• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

I broke my Jet 1442

I've manage to break my Jet 1442. I manged to get a catch that stalled the motor . It clicked a couple of times before I managed to hit the off button. Now it doesn't do anything when I try and turn it on. Now the on off switch doesn't seem to have full travel. I unplugged it and hope that it will be all better when it cools down. OK that isn't likely to happen. :(

I can't find list of Jet repair centers. Does anyone know of one near SE Alabama. The unit is several years past warrenty so I guess anyone could work on it. Assume that I am completely stupid when it comes to this sort of thing-- Any advice ?

Doubt it's "broken" but you may have a switch problem. When you hit the panic button, you may have dislodged the little slide-out lock thingy on your safety switch which would explain the difference in the switch's feel. If that piece of plastic is not fully engaged in the switch, it will not turn on. You might also check around the lathe to see if it dropped out on the floor. Should be a simple matter to reengage it. Check your owner's manual.

[Same thing happened to the guy who bought my 1236. It was an easy fix]:D

I would suggest that you call tech support at jet tools. 800-274-6848 is the last number I used. They've always been very helpful when I've called.

If "doesn't do anything" means the motor doesn't come on at all, then Mark's solution is a real possibility. Of course it could be a broken belt that's jammed up in the reeves drive. If the motor comes on, but the spindle doesn't turn then I would definitely suspect a broken belt. You only have to remove a couple screws to see the puley and belt. They are under the white boxy metal cover by the motor on the back of the lathe. Unplug the lathe before you go sticking your fingers in there.

Ed

I think it is switch. I took it out and can't find any sliding parts but it doesn't work right. I ordered a new part and will try that when it comes in. Thanks for help

Good to hear. Switch on my 3000 was a POS as well. Probably no more than a dime (wholesale) involved in getting some good alloy on the contacts.

Points up the real value of a volt-ohmmeter around the house. Used to be part of my standard wedding gift, accompanying a Readers' Digest how to fix anything book.

Back