• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

shaving brush

well, y'all, i finally did it... i made the thing i set out to do when this turning madess started!

this is a tulipwood shaving brush with a best badger hair knot.

Attachments

• aawbrush.jpg
    aawbrush.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 9
That looks good to me! I'd use it to shave with. I am a big fan of tulipwood. I like the way it turns and smells. I have turned a few stikers for turkey calls with tulipwood, they look great but I haven't gotten them tuned to sound great yet.

thanks guys.

ken,

i got a 22mm forstner bit, which is the same size as the knots. the hole ended up being slightly larger than the plug, but that worked out alright as the epoxy just filled in around it. have you come up with a way to prevent any epoxy/glue from getting into the base of the hair? only a little found it's way in, but i was trying to think of a way to prevent it completely.

ken,

did you have any problems with the glue squishing out, for lack of a better term, and getting into a few of the hairs on the base of the knot?

gran,

i actually got the knots from china. a rather tedious importation process... if you're interested in any detailed info on it, PM me and I'll send you the info.

Back