• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Out of Round - Nova 3000

I don't do much in the way of spindle turning but today I was rounding a spindle and just couldn't seem to get it round. I removed the stock, checked the spindle bearings and the run out with the 4 prong center in the spindle; seemed fine. Then I brought up the tail stock and guess what - the tail stock with a live center installed wouldn't match up to the center in the spindle. The tailstock center was below the spindle center approx. 1/16th inch to almost 3/32". How do I correct this problem? By the way I have the Nova 3000. I really need help on this one to see if there is a way I can adjust the height of the tail stock. Thanks in advance.

Nova fix

Garmar, Tim Geist, T.V. Geist Mfg, is the Nova supply & repair person in the U.S. 304.295.8166 or 225 Neale Rd, Parkersburg, WV 26105.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Take the large tommy/braker bar and try tightening and loosening the adjustment release for the head-stock swivel. According to the factory tech's I talked to (mine came with about that amount of mis-match), much to all of the misalignment you are seeing can be fixed in this way. I found mine was too tight.

You have the one with the original "adjustable" tailstock, like the machine for sale in TN? If so, start there, using the manual and the website article to adjust the tailstock. If you have the non-adjustable, your only moveable is the headstock, so instead of locking it and adjusting the tail, you do the reverse.

Nonetheless, a spindle revolving between two points should give you round. May slop on a point or flex a bit on a cup center with excessive pressure, but minor mismatches should not cause the problem.

misalignment woes

As MM has said, you should not have a problem between two points. I have a swivel head jet 1236 and have found that the problem (beside the misalignment) can be using the chuck. The chuck will continue the misalignment axis through it and the wood until it reaches the tail stock. If you can go back to a spur drive between centers or not using the tail stock you should correct your problem until you get the head in alignment.
Bruce W W

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
First thing to try is to clean the headstock bottom and the ways, realign and tighten the headstock and see if this solves the problem.

Website
www.cwsonline.com.au
Start with cleaning out the tapers where the spur drive and live centres are.

These can have dust in the tapers that can throw the alingnment out.

When you check alignment rotate the spur drive and the live centre , if both create a circle then they may not be seated in the tapers properly.

To acuratly check alingment you need to be able to take the tailstock to the end of the bed and check from one end to the other, they do this with metal turning lathes because they realise there may be subtle differences at the head stock but if the alignment is out along the bed then it will give all sorts of bother.

Get a laserlight and set it up in the tailstock and line up with the headstock to see if alignment is out or it may just be the headstock needs a little adjustment. Also make sure the two mating surfaces of the headstock are clean.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Jim Do you have a method for aligning the lazar. I tried setting one up once and never thought that it was aligned properly.

Thanks everyone for your help. I believe the problem is in the headstock, at least in part. I have cleaned, aligned, ect and it seems to have corrected a portion of the problem. I have the tailstock that is adjustable with the two screws but I can't budge the cap screws. There is no rust but I have a penetrating oil on them now. I still don't see how the adjustment screws can raise the height of the tailstock.

Loosening the screws can provide room for shims to be glued on, if needed. Not the answer to poor machining, but short a purchase of a new tailstock, it'll do. Might find that you have some crud under one end that's shimming the other at an angle, who knows?

Website
www.cwsonline.com.au
I have a freind who is a fitter & turner made up a jig that goes into the tailstock and holds the laser.

He does maintainance on metal lathes and these are fully adjustable in the headstock and tailstock so he needed accuracy.

I asked him about making me one and he just smiled and said he did not have enough time to make another one. I took the hint and assumed it must have been a fiddle making it. Pity though because it certainly works well.

Back