• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning Safety for Children

As I prepare for all nine of my grandchildren to descend upon us :eek:, I plan on introducing them to turning by letting them watch (one or two at a time with an adult helping) me make little snowmen (or maybe now it's snowpersons, since I live in Mass.) ;), then letting them color them on the lathe.

I think this is also the time to teach safety. Are there any visors that you know of that will fit little folks (ages 5 to 9)?

Joe

Joe, Many of the visors have an adjustable headband inside them that may adjust smaller to fit the grandkids. If not, you may wish to turn your blanks to round before they begin helping you, and outfit them with a pair of safety goggles with the elastic strap.

A word of caution: if your grandkids are like mine, they will start the demo watching you turn something, but they will quickly lose interest. But if you let them hold the tool with you, they will light up and learn!

Good Luck! :)

I agree with KurtB regarding the "hands on" method for increasing attention span. I haven't been able to locate a safety shield small enough for the real little folks but I have had some success in temporarily modifying standard head gear to fit pretty well. I also slowwww down the lathe to reduce the velocity of anything that might decide to leave the chuck - and I work with lengths that are longer than I might use otherwise to reduce the chances of a tool coming into contact with the chuck when working near an end. Little hands sometimes want to push the tool - even when you have hold of it. The little ones will also tend to become fixated with the curls of wood as the wood is cut away. They need to be frequently reminded of where to focus their full attention.

Last edited:
Great ideas. The wood will be dry, so no curls. I like the idea of letting them hold the handle.

As I said, there'll be another adult to watch for attention span deficit :).

Any other ideas are welcome.

Joe

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Hi Joe,
For all our kids classes We use safety guidelines below.
after the first class we have the kids do the safety tips.
Be sure to get the lathe to elbow height on the kids. Shorter stand or stable platform.
Happy teaching,
Al

Safety Is Up To You
A lathe won’t hurt you; inappropriate behavior puts you at risk.

1) An Alert Mind - is your most important piece of safety equipment.
Think about what you are doing.
Work only when you are alert and
Ask questions whenever you are unsure of the proper procedure.
Report any accident or problem with equipment immediately..

2) Chips, Splinters, and Dust can be hazardous.
Eye protection: One outcome of woodturning is to make wood chips. You need to keep them out of your eyes.
Always wear eye protection when turning or working with liquids.

Dust Protection: Prolonged exposure to wood dust can be a health risk. Short-term exposure is generally not harmful. Dust poses a significant risk to production turners working 8 hours a day. Wear a dust mask when sanding.

Splinters: Wood splinters can be a hazard.
Don’t stick yourself with splinters.
Be careful whenever you are handling wood.

Slipping: Wood and wood chips can be slippery.
Keep the floor clean and watch where you walk.
Pick up small pieces of wood.

3) Sharp Tools are hazardous
DON’T touch the sharp parts of tools.
Don’t drop them on your foot - Wear shoes for protection.

4) Rotating wood is a potential hazard:
Stay on your side of the tool rest.
Do not wear jewelry.
Tie back long hair.
Roll up long sleeves.
Don’t touch spinning work, spinning wood will cut you.
Don’t wear anything around your neck (scarves, keys, ties, earbuds, etc.)

5) Electric shock is a hazard with any electrical device:
Watch cords and plugs

6) Protect your skin from exposure to chemicals such a finishes

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
two more thoughts on teaching kids

Joe,

Your grand kids vary in age. We have taught a few 8 year olds who did quite well. Most 10 year olds can do spindle work. I tell parents if their child can slice a tomato unattended they can learn to turn wood. Parents understand this and it seem to work.

Check out the AAW Youth turning page. There are lots of projects to do with kids and some tips for working with youngsters. http://www.woodturner.org/community/youth/

Keep it simple and don’t over teach. Kids don’t need to know much more than: tool on the tool rest, bevel on the wood not cutting, raise the handle and role the handle to engage the cutting edge. Add “Cut from the big to small” and they are good to go.
A mistake inexperienced teachers often make is trying to teach their students everything they have learned in the last 2 years in an hour. Little leaguers don’t need to know that a right handed pitcher must lift his left heel to throw to first base. Youth turners don’t need to learn the properties of wood or all about the tools they aren’t using.

Repetition: don’t expect any student to know what you taught last time.

Recognize limitations: Youth have many limitations in common with the elderly. They often lack range of motion and coordination to make all the moves I would in turning a bowl. In addition they may not have the hand strength to mount the work in particular way even fitting a lid on a box.

Have fun,
Al

Last edited:
Thanks, Al, that's great advice ,although you overestimate the turning knowledge that I have to impart :).

Will let you know how it goes.

Joe

I have one of those orange hardhats with a wire mesh mask that my 3 and 5 year old use when they are watching me. It is meant for chainsawing and I got it at Menard's.

Jason

Another great idea. I have one and will see if it fits the little ones. Thanks Jason.

Joe

Back