• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sorby RS2000 system (hooker tool)

Has anyone used the Robert Sorby Rs2000 Hooker hollowing Tool system with the swivel tip cutter and shear scraper blade.

I was going to order the Hooker Tool, Swivel Tip holder, cutter and the Armbrace but thought i would ask about positive and the negitive experiences others have had. :) :) :)

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
roy knapp said:
Has anyone used the Robert Sorby Rs2000 Hooker hollowing Tool system with the swivel tip cutter and shear scraper blade.

I was going to order the Hooker Tool, Swivel Tip holder, cutter and the Armbrace but thought i would ask about positive and the negitive experiences others have had. :) :) :)

Roy:

I do the bulk of my hollowing with a John Jordan set of 3 hollowers (the straight boring bar and two curved bar cutters) using a Sorby armbrace handle (this is similar to the Pencil and Bosch systems). I use the Sorby Hooker tool scraper to do the final interior smoothing if the vessel's opening is large enough, and actually need to do some finish cuts. The Hooker Tool works well, especially in wet wood, if you get the rake angle/sweet spot just right. Having the scraper tip adjustable is helpful, particularly when working under the neck/shoulder of a vessel. I have not used the swivel tip/holder, so I can't comment on the performance of that tool. I consider my experience with the Hooker Tool positive.

Cheers,

Rob Wallace

It’s good to see Rob the brewmeister is still kicking. Personally I use the Don Pencil version and it has been one of the best tools I’ve purchased. Closing fast is a new Rolly Munro (different approach), although I’ve only given it a test drive. I can also see the captured system approach. Even with an armbrace you’ll get torque and the wall thickness relies soley on your ability to check it as you go. A captured system would certainly help. Of course the depth of the vessel is something to put in the equation.
Good Luck,
Mike Lentz

In his demo last spring at Southern States Symposium, Larry Hasiak stated that when Sorby bought the rights to produce the hooker tool system from Stewart they changed the tool and had the point out of line with the shaft and this caused too much torque on your arm. He recommended either the Stewart or Don Pencil units as they are curved properly. I bought my Don Pencil rig based on this and have had no problems but studying the unit can see where if the point goes beyond the shaft you apply torque to an arm. Larry said years ago several members of his club made their own hooker tools not realizing how critical that the position of the point was and some wound up with casts on their arms. I really enjoy my Pencil rig both the Scorpion and the Stinger for small items. There may be a day when I look into a captive system but for now I am very happy with the Pencil rig and have had no problems with excessive pressure on my arm.

I've had very little luck with the hooker tool. The swivel cutter is bulky and has to be repositioned frequently. I much prefer the Kelton hollowers for most hollowing work. In my hands, the scraper has a dreadful tendency to catch. If I can't get a good enough surface with the Keltons, I'll generally switch to the Rolly Munro tool rather than risk the Sorby.

That's been my experience, YMMV.

Graeme

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
More than you ever wanted to know about hollowers....

Lyn has done his usual masterful and thorough job in a series of articles included in this list: http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/lyn.html

I find his observations to be true for the tools I have purchased.

Website
www.lylejamieson.com
Captive hollowing systems

Hi Roy,
By the time you get all the boring bars, swivel assembly and arm rest you have invested enough to upgrade to a supported system that includes the laser measuring system. Cant put the laser on a hand held system. I suggest you use whatever you think you are going to buy before you buy it. Every AAW club has members that use my system and hand held systems, just ask around at the next club meeting. Check out the new carbide cutter. www.lylejamieson.com

Back