which is going nowhere much too slowly.

Guys, GO TURN SOME WOOD, take some pictures and post them in the Gallery (at your leisure, of course).

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
Re-opened

Apologies to Marco and Ron for cutting off your dialog prematurely, I feared it would just keep going as it was.
Marco, if you are still with us can you post your method for getting the same effect as the Escoulen chuck please?

Website
www.eltornidor.eu
Apologies to Marco and Ron for cutting off your dialog prematurely, I feared it would just keep going as it was.
Marco, if you are still with us can you post your method for getting the same effect as the Escoulen chuck please?
Very gladly,
if you turn an sfere on extremity of yur wood and now if you take sfere with your long jaws on chuck you can to get the same effect like an Escoulen chuck. I know that Esculen chuck is better but is too expensive for me.
bye
Marco

R

Ron Sardo

Basically what you are saying is to mount it off-center on a chuck.

R

Ron Sardo

Obviously is better with an escoulen chuck, but i wont to get by with this expedient.
But the job that I like more is turning bowls.
Marco

Not necessarily.
It seems we both have the same idea.

I have mounted a flat board between two jaws of a chuck then used double stick tape or a few screws to mount the project. I achieved the same effect as with a escoulen chuck.

But the job that I like more is turning boxes.

Ron, what are the buttons on that adjust-a-jaw made from? Are they original or did you replace them? I'm not fond of the rubber buttons on the cole jaws occasionally the need to remove black marks on lighter pieces is a pain.

R

Ron Sardo

Jake

John Lucas posted this pdf on another forum today, he also wrote the article. Hopefully he will show up and answer your question.

Rubber "corks" for test tubes, with a central hole, would be best. But shallower bumpers, usually used to protect surfaces against doorknob impact, are easier to find.

Google ["longworth chuck"] for more information.

Look here: http://n-fl-woodturners.org/images/2007-07/2007-07-09.jpg

The half holes on the perimeter of the back disk enable one-hand adjustment before tightening the bumpers. The four-button version was the second variation; now only used for rosettes.

Joe

Back