• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Nova Compac Chuck Owners

When I got home last night a card had come from Woodcraft showing that they are closing out the small jaws (20 mm) and the adapters that allow you to use other Nova jaws with this chuck. Both jaws and adapters, a $66 value for $19.99 while their supplies last. You have to call or go to a store, it will not come up on the internet site.

Of course don't do what I did and add another set of jaws to the order and have to explain to the wife how a $19.99 order went to over $80!!!!! :( :)

Wilford

Last edited:
Only when SWMBO is gone to town!!!! :D

Seriously, this is a good price on these items and for those of us who bought the Compac may be our last chance to get them as my understanding is Nova has switched from this chuck to the new Midi.

Wilford

Hey Wilford,I have a Nova compac and been having problems with it binding up when I try to open or close the jaws.Any suggstions?
I blow it out often with compressed air,so maybe I blew too much dust inside the dang thing.

I got it used so I didn't get the note from Woodcraft. :rolleyes:

I had problems with binding also, try the following -

1) The jaws are numbered 1 to 4, make sure they are in the right position on the chuck.

2) Check the little screw that prevents the jaw from over opening and flying apart. I bent my stop screw and had to turn it a half turn to stop the binding.

3) Remove jaws (keep in order), blow out, brush out - clean well. I lubricated mine with some silicone as it does not build up wood dust/shavings like oil. (This is becoming my normal maintenance.)

The above should solve your problems, it did mine. Mine has worked like a dream since I did the above.

Let me know if you want me to scan my instruction card that came with compac chuck and email it to you. PM me you email in that case.

edit: Link to compac chuck manual and disassembly instructions http://www.teknatool.com/support/Chuck Support Page.htm
Wilford

Last edited:
Thanks Wilford,I will have to check the screw as I have already done steps 1&2.If that don't work I will move on to step 3.

Dang it I plum forgot about the instruction card Th eguy sent me when I bought the chuck from him.

And they say the mind is the second thing to go.LOL

Back