• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Stupid Turner Tricks

This one should be titled stupid tooth pic holder........

maker. This a.m., I turned my second tooth-pick holder from the Wood Mag design. Everything was done, waxed, and ready to go except the little cup for the inside. I had a tiny bit of tampoti(sp) left to do the cup. Time to part it off, well I fumble fingered it in the process, maybe you can guess, it got sucked into the DC and that was that.:mad: :eek:

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
maker. This a.m., I turned my second tooth-pick holder from the Wood Mag design. Everything was done, waxed, and ready to go except the little cup for the inside. I had a tiny bit of tampoti(sp) left to do the cup. Time to part it off, well I fumble fingered it in the process, maybe you can guess, it got sucked into the DC and that was that.:mad: :eek:

I have done that! I push the DC hose a bit further away now when using a vac chuck or something where flight is always possible.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

I have done that! I push the DC hose a bit further away now when using a vac chuck or something where flight is always possible.

OK, will somebody tell me what tampoti is? I don't do toothpick holders, so is it something to do with the little cup in the toothpick holder?

Bill I think perhaps the reference might have been to Tambuti, an exotic wood.
I'll hush now before I really show my ignorance.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Bill I think perhaps the reference might have been to Tambuti, an exotic wood.

Yep, African exotic, used to be fairly inexpensive, tight grain, waxy, smells good.

I'd heard about drying wood in the microwave, so I took a small piece I had just turned green into the kitchen and put it into the microwave for one minute. When I looked a minute later, smoke was coming from the microwave. The piece wasn't just burnt, it was charcoal. Even worse, the kitchen and the microwave smelled for days. I no longer use the microwave for drying. If there is anyone who doesn't already know this, the maximum recommended time is thirty seconds.

I did the same thing. My wife is a forgiving woman but that one was about enough to get banned from kitchen

fun with CA glue

When my son was about 3 he came to me telling me that he had put "medicine" on a boo boo. When I asked him to show me just what kind of medicine he used he brought me one of the little tubes of super glue. He had rubbed it on sore spot and somehow managed not to glue his finger to his arm. It formed a pretty good bandage. We did call his mom at work(she is a pharmicist) and asked her to see if they had any super glue remover. Strangely she wanted to know why I might need something like that..... Like I said before she is a forgiving woman

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Before you use ordinary super glue on a wound, you need to know that it is not the same thing as Dermabond.

Eastman 910 was first used medically in Vietnam for emergency battlefield measures to help stop bleeding and enable the patient to survive long enough to be transported to a field hospital.

Although cyanoacrylate glues were useful on the battlefield, the FDA was reluctant to approve them for civilian use. In part, this was due to a tendency of the early compounds (made from "methyl-2-cyanoacrylate") to irritate the skin as the glue reacted with water and cured in the skin, releasing cyanoacetate and formaldehyde. A compound called "butyl-2-cyanoacrylate" was developed to reduce toxicity, but suffered from brittleness and cracking a few days after application. Finally an improved cyanoacrylate glue was developed for medical applications called "2-octyl-cyanoacrylate." This compound causes less skin irritation and has improved flexibility and strength--at least three times the strength of the butyl-based compound (reference 2).

As a result, in 1998 the FDA approved 2-octyl cyanoacrylate for use in closing wounds and surgical incisions, and in 2001 approved it for use as a "barrier against common bacterial microbes including certain staphylococci, pseudomonads, and Escherichia coli" (reference 2). This latest incarnation was marketed under the name Traumaseal as well as the more popular Dermabond.

Cyanoacrylate glues also find use in medicine for orthopedic surgery, dental and oral medicine (marketed as Soothe-n-Seal), veterinary medicine (Nexaband), and for home use as Band Aid brand Liquid Bandage, but these are much weaker formulations than Dermabond. It even has been explored as a potential treatment for emphysema, where it can be used to seal off diseased lung passages without the need for invasive surgery.

