• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Newsletter Editors - What software do you use?

As newsletter editor of our club, I'm always looking for ways to improve the newsletter.

I currently use MS Word to compose, edit, and email my newsletters. It works fairly well, but I've found that the size can get rather bulky even though I crop and reduce image sizes mercilessly.

It came to my attention that Word as a HTML editor really writes some bloated code, (If Kim Komando says so, it must be true.. right?) but does that apply to emails as well? If so what are some alternatives?

What do you use?

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
While we use Word for the most part, why post in HTML when you can easily convert to PDF and post that way, and it is unalterable.

You can use cutepdf writer for free and it works amazingly well.

Converting to .pdf has a lot of advantages. Making files small, universal to read, can't be altered, etc. I have to do it all the time at work. I use Acrobat Pro and work it as part of the Adobe family of web productivity package.

Andy Hoyt

In Memoriam
Website
www.downscaledesigns.com
Our newsletter editor uses MS Publisher and emails it to me for conversion into a pdf with acrobat. I post them on the chapter's website and everybody is happy.

If it weren't for the awkward margin conflicts between the two programs (that I've given up on finding a work around for) it would be a snap.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm really computer illiterate and I'm currently writing our newsletter. I have publisher at work and word at home but my main question is how to e-mail the newsletter to our members. We don't have a website so posting one there is out. At our other club we tried e-mailing newsletter directly to the members and had so many problems we dropped the electronic newsletter until we got a website.
Can you tell me an easy way to e-mail the letter everyone. It's a small club and postage really eats into the club money. I don't think we are at the point where a website is possible. Maybe in a year or so.

R

Ron Sardo

underdog said:
I currently use MS Word to compose, edit, and email my newsletters. It works fairly well, but I've found that the size can get rather bulky even though I crop and reduce image sizes mercilessly.

When MS Word imports jpgs images into a document, it converts them to .bmp (bitmap) images. JPG is a compressed file to begin with and will expand to a huge bmp files. MS Word is goofy like this.

As mentioned, one way around this problem is to convert the finished newsletter to a PDF file. (BTW Woodwish, PDFs can easily be altered)

Publisher is a step up from Word and would probably work a little better for you.

underdog said:
What do you use?
I use InDesign CS2.

John,

As I said, I use Word to compose and edit. It has a feature which allows you to email directly from word.

Once I do that it uses Outlook Express since it is my default email client and I have it set up exactly like -E- describes. I have three groups I mail the newsletter to. The all important members list, the general mailing list, and the woodworkers mailing list. This way I can keep some things exclusive....

The only thing I'm having trouble with is a way to keep up with email addresses that change, quit working, or switch groups. I'd love to be able to have an "unsubscribe" feature like listservs have too.

Does anyone know of a way to print out a certain groups attributes?

R

Ron Sardo

AEHoyt said:
If it weren't for the awkward margin conflicts between the two programs (that I've given up on finding a work around for) it would be a snap.

This will only work if you have a the full version of Acrobat. (Not Acrobat Reader)

Instead of converting to PDF, print to PDF

Go to File
Go to Print
In that window you will see a drop down box where your printer appears, Click on the drop down arrow and choose "ADOBE PDF". Acrobat was kind enough to install a virtual printer for you.

Now click on the Properties button and make sure the box IS NOT checked by "Do not send fonts to "Adobe PDF"

Click "Ok"
Click "Ok" again to print. You will be asked for a file name.

You are all set.

M

mkart

Adobe Pagemaker

We use Adobe Pagemaker which has everything you need. It is easy to manipulate your newsletter for the best layout and has a built in function to create a printer folder which ensures the printer gets everything they need. It also will convert your newsletter to a PDF file for uploading to the web.
Matt

PDF conversion

For PDF conversion, I have been using a utility called Fineprint and Pdfactory.

Both are freeware for personal use. I have a professional version at work.

I can print to either one. I use Fineprint to make double sided booklets that I can change margin sizes on, leave gutters for hole punches or staples etc.... I use Pdfactory for sending quotes and drawings to customers.

