• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tiger Walnut

Hi all, this is my first post and I'd like to get opinions on the following.

I've got a piece of Tiger Walnut that I'm making a Crushgrind peppermill out of. Is this a suitable timber for a peppermill? As I'm turning/drilling it, the timber is very fragrant, will this affect the finished product?

TIA

Bob

Peppermills

Bob,
First, welcome! Glad to see you here in the forums. Now, for your question, it has been my experience in the 50+ mills that I have turned that you can use almost any wood. If you think the fragrance may affect the pepper, simply seal the inside of the mill with sanding sealer, etc. Once the sealer fumes die away, the inside should be pretty much odor free. This also works on woods that are still wet. Sure would like to see a photo of the mill when finished. I don't know that I've seen much tiger walnut. Good luck!
Kurt:)

R

Ron Sardo

Hi all, this is my first post and I'd like to get opinions on the following.

I've got a piece of Tiger Walnut that I'm making a Crushgrind peppermill out of. Is this a suitable timber for a peppermill? As I'm turning/drilling it, the timber is very fragrant, will this affect the finished product?

TIA

Bob

All wood has some sort of fragrance when first cut. I wouldn't worry about it to much, the smell will dissipate eventually.

I don't use any kind of finish inside a pepper mill, the peppercorns where wear off the finish in no time. While it "May" not hurt me, I'd rather not sprinkle a poly finish over my food.

When you look at the toxicity of woods used with foods, you really got to take into account volume here.

Yes, a wood may have a high toxicity but you're usually talking about an application where food is in contact with it, not actually eating the wood. And even with that, there's an awful lot of wood out there that will irritate the crap out of your sinuses, eyes, and lungs but will pass right on through our quite robust digestive systems. The pepper it's holding is much more irritating and toxic than pretty much any wood you'd put it in.

The only exceptions I know to this would be some of the woods that can cause strong allergic reactions, such as cocobola and ebony, and even then, you're probably running a higher risk of getting the allergic reaction from the pepper than the wood.

Enjoy the cool wood,
Dietrich

I emailed my supplier in Sydney. Apparantly the wood is Brazilian Imbuia Walnut and is suitable for most things including peppermills.

Thank you to all that responded.

Bob

Back