• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vega bowl lathes

Does anybody have any experience with Vega lathes? I like doing bowls and platters - and this lathe can do BIG ones - and don't really do much long spindle work. I know the manufacturer and he says he will give me a 'good deal' on a new one (how good I don't quite know yet...). The price is similar or even a bit less than a Powermatic 3520B, yet the machine has a much smaller footprint and far greater swing over the bed.

I appreciate any help...

Ziffy

I've had the Vega 2600 for 18 months and am quite happy with it. I bought mine site unseen......but talked w/ Bill Grumbine on the phone first about his experiences which all seemed quite positive.

The Toshiba variable speed drive is top notch though on occasion when I do spindle work I wish for a bit better top end rpm. For bowl turning it has plenty of power and I rarely need to change belt position to the lower (power) rpm range. The banjo isn't quite as smooth functioning as the one's on some other (much more expensive) lathes, but with a bit of filing and tweaking it is acceptable. The standard tool rest leaves a lot to be desired......HS steel tools are much harder than the tool rest steel thus they leave lots of nicks, etc. which require occasional filing. The shape of the tool rest has the potential of being a finger mangler if you experience a severe catch when the tool is near the end of the tool rest. I recommend gluing in a block of wood to preclude a severe injury. Over time, I have added several other aftermarket tool rests......including the Oneway curved bowl rests. Be sure to order the 1" to 1-1/4" tool rest adapter as very few rests are offered w/ 1-1/4" posts. The wide bed ways are a significant advantage in supporting the banjo and other accessories such as coring & hollowing systems......plus they make a great place to lay the tools you are using on a project.

All in all, it's a great lathe for the buck assuming your primary interest is in bowls and short spindle work. Good luck with your decision!
Rick

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Well, I will say some publicly, although I am still a little gunshy after the railroad express somewhere else... ;)

The rest that comes with the lathe is fine for wide open bowls, but as soon as you get into something narrower and deeper, you are going to want something different. I had a couple of rests made by Randy Privett at monster-wood-tool.com. One is a 12" straight rest offset with 8" on one side and 4" on the other. The second rest is a curved bowl rest. Both are round, and they see constant duty on the lathe.

Bill

Let us know what kind of deal you get. I've been looking at the Vega 2600 myself. I'm sold. I just don't have the money for it yet. I've got to sell a few bowls first.

GA Darling

Back