• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Delta Midi Troubleshoot

Has anyone run into problems with tightening a tool rest on the Delta Midi Lathe?

541Banjo_Knob.jpg

I noticed that the threaded portion on this handle is a bit too short and doesn't allow for tightening down the tool rest, resulting in occasional movement. The problem is amplified when a heavier rest (12") is used

Further, has anyone come up with a better and more reliable way for tightening down the rest in place so it doesn't move? If so, I would love to hear what your doing.

Thanks for any help in advance.

bonsaipeter

Peter Toch
Delta Mini Lathe

Hi:
There have seen problems with the tightening levers on the Delta Midi lathes. I am the assistant manager of the Woodcraft Store in Roanoke, VA and have seen this before. Most of the time the problem is with the plastic fitting on the screw cap slipping and therefore you can not properly tighen the screw onto the tool post to keep the tool rest in place. Delta has started to recognize the problem and I am told that they are coming out with ones made entirely out of metal. We use Delta Midi lathes in our store's classroom where I teach turning. I have received from our Delta rep. some of these newer metal ones to replace some of the slipping plastic ones and they work fine. I suggest you call Delta at: 1-800-BAD-PART, and request a new tool post tightening handle and also request one made entirely out of metal. Before you call make sure you have in hand: the model number and serial number of your lathe (found on the back of the lathe) and the part number of the part to be replaced (from the parts list in the owner's manual). Delta should replace it free of charge. In spite of the above problem, the Delta Midi Lathe is a good machine and with reasonable care should give you many years of good service.

Good luck,

Peter

Thanks Peter

The new part seems like it addresses the issue perfectly. I failed the mention the slipping part which you also mentioned as well. I going to give them a call. Thanks for taking time out to offer that.

Patrick

So much for that

Peter,

I called them this afternoon and the Delta Woodworking Company vehemently DENIED that they ever made a followup handle assembly that is all metal. The lady helping stated that she talked to the technician and he said something like "I don't know why these Internet people are speaking for us". Long story short she was going to send me another plastic handle.

I suppose if I can't get something to satisfactorily hold the tool rest in place, then the lathe is inoperable? Unfortunately, not one of my better afternoons with customer service... :eek:

Thanks again for the help.

Midi

I also call Delta and recieved the same answer. They sent me two of the plastic one's. I found a short metric bolt works to get by with,but is a pain.Halsey

There was a thread a long time ago on the rec about getting replacement handles for the Delta and someone said they got them from Reid Tool Co. I saw the handles in their catalog, but never got around to matching the correct metric sizes, and hence I never purchased any. Several months ago I needed to replace the handles before a demo and just ordered off of the Delta site - when the handles came they were metal. Part number 913386. I got 3 of them and a couple of washers for about $25 - probably not the best price, but quick and easy.

bonsaipeter

Peter Toch
Here's the Deal

I did some checking today to get the story straight on the handle assemblies on the Delta Midi Lathes. I first spoke with the fellow who was the Delta Midi Lathe product manager up until approx. 6 mo. ago (he has since left Delta). He told me that about a year ago Delta recognized the problem with the plastic handle assemblies and that they started making the transition to an all metal version. I then spoke to our Woodcraft store's Delta rep. who confirmed the story about the change to all metal handle assemblies and has actually sent some to me to replace defective plastic ones on Midi Lathes in our store's class room. The Delta part number for the all metal handle assembly is 913386 (same as received by Pete Kekel earlier in this thread). This part number is shown in Delta's latest on-line Parts List WL-11-A dated 01-26-05. I was also told by our Delta rep that the new lathes are being manufactured with the 913386 all metal handle assemblies.

Patrick, I suggest that you call Delta again and gently, but firmly request the all metal handle assembly P/N 913386. I'd be interested to hear how you make out this time.

Peter

Back