• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Black, shiny, aerosol finishes?

I have a need for an odd finish that I'd like to solicit the Forum's thoughts on...

I'm turning a piece that has a lot of very rough natural surfaces in it, but there will also be the finished turned surfaces. I want it to be completely black (inspired by the AW article last year) and the turned surfaces will be polished with small buffing wheels and Beall compound.

I was thinking about using multiple coats of black lacquer, but how would I get a good application on both the natural and turned surfaces? Does anyone make an aerosol can of the stuff? What about thinning the lacquer and using a pump sprayer to apply the stuff?

Is there another finish besides black lacquer that anyone can think of?

As always, the advice here is much appreciated.

Airbrush/critter or small HVLP spray gun and automotive lacquer would do the job, I should think. You can use this piece as justification for purchasing one. If you don't have compressed air you'll have to make your own deal with the wife. Not sure mine would go a compressor for a single experiment, and she's pretty tolerant.

The cans are there, if you can't swing it. PEP Boys.

Suggestion. Overcoat with clear after you blacken. Looks good on a vehicle.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I would use a dye to color the piece and then your favorite clear finish to apply the gloss. I use either shoe dye to black analine dye to color the work. I usually use lacquer for the finish.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I prefer dying and then clear lacquer. Depends on what equipment you have, but I dye with metalized dyes from Liberon and then shoot many coats of Hood solvent based lacquer over it. I think you get better depth that way than shooting colors through all coats.

One of the turners at my club swears by 'Bumper Paint' he picks up at the auto store.
He gets a glossy black finish, pretty plastic looking but nice.
He sometimes uses it on one of those pieces where the form is perfect but the wood is nothing to write home about.

Mark.

If the entire piece was finished in gloss black a spray finish might work. But you describe a piece with a variety of surfaces and that would be a nightmare (unless you've got air brush skills honed) to try and achieve. So I'd opt for the dye and series of clear finish coats. Careful of shoe dye; some of it can dry with a purple cast that isn't very attractive (unless you like purple of course):p

Back