• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Is there an easy way to read the AAW forums via an RSS feed?

I sometimes feed myself a sandwich or a snack while reading the forum, but that probably doesn't help you much.

I guess I've finally become a technological dinosaur. I don't even understand the question.

Ed

I sometimes feed myself a sandwich or a snack while reading the forum, but that probably doesn't help you much.

I guess I've finally become a technological dinosaur. I don't even understand the question.

Ed

Ed,

Think of an automatic updater like is used on some blogs where you set a preference to have periodic updates and additions to a site retrieved and sent to your machine without you having to actually click onto the site/thread, etc. Site may have to be "bot friendly" to allow automatic accessing of its content or have the functionality built into the site's software such that it will notify you when content is added to a thread you're following.

Jeff Jewitt's Finishing Forums on homesteadfinisging.com have a notification function that notifies users by e-mail when a response/reply/etc. has been posted to a particular thread.

Enabling RSS

I haven't done it on vBulletin, but from the online docs it looks like you can turn it on and it just works:rolleyes: . Once it is turned on the readers should be able to access the forum content via RSS using the URL http://www.aawforum/vbforum/external.php...

I have been doing a lot of web reading on my mobile devices and have found it very convenient. So ,if at some point in the future, you you think it would be a good feature for the site, and want to give it a try, let me know I would be willing to help test it out on the RSS readers I have available.

Thanks,
Jeff

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
Oops, you need the dot-org in that URL:
http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/external.php

I added my feed to Google--it would be cool if the AAW POD on the home page can be added there, but that's not a part of the forum of course.

Attachments

• aaw-rss.jpg
    aaw-rss.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 132
Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
Try This

OK, I did it.
If you use iGoogle, you can (I think) add the current Photo of the Day to it by clicking here.

This was created using the "Create your own gadget" feature on Google but it doesn't automatically update when changed so I would have to do it manually. I did select the choice to make it publically listed, which means it can be seen amongst the hundreds of other Gadgets available from Google. BUT there was a note saying it would not be seen for 10 days.

I'm looking into a way to make it automatically update, and be current--I think it's possible.

Colin,

I looked into that PicLens thing you recommended and it has got to be the coolest FREE software application I've come across in a long time...works just like the Apple Touch iPod and iPhone menu system...dynamic 3D photo gallery viewing!

Just for grins, I've set up one of my photo galleries with this capability. You'll have to follow these steps to get the full 3D effect:

1) Click on this link to access my 3D enabled pen gallery page.
2) Click on the "Start Slide Show" button in the upper left-hand corner.
3) Click on the "See This In 3D" button in the upper right-hand corner.
4) Follow the PicLens Download instructions...it's free.
5) Once the PicLens application is downloaded and installed on your computer, come back to my 3D enabled pen gallery page.
6) Do not click on the "Start Slide Show" button this time. Instead, pass your mouse curser over one of the photo thumbnails and note the arrow button in the lower left-hand corner of the photo, and click on it. This will then startup the 3D viewer application, where you can view all the photos in this gallery dynamically and in 3D...too cool!

Website
www.turnlinks.com
Ed

I agree it is a superb bit of free software. I have enabled the latest photos in my photo gallery to work with it. If anyone is interested they are at http://photos.turrnspain.com and also my camera clubs February website gallery at http://www.macameraclub.com

One thing that they don't actually mention is that if you are using Firefox as your browser you can actually view a slideshow of photos in a directory on your own harddisk. Just load the url of your directory into the address bar open the page and get a list of the images and then just click the blue Piclens arrow and you can see the slideshow of that directory.

Check out their Cooliris browser plugin too, I find that I use that all the time too.

Thanks for turning on the RSS feed, now I won't forget to keep up with posts!

-- Dave

Back