• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Scholarly work on woodturning

I am currently writing an art history paper on the history of the woodturning movement and am wondering if anyone knows of any scholarly/peer-reviewed articles on the woodturning movement? I looked in EBSCO and LexusNexus Academic but most of the articles were newspaper or magazine articles. Any assistance would be very helpful.

History

Try the UK Guild of woodturners.There are several ref. there.

You may want to take a look at the book "Wood Turning in North America since 1930" put together by the Woodturning Center and Yale Univ. Art Gallery. This is about a $35 book. But has a lot of info in it - good pictures also.
Hugh

I appreciate everyone's help. The Smithsonian has some great oral histories from Rude Osolnick, Bob Stockdale, and Edward Moulthrop. Each one is about 40 pages of one-to-one interviews. Also, the White House Craft Collection (not the right name, but if one googles it, it will come up) has some interviews with the top woodturners. I feel I should clarify the topic a little bit. The focus of the paper is to examine the modern woodturning movement, with as much scholarship as possible, as it tries to establish its' identity as a high art form, in much the same way that the studio glass movement did recently. I also plan to discuss the debate over whether the innovation cycle on the lathe is over, as some suggest or whether surface treatment is a natural extension of the woodturned vessel. However, because many are still unfamiliar with the history of modern woodturning (or woodturning, in general), a summary of the movement is necessary for the broader audience my paper is intended for. Anyways, thanks for all the suggestions.

By the way, Hugh. Thanks for your recommendation, "Wood Turning in North America since 1930". I was able to order it through Ohiolink (a great connection of college and public libraries in Ohio where one can get any item that any other member library has) from my school library. I look forward to checking it out.

Also, as a college student, I am unable to afford to go to the symposium in Portland. Are transcripts of some of the discussions going to be made available after the symposium for general readership? They may be beneficial to my thesis.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
adampapin said:
The focus of the paper is to examine the modern woodturning movement, with as much scholarship as possible, as it tries to establish its' identity as a high art form, in much the same way that the studio glass movement did recently. I also plan to discuss the debate over whether the innovation cycle on the lathe is over, as some suggest or whether surface treatment is a natural extension of the woodturned vessel. However, because many are still unfamiliar with the history of modern woodturning (or woodturning, in general), a summary of the movement is necessary for the broader audience my paper is intended for. Anyways, thanks for all the suggestions.

Would WE (or could we) be part of the 'broader audience' you intend to write for? I am certain there are dozens, if not hundreds, of people who would be interested in what your research on this topic and your conclusions will say, particularly if you approach it in a scholarly fashion. As a professor at a major university, I have had a number of students over the years convert their term papers (for my course) into published articles. I would encourage you to consider submitting this paper to Carl Voss, editor of American Woodturner, since this topic is quite apropos to the intents and missions of the American Association of Woodturners. I, for one, would like to learn from your research, and would be willing to proof/review your paper (....after it's graded!) if you intend to submit it for publication.

See: http://www.woodturner.org/products/aw/ and contact Carl at: carlvoss@mac.com

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your study as it is completed.

Best wishes,

(Prof.) Rob Wallace
Iowa State University

Last edited:
Back