• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Axminster Jaws?

I have a couple of Axminster chucks and really like them. I have various jaw sets, including one Odonnel set. I really like the precision of these jaws, but often wish for a different size. I just saw that they came out with a multi-jaw long nose set. The idea is great, just wondering if anyone has it, and if they are as precise as a regular Odonnel jaw?

I don't have the regular O'Donnell jaws but I do have the interchangeable set. One regular jaw set plus two sets of bolt-in jaws that reduce the tenon/recess size. They are accurate - even the bolt in jaws are numbered to match them to the main set. You do have to be careful about forming tenons so they clear all the non-gripping parts of the jaws - I assume you'd have much the same problem with the one-size O'Donnells. And the tenons have to be very shallow - these are not for agressive roughing out. I certainly find them useful, in fact these are the jaws that are practically always mounted on my Axminster.

HTH

Graeme

Graeme,
What diameter of a tenon with these jaws hold? I have two (maybe three after Christmas morning) Axminster chucks and one has a set of O'Donnell jaws - but I bought a jaw set that is too large. I am not sure whether to buy a new smaller set of O'Donnell jaws or get the changeable set? I checked the Craft Supply web site and they do not say the diameter of the tenon.
Thanks.
Hugh

Angelo

President Emeritus
Website
www.majicbrand.com
Chuck Tip

I really like the Axminster. I have four of 'em......a long story....but....I heard Richard Raffan once say that you need a chuck for each of the different size jaws you have. Well, I added that up and found that it was several thousand dollars of chuck bodies. The total was more than the cost of the lathe I was turning on at the time.

That thought stuck with me for many years. (seems I would never be a good production turner if....) In the meantime I devised an alternative. In my past, in order to change jaws, I undid and redid the 8 screws that hold the jaws to the scrolly part (I think Axminster called them soft jaws at the time) It finally dawned on me, one day, that I could afford to buy a set of scrolly things for each set of jaws I own. Instead of undoing 8 screws I could turn the chuck key (or Chuckie) to let the four jaws fall out and reinstall the larger set. That was in the early to mid 90's. Saved me a lot of time and effort over the years, not to mention looking for the dropped screw amid all the shavings.

Anyway as years passed, I slowly added 3 more Axminster's to my arsenal and I can tell you that it does not matter which jaws you have in the chuck, they are never the ones you need.

Merry Christmas everyone

Angelo

Last edited:
Back