• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

buttons

I have a request to turn some buttons from fine woods. Do any of you have any experience or suggestions on turning buttons?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've made exactly one. I was doing a demo on turning Tagua and since one of the early references was that buttons were made from it, I turned one. turn the front side and then part it off using the toe of the skew to do most of the work. that leaves very little to sand. Drilling the holes accurately was the hard part.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Drilling the holes accurately was the hard part.

Couldn't the spindle index be used for that? I've never done it, but it seems like the index could help.......

otis of cologne

try looking at the spring 2006 AAW journal page 40 it has a small article on turning buttons. If you don't have one you can order one from AAW or maybe a local club member may have one that you could use.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Odie I drilled 4 holes offcenter just like a 4 hole button and I guess you could have used an index wheel but you would have to mount a drill guide off center. I just eyeballed it and used a dremel by hand. If I was going to do a bunch of them I would rig up a jig to fit on my cross feed table and drill the holes on the drill press. Of course drilling by hand adds to the hand made look because each button will be slightly off.

try looking at the spring 2006 AAW journal page 40 it has a small article on turning buttons. If you don't have one you can order one from AAW or maybe a local club member may have one that you could use.

Thanks for highlighting the button article, but it's on page 40 of the Winter 2006 AAW journal.

I'm with John. The whole point of hand turning buttons is to leave that fabric store look behind. A tiny bit of variation is a cool thing. Just make a little marker jig or sit a machine made button on top as a drill guide. Very high speed is your friend (to keep from cracking the buttons) when drilling.

dk

Back