• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pen not "Round"

I have been turning lots of pens lately, and I am finding that my wood isn't exactly round at the points where it meets the hardware. I am buying top quality kits, (Craft Supplies), so it is my turning. Is my mandrell bent? Are my bushings worn out? Anyone else have this issue?

Out of round - off center

There are several reasons why barrels are off-center, and sometimes oval.

1. The tubed blanks are not square to the tube. When the nut in the mandrel is tightened, the angled ends of the barrels bows the mandrel. This is why they sell pen mills, although there are other ways to square a barrel to the tube.

Sanding against a 90 deg miter will not work, UNLESS you have managed to dril the hole absolutely straight thru the wood. That seldom happens!

2. The tailstock is overtightened, forcing a bow on the mandrel.

3. To some extent, this also can happen when the nut is tightened too much.

4. The mandrel is bent. Probably a result of any or all of the above.

5. The tailstock is out of alignment with the spindle.

6. The bushings are too loose on the mandrel. This can happen when you use a bushing with a hole much larger than the mandrel. For example, PSI mandrels have a smaller diameter than those from other sources. Their bushings are made to fit their mandrels. Berea, Woodcraft, Craft Supplies, and others are of a better diameter. PSI bushings usually fit them, because they are a loose fit on the PSI mandrels. A good mandrel is about .246" diameter, same diameter as a "D" drill bit.

7. The live center does not fit the end of the mandrel. The hole in the end is usually designed for a 60 deg included angle taper. Most woodworking live centers don't fit very well, and will get worn out.

This is what I would do:

1. Put the EMPTY mandrel in the spindle. That is, if you have one with a Morse taper. Otherwise just mount it whatever way it is supposed to. Push it all the way in BY HAND.

2. Bring the tailstock with the live center in it to about 1/16" from the end of the mandrel. You want a little clearance. Tighten the tailstock.

3. Rotate the spindle BY HAND, while looking at the end of the mandrel. You will be able to see whether it is properly aligned. If it is bent, you will be able to see the end of the mandrel going around in a circle. Straighten it if necessary, or get a good mandrel.

Proper way to mount a mandrel:

1. After squaring the barrels, mount them in the mandrel with the proper bushings. Snug the nut, but DO NOT TIGHTEN IT.

2. Mount the mandrel in the lathe.

3. Bring the tailstock in position with a little clearance. Tighten it.

4. Advance the live center with the wheel until it contacts the mandrel. If you are using a Morse taper, this will finish seating it in the spindle. DO NOT overtighten. Back it up a little, and then just advance it until it is seated inside the hole at the end of the mandrel, and there is no play.

5. Now that the mandrel is straight and secured, tighten the nut at the end of the mandrel. Finger tight is usually enough !!!! That is why it is round and knurled !!!

Make sure the tools are sharp, and that the tool rest is positioned properly.

Don't ask me how I know... been there, my friend !!!

Hope this helps !!

Thanks Fred!!

Thanks so much for such a detailed explanation. I have indeed 'bent' my mandrel and I appear to be doing some off center turning with these things. After reading your post, I know that the parts that aren't fitting right are at the end of the mandrel (tailstock), which would make sense because that is where the problem seems to be. Before I turn another $5 stabilized blank, I will re-check my alignment of headstock to tailstock, and purchase a new mandrel. Thanks again for your excellent post.

yes sir it was an enlighting post and glad I can come back later and readit again like when I am done with winter travelin and back to my shop!

Back