I did use it once for a newsletter when the size got around 10 megs... :eek:

Some people's email servers strip any attachments out, and some peoples email client won't allow pictures embedded in the email. So whuts a guy tuh do? :confused:

What's "InDesign CS2?"

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Adobe PageMaker 7

I use Adobe PageMaker 7 to do the newsletter for the Woodturners of North Texas (warning: I do two versions -- broadband and dial-up -- this is the broadband version) and, as mentioned earlier, it does a wonderful job on laying out a format plus it also creates the PDF file. It also works seamlessly with other Adobe applications such as Photoshop so that I am able to easily move graphics into PageMaker. I have considered upgrading to Adobe InDesign which is essentially the replacement for PageMaker and is the defacto industry standard.

Bill

Adobe Suite

The professional choice is the Adobe Suite featuring InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.

Microsoft word is fine for writing a letter, but if you want to include pictures or artwork you're out of luck. Consider a iMac computer as well.

Distributing a newsletter

I use MS Word for creating my initial Newsletter file. When I started I tried to use Publisher which worked ok for creating the file but it was quite a large file. My problem with Publisher was that when I went to save all the newsletters to CD at the end of the year for archiving, they saved ok, but I could not re-open them as the computers were looking for something on my hard drive which were not available on the CD. I think it had to do with linking the photos that I used.
So, now I use Word which leaves me with about a 5 or 6 Meg file when I am done even after resizing pictures to Web Large or Small format. This is too large for email. I then ran accross a software program through Broderbund, called IMSI PDF to WORD v3, which is a converter tool (cost about $40 on sale). It allows me to convert my word file to Acrobat Reader .pdf form taking my newsletter down in size to anywhere between 300 KB to 700 KB depending on the original Word file size and how many pictures I add. This program also makes it possible for me to convert pdf files I receive into editable Word files and I can extract and save pictures from the converted files for my own use.
At the end of each year I create a CD for our club library with all the newsletters and pictures archived, so club members have use of them.

Pdf makes life for a newsletter editor much easier. Happy writing.

Last edited:
Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
Jim,

Word would not be my first choice of software for web work or newsletters, but it does work. If you are used to it and don't want to spend $$ on a different package here are some things you can do to help keep your file sizes small.

It sounds like most of us know about the compress pictures option in Words Picture Toolbar. You can have it operate on just one picture, or on all pictures in the document, and you can set it to optimize the picture for the web. You should check the option boxes to compress and to delete cropped areas. This is as good as it gets with Word though.

You can get much better compression if you do your picture prep in an image editing program before putting the image into Word. Software like Adobe Photoshop is what most of us use, but almost any 1/2 way decent editing package will let you resize and compress the image in the ways I will describe.

The key to this is to think of your image in terms of how you will use it. Will the picture be printed or will it be viewed on screen only?

If the document is to be printed Then you need to think about how wide the printed picture will be in inches, and how tall it will be in inches. Chances are a newsletter is designed to be printed on 8.5x11 paper. So a given picture is not likely to be bigger than 2x3 or 4x5 inches, somewhere in the range. Then, on top of that you need to decide how many dots per inch will be in the image (dpi.) This is pretty easy since it is very unlikely that any of us has a printer at home or in our offices that can utilize more than 260 DPI in an image. More than that is simply ignored by the printer. Size the picture based on what its printed dimensions will be, and not more than 260 DPI and you should be in good shape. Save it as a jpg file and use as high a compression as you can without creating artifacts in the image like excessive graininess, or color banding, or halos around objects.

One last point when printing. Don't confuse the dpi number of an image with the dpi rating of a printer. They are completely unrelated numbers. You can print a 4x6 inch image with 72dpi on a printer set to print 2880dpix1400dpi. The printers number simply tells you how many dots of inch will be sprayed on the paper as it prints.

If you are doing the picture primarily for use on screen, like a web page, then don't size it based on the size in inches, size it based on the length and width in pixels or dots. One pixel on the screen will show 1 dot from the image. If your monitor is set to display 800 dots across and 600 dots down, and you have a picture that is 400 dots across and 300 dots down the picture will take up have the screen. 1 dot for 1 pixel.

