• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

best chuck to buy? Talon or Nova or other?

I am going to buy a chuck for my JET 1236. I am thinking either the Talon or Nova, unless there is another good option, being new to this stuff I figured it is best to get opinions.

Thanks!!!!!

Nova Way

Mopfan,

I have a 1236 and purchased the Oneway Talon with it. I have been pleased with its holding ability and compact size. However, if you are planning on holding larger items, realize that wide open jaws are a major safety concern because they stick out so far when you are grabbing that big item. There are ways around this of course, but if I had it to do over, I might get a 'bigger' chuck. This talon is an extremely well made item (as are most things tagged by OneWay)

I went with supernova II primarilly as I have an older nova and lots of jaw sets I still wanted to be able to use. I also really like the allen key construction. Bummer they couldn't have made it turn in a clockwise fashion to tighten.

Wood magazine did a review a while back and supernova and oneway were equivelent in compression.

Dietrich

Website
www.phoenixwood.ca
the Oneway Stronghold

if you plan on more heafty pieces the bigger chuck might be more useful and you can get wider jaws plus the mini or jumbo jaws- although not sure if the talon will accept them

Dietrich - could you expand on how they measured the compression??

you'll have to pull the article but I'm guessing that they cranked it down on a meter and registered compression/foot lbs on the key.

I was really surprised to see that they got good compression and hold from the Grizzly chuck. I'd always assumed that it would be poorly made and marginal at best. My bad.

Dietrich

#3 jaws for the Talon

Mopfan,
I presently own a Supernova and a Oneway Talon. I have the cole jaws mounted on the Nova and still have the original jaws on the Talon. The Talon works great for turning lidded boxes and small to medium bowls and other similar turnings but is not hefty enough for larger work. I am thinking about upgrading to the Oneway Stronghold, but the price cuts into my reserve for purchasing a new lathe (Jet 1642 or PM 3520).

The other less expensive option I am considering are the #3 jaws for the Oneway Talon. The #3 jaws are considerably larger than the original jaws that came with the chuck. I saw a set of these the other day in Woodcraft for around 35 or 40 dollars. No doubt, they will increase the holding ability of the chuck due to the wider grip on the foot of the bowl offseting the force of the chisel exerted against it. I was thinking this might be a "less expensive" option that will still give me the strength I need to hold larger objects when the new lathe replaces the current Jet 1236 that I own. Then after the new lathe gets here I can start my reserve fund for a Oneway Stronghold and on it goes....

I post all this because if you fall in love with the errr...hobby/craft/art (see "plagiarism" thread) as I did, then I am rather sure you will be purchasing bigger and better "stuff".

P.S. I know that Dewey will assume and conclude that I am doing an "auto ad thing" since I mentioned Woodcraft, but it just happened to be where I saw the jaws.

Coach,

The Talon is well suited to the 1236, and will easily hold anything that that lathe can spin. The standard jaws are very good in compression mode. The geared key can be fussy at times (I much prefer the sealed back/allen key configuration of Vicmarc chucks), so it's good to develop the habit of tightening twice through different ports.

When you get a Much Bigger Lathe, you can keep the chuck and change adapters ($25) to use with small items, so your investment will survive the change.

:D

Jaw's

HI turner's this is my first post and I also have both the Supernova and talon
chucks and as strange as it seem's most jaw set's of both chuck's are interchangable. I just finished a "14x8" bowl out of yellow birch and it work's fine. I installed the talon #3 jaw's on the supernova ,and on the workbench
opened and closed repeatedly and they worked perfectly.check it out!

sorry guys been MIA due to FB clinics & work but now I have time to cath up. I think from what I am reading the Talon is the way to go for now anyways.....Thanks Again!!

Back