• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What Happened to the Classified Forum?

I tried to get to the CLASSIFIED forum and got the message...

" you do not have permission to access this page"

I rebooted and came back and still can't get in. Now I don't even see it listed with the other forums.

Have I been bad and have been restricted from the classifieds?

Clem

aaw want ads

under the aaw want ads i get

baitbegger, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation. :D :D

That's it,Mike!

Mike Cunningham said:
I don't even see a heading for it, as though it's completely gone.

Maybe Angelo was upset that he couldn't sell his hollowing rig! :D

I was trying to get to Angelo about that rig and, POOF!

Mike, I'm coming up to the Tuckerton area in a few weeks. When do your clubs meet, and where?

Clem

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Clem Wixted said:
I tried to get to the CLASSIFIED forum and got the message...

" you do not have permission to access this page"

I rebooted and came back and still can't get in. Now I don't even see it listed with the other forums.

Have I been bad and have been restricted from the classifieds?

Clem
It should be fixed now.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
gran said:
Also the "members only" section is missing. Not that there was much of anything there
So this one is a different story. The members only section was put up as a test forum to see if I could create a hidden forum that could be used for members only at some point in time. Once I figured out it wasn't hidden , I deleted it since it doesn't have any real purpose other than an attempt to improve my forum creation/moderation learning curve.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Mike Cunningham said:
I don't even see a heading for it, as though it's completely gone.

Maybe Angelo was upset that he couldn't sell his hollowing rig! :D
Oh, and only Ken and I can mess with the forums anyway. It is separate from the board and webmaster (we are kinda rogue).

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
Steve Worcester said:
Oh, and only Ken and I can mess with the forums anyway. It is separate from the board and webmaster (we are kinda rogue).

I didn't do nothin', I swear it wuzzint me, I'm INNOCENT I tell you :eek:

If anyone needs to put up a want ad tomorrow, I have to jump out of bed early in the AM, suck down a quick cup of java and hit the road for our monthly turner's meeting. It's at the furthest meeting place, almost a two-hour drive. So you might have to bug Steve to approve a classified, until I get back home in the late afternoon.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
kengrunke said:
.....So you might have to bug Steve to approve a classified, until I get back home in the late afternoon.
I check about 1/2 dozen times a day to approve ads and membership requests, I don't think the flood of want ads will stop.

And Ken is doing a fantastic job. He is the POD (Photo Of the Day) king.

Steve Worcester said:
So this one is a different story. The members only section was put up as a test forum to see if I could create a hidden forum that could be used for members only at some point in time. Once I figured out it wasn't hidden , I deleted it since it doesn't have any real purpose other than an attempt to improve my forum creation/moderation learning curve.

Steve, I'm almost certain Vbulletin has the capability to hide forums or features from visitors who haven't logged in. Sawmill Creek has similar restrictions, as does the Ubeaut forum in Australia. There's probably a whole big bunch of versions of the software, and a similar-sized bunch of options at installation.

Separating into forum members and AAW members would be an entirely different matter, though. It'd require two classes of forum members. Although Sawmill Creek has a similar separation between ordinary members and $$ contributors. I don't think they hide the optional forums, just restrict access.

Key, of course, is deciding whether the option is desirable, or worth the effort and learning curve. Personally, I'd prefer to make round wooden stuff.

Joe

Website
www.workingwoods.com
Steve Worcester said:
Steve, the Forum Permissions option in the vBulletin Admin Control Panel will let you do that. In the task pane on the left of the main screen, select Forums and Moderators, then Forum Permissions. From there, you can turn access to individual forums on and off, based on usergroups (such as Registered Users, Moderators, etc.). I'm no vBulletin guru, but I've been through the Admin CP a fair amount. Let me know if I can be of help.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
This week I have learned far too much about vBulletin and such, with the move and the upgrade.
The issue with the members only forum and why we don't really have one is I have no way of knowing who is a member and who is not and I don't want to have to do 4000 manual entries every year. I kind of like the fact that the AAW has put the funds up to allow the proliferation of knowledge and the only qualification is a few volunteers and on-line access.

That is really what it is all about anyway. That and if you want to join in the quarterly contest fun, you have to buy the journal, or hang out in the bookstore long enough to read that particular article.

Back