A pretty safe assumption today would be that your users are not using a monitor set to less than 800 x 600 pixels and use that as the frame your picture will be in. Your page in other words. Chances are that your image will be 200x300 pixels, or some other similar number. If you know all your readers all have bigger screens than that just adjust the numbers accordingly. In this case, you are concerned with 1 dot of the image being presented as a dot on the screen, which is why you think in terms of pixels in width and height rather than inches in width and height. You still want to save the file as a jpg and and use as much compression as you can without creating the artifacts I mentioned earlier.

So......if nothing else use the compress picture option of the pictures toolbar with both of the option check boxes selected.

Or....preferably edit your images before you insert them.
If the document is to be printed set the dimensions of the picture to what it will be printed out as in inches (widthxheight) with no more than 260dpi. Then save it as a jpg with as much compression as you can without causing the image to noticably deteriorate.
If the picture will be used on screen only then size it based on the pixels only. Not dpi. One pixel on the screen will display 1 dot of the image. Again, compress the jpg as much as you can without noticeably affecting the image.

email me if you need additional help with this.

Dave

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I think that Dave Somers has provided some excellent advice for you and I agree that Microsoft Word is not a good tool for use in graphics layout and publishing. The more complex that the graphics layout becomes, the more quirky that Microsoft Word becomes, especially if you need to do some significant editing that involves moving graphics around on a page. And I can understand your frustration with Microsoft Publisher -- I would be hard pressed to find a worse program in terms of capabilities.

I have been using Adobe PageMaker for years and it has excellent capabilities. It also allows automation of many processes so that laying out and creating our annual picture directory in a in a press-ready two-up saddle-stitch format can be easily implemented or modified once a template file has been created. However, as mentioned earlier, Adobe no longer provides maintenance support for this program since it has been superseded by InDesign, which was developed as a rival product to QuarkXPress. The other bad news about PageMaker is that it has a somewhat steep learning curve because of all of its capabilities and also because it did not follow Microsoft's Human Interface Guidelines. This means that instead of being able to use keyboard shortcuts, many of its functions require a lot of mousing around using the pull-down menus.

We also use other components of the Adobe suite like Photoshop, Illustrator, and ImageReady. I have found that some components of PageMaker do not work well with Windows XP Professional so we are upgrading to Adobe InDesign for future newsletter and directory publications.

I also would recommend using Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro for doing your image editing. Also, save the edited images in PSD or PDF format and flatten the layers before saving them. This will reduce the file size considerably. The reason to avoid JPG is that the file will wind up getting compressed twice and there will be considerable degradation in quality -- the first compression occurs when the image file is initially saved and the second compression occurs when the final document is converted to a PDF file if you choose "standard" or "smallest file size" as your save option.

Bill

newsletter

Being poor and working to start a new club, we have a similar problem on my end. All the members want a newsletter but noone wants to do the work or spend any money. As was mentioned before, OpenOffice.org is a free (no dollars) program with so many options you need several lifetimes to totally learn to use everything. It is a large download (108 megs?) so you need a broadband connection or you can get a CD/DVD for just a few dollars. I have it just to use the parts I need and it can handle microsoft programs as well. Take a look! :eek:

Emailed Newsletter

john lucas said:
I'm really computer illiterate and I'm currently writing our newsletter. I have publisher at work and word at home but my main question is how to e-mail the newsletter to our members. We don't have a website so posting one there is out. At our other club we tried e-mailing newsletter directly to the members and had so many problems we dropped the electronic newsletter until we got a website.
Can you tell me an easy way to e-mail the letter everyone. It's a small club and postage really eats into the club money. I don't think we are at the point where a website is possible. Maybe in a year or so.

John, That was our problem. Our newsletter is composed in Word. We convert it to a PDF and email that to those wanting the e-mail. Saved a lot on postage. If you e-mail or place on a website, PDF is a good way to go. The Word file is 6 MEGs for 2 pages. A PDF comes in at 200K. Same quality, plus e-mail.