According to Reference 7, it is not safe to use ordinary household cyanoacrylate glue as a medical glue. Cyanoacrylate glues not designed for medical use are formulated from methyl-2-cyanoacrylate, since it produces the strongest bond. Not only can such glues irritate the skin, during polymerization they can generate significant heat, to the point of causing skin burns. You may be able to get away with it, but to err on the side of safety, you should only use medically-approved glue, not the ordinary kind.

References:
  1. Hayes, Sharon Caskey. "Discovery of Super Glue helped land Coover in National Inventors Hall of Fame," Kingsport Times-News, July 11, 2004.
  2. Schwade, Nathan D. "Wound Adhesives, 2-Octyl Cyanoacrylate", eMedicine article, Apr. 10, 2002
  3. Vinters HV, Galil KA, Lundie MJ, Kaufmann JC: The histotoxicity of cyanoacrylates. A selective review. Neuroradiology 1985; 27(4): 279-91
  4. Fernandez, Tania (Dr) and Bliskovsky, Val (Dr). "Cyanoacrylate Technology: Stay Glued," Pharmbiz.com, Jan. 2, 2003
  5. Perry LC: An evaluation of acute incisional strength with Traumaseal surgical tissue adhesive wound closure. Dimensional Analysis Systems Inc.
  6. Jueneman, F, "Stick it to um," Industrial Research & Development, Aug. 1981, p. 19.
  7. Quinn, J., & Kissack, J., "Tissue Adhesives for Laceration Repair During Sporting Events," Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol. 4 No. 4, 1994, p. 245

fun with CA glue

When my son was about 3 he came to me telling me that he had put "medicine" on a boo boo. When I asked him to show me just what kind of medicine he used he brought me one of the little tubes of super glue. He had rubbed it on sore spot and somehow managed not to glue his finger to his arm.

Please, grand/parents, don't leave this glue anywhere within reach of a three-year-old. It's a tricky and painful business to detach a finger from a casually rubbed eye.

With a grandtoddler to care for a couple days a week, I've got the cupboard/door locks reinstalled in the kitchen and bath, and am trying to rearrange the workshop so that all the danger possible is behind two guards.

R

Ron Sardo

Thanks for clearing that up Michael
----
opps, I meant Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Ca

According to Reference 7, it is not safe to use ordinary household cyanoacrylate glue as a medical glue. Cyanoacrylate glues not designed for medical use are formulated from methyl-2-cyanoacrylate, since it produces the strongest bond. Not only can such glues irritate the skin, during polymerization they can generate significant heat, to the point of causing skin burns. You may be able to get away with it, but to err on the side of safety, you should only use medically-approved glue, not the ordinary kind.

Bill-nice reply!!!! Thanks. I have used it for those nasty little thumb splits and doesn't sting any more that Liquid shield or soap. There was no periferal burn, when gluing up my son's chin at half time (high school)football, and 2 weeks later the chin split 2 weeks later. When I had him on my kitchen table to put real sutures in (I had an emergency kit for when we were in Alaska) I saw that it split 1/4 inch away from the healed first cut. In the mean time I acquired an open small tube of the nexabond at the Vet clinic where I work.

My question is is there any systemic toxicity?????? (formeldyhyde) How is it broken down in the body? My kittens had declaws (using nexabond)about 6 weeks ago, and one kitten has been having unusual soreness, and I was wondering what was going in inside. Our soft tissue surgeon didn't have an answer. Gretch

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Bill-nice reply!!!! Thanks. I have used it for those nasty little thumb splits and doesn't sting any more that Liquid shield or soap. There was no periferal burn, when gluing up my son's chin at half time (high school)football, and 2 weeks later the chin split 2 weeks later. When I had him on my kitchen table to put real sutures in (I had an emergency kit for when we were in Alaska) I saw that it split 1/4 inch away from the healed first cut. In the mean time I acquired an open small tube of the nexabond at the Vet clinic where I work.

