• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Fade

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
In direct sunlight it will fade almost overnight. Well not at night but in the day. With a finish on and in the house out of direct sun it will last for years.
Binh Pho uses a metallic dye to airbrush over the red with the same color and pattern so that it will last a lifetime. I'm still trying to learn to do that.

Mike,

The reds are the most fragile and will fade to brown in short order when exposed to direct sunlight or other UV source. Ergo, put your turnings in a dark bank vault and the red might be there for a long time.

Red's not the only stain we loose over time. The fungus/mineral staining in Ambrosia Maple will also be lost in time. I have some Ambrosia bowls that are 6 years old and I can see a definate change in the sides that were left to face the sunlight.

mm

Yeah? So put some sunscreen on them.... :D

That's what a local turner here does for his polychromatic Christmas ornaments.

Sunscreen = UV resistant spar varnish. Won't stop it but will slow it nicely and give you a color life of years if kept out of sunlight.

Website
www.abhats.com
It's not just direct sunlight, strong indirect can do it too. As a general rule, one shouldn't put wood pieces in direct sunlight anyway, since the uneven heating effect can cause unwanted changes in form besides changing colors.

Back