John :)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
stnick said:
......Our newsletter is composed in Word. We convert it to a PDF and email that to those wanting the e-mail. Saved a lot on postage. If you e-mail or place on a website, PDF is a good way to go. The Word file is 6 MEGs for 2 pages. A PDF comes in at 200K. Same quality, plus e-mail ........
Converting to a PDF file will not necessarily shrink the file size -- it depends on the options that you set in Acrobat -- sometimes a PDF file winds up being considerably larger in size than the original document. The purpose of the portable document format (PDF) is to make the document "platform independent" which means that no matter what operating system is used, the final document will come out looking the same on everyone's computer screen or printed page. This is not necessarily the case if you use an application such as Microsoft Word and the person on the other end is using a different reader program and does not necessarily have the same installed fonts on his computer.

A PFD file carries along the fonts that it uses in an encapsulated format and can also be set to carry along the full uncompressed image files if that option is selected. All of this can increase the PDF file size considerably, but if you are needing maximum quality in the file images (for instance, some images may be magnified by the reader in order to see fine details if it happens to be a diagram) and preservation of the exact fonts, you may wind up with a file that is very large.

Alternatively, if you select the option to allow font substitution and also the option to minimize the file size of images, it will generally give you a final file size that is somewhat smaller than the original file. Usually you will not notice any difference in the image quality unless you magnify the size of the PDF file displayed on the screen. This could be the case for someone who is vision impaired and needs to enlarge the size of the material being viewed.

I produce two PDF versions of our club's newsletter. For those who have a broadband Internet connection, the "Press Ready" version uses all of the options to maintain highest image and font quality and the file size for an eight-page newsletter typically runs in the neighborhood of two megabytes (our April newsletter is the exception at 13 MB due to the large number of pictures from our Stuart Batty program). For the members who have a dialup connection to the Internet, I use the option for "Smallest File Size" when creating the PDF document and the resulting file size for the same eight-page newsletter is typically around 300 kilobytes in size. It looks just fine at 100% magnification. We also have some members who receive a paper copy, so none of this applies to them anyway -- it only matters to me because it affects print speed. For a look at our newsletters, go to the following link: WNT Newsletters.

All of these newsletters since about mid 2005 were produced using Adobe PageMaker. Before that, we used Microsoft Office products. Once past the learning curve, the difference is phenomenal in ease of creating a newsletter layout. It still remains a problem getting inputs from those who are on the hook for providing articles and there does not appear to be any software fix for that issue.

Bill

It still remains a problem getting inputs from those who are on the hook for providing articles and there does not appear to be any software fix for that issue.

Ha Ha! Boy ain't that the truth... :p

Although I have to say that buttonholing people and asking directly works a lot better than complaining about it in a newsletter.

PDF file size reduction

boehme said:
Converting to a PDF file will not necessarily shrink the file size -- it depends on the options that you set in Acrobat -- sometimes a PDF file winds up being considerably larger in size than the original document.

Yep! You do have to watch that. I've seen a 5 meg Word file go to 2 megs and with a different setting go to 600 K. I've heard but not personally experienced them going to 8 megs.

Somewhat like an image. Save as a jpg with a high quality and you get a hugh file. Save with medium quality and you get the same multi meg image at 100K and you are able to upload to the gallery.

Still, if you are careful, it does reduce and make possible to share an electronic newsletter with those still on dialup. Broadband is still not available to everyone in our club area.

John :)

R

Ron Sardo

I just had a customer show program to me.
It's supposedly a (free) MS Publisher clone. I haven't downloaded it yet but the PDF file she made from it was just right for us to go to print.

"Scribus is an open-source desktop publishing program" http://www.scribus.net/

I use a basic word processor (WordPad equivalent) for basic formatting, setting the font and spell checking. InDesign does the real page layout work. The combination is much better, IMO, than a bloated word processor that tries to do everything and ends up doing nothing well. As I have a Macintosh with no MS software at all, my biggest problem is when people send me MS Word documents with embedded graphics - Open Office can pull them apart but not always without losing something. The online version of our newsletter is PDF - InDesign offers control over how much detail to include, thus over the size of the PDF file. Even if it didn't, "Save as PDF" has been an option on the Mac's standard Print dialog for years.

Graeme
Central New England Woodturners

Back