My question is is there any systemic toxicity?????? (formeldyhyde) How is it broken down in the body? My kittens had declaws (using nexabond)about 6 weeks ago, and one kitten has been having unusual soreness, and I was wondering what was going in inside. Our soft tissue surgeon didn't have an answer. Gretch

From what I understand, the potential for burns would be for relatively large amounts -- not just a few drops. I can personally vouch for the burning. I had a bottle of thin CA with a leak around the cap and while working on a piece of punky wood and applying quite a bit to it (outdoors, at least, I did learn a few things from experience), it had leaked into the palm of my hand and I didn't notice it until a few seconds later when I got a serious burn from it and it was in the process of catalyzing so it was too late to try to wipe it off.

The FDA was not only concerned about its toxicity, but ordinary CA has known carcinogens. Trying to prove the safety of ordinary CA would have been a very time consuming and expensive proposition and I suspect that the manufacturer was more interested in finding a more suitable formulation since ordinary CA had some performance shortcomings anyway.

Formaldehyde should always be treated as bad stuff. When I was a teenager, I got interested in taxidermy for a while and two of my favorite chemicals that I used were formalin and carbon tetrachloride. Of course, I didn't use rubber gloves because they cost too much so so my hide got tanned right along with the animal skins. Anybody could buy both of those from the neighborhood drugstore. Because of my deeds, I barely escaped another hide tanning at the hands of my dad. The fact that I did it doesn't make it safe or smart.

The soreness that the kitten is having sounds like an infection. I suppose that the vet provided an antibiotic. Sometimes they cut too much of the joint during declawing which can result in nerve trauma.

kitten toe soreness

The soreness that the kitten is having sounds like an infection. I suppose that the vet provided an antibiotic. Sometimes they cut too much of the joint during declawing which can result in nerve trauma.

Bill-No, there is no overt infection-no swelling, no heat, no drainage, no pain with digital compression. Maybe some slight wincing with dorsiflexion of the digits. Since I am in orthopedics, I have a little (and lessening!!!) knowledge of the body. Could be neuromas, (but both feet??-I don't think so), or maybe some delayed reaction to the superglue. Perhaps Sydney doesn't want 2 feet in the grave!!! (ie. formeldehyde!!);) Gretch

Last edited by a moderator:
How many people go to scratch their nose only to bump into the face shield?

I never did this:rolleyes:

I've done it. But that's not as bad as sneezing without raising the shield. By the time I try to cover my mouth, but hit the shield instead, it's too late. (oh gross)

1st hf chucking

when i first started turning hf or vases i was using a oneway stronghold chuck. when i used this chuck on a bowl the bottom of bowl rested on the chuck grip (anybody know what ya call those grips) anyway when i started hf or vases i just bottomed out the tendon and the vase and tendon was a smooth transition

went to nc symposium last oct and saw how Nick Cook chucked the hollow form, little bit different:eek:

Nick :cool2: makes a lip for the grip to rest on and the tendon is smaller than this lip and tendon is not bottomed out

his method works muck better :D

when Nick finishes the bottom he removes the lip and faces up the bottom of hf and bottom

its a learning curve :cool2:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Re: the cut finger being treated with CA glue. It's my understanding that it was originally designed for treating wounds on the battlefield so soldiers wouldn't bleed to death.

Malcolm Smith.

Re-read post #56. It is true that it was used for that purpose, but it was NOT designed for that purpose. The medical formulation is not the same thing.

Stupid things done in the shop?

Well, you've heard about the loogies and sneezing inside faceshield, and trying to push your glasses up behind one....

But have you, or your buddy, passed gas into a Triton respirator "fanny pack"? Not a very pleasant thing! Of course, your "buddy" thinks it's hilarious! :mad: .

Or how about searching over, on, under, and behind all the benches and machinery in your shop for a tool you know you just had (and you keep telling yourself that) and finally in frustration you begin to pick up things on the floor to look under them, and finally realize when you put the tool down to pick up something, that you had the darn tool in your hand the whole time!:eek:

Back