• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

buffing

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
[I have acquired an electric motor. It is one and one-third horsepower that turns at 1725 rpm's. is that too fast to buff with the Beal wheels? I have used the lathe in the past at much lower speeds. Thanky, Max :cool:

Beall recommends a 1/3hp (or greater) motor at 1725rpm. Looks like you are good to go there.

They also recommend that the motor turn counter clockwise (when you are on the shaft side looking at the motor). I'm not really sure why that would make a difference, but it's what they recommend.

Ed

Counter-clockwise buffing

I have always been more comfortable with the buffs turning counter clockwise for safety reasons. If you get a catch between the fabric buff and the work piece it will want to take off in a tangent to the wheel and in the direction of the rotation. Clockwise targets your head, counter-clockwise targets your feet.

Jeff

That's a fine motor for buffing but actually is overpowered (more than you need by a pretty good stretch). Personally, I'd pull the little motor off my bandsaw or table saw for my buffer and drop that big boy on instead. :rolleyes:

I've actually got a 1/3 hp with a foot pedal and reverse. Works great.

Dietrich

Ed_McDonnell said:
They also recommend that the motor turn counter clockwise (when you are on the shaft side looking at the motor). I'm not really sure why that would make a difference, but it's what they recommend.

Ed

They recommend the counter clockwise to make sure the buffs stay attached to the shaft. For a clockwise rotation, the buffs would need to be attached with a reverse threaded bolt.

Marc

Marc - That makes sense. I should have thought of that!! I missed the obvious answer by trying to figure out how the wheels themselves could somehow have a directional quality to them. Thanks.

Jeff- I was thinking that if the motor ran the other direction, you would just buff on the other side of the wheel so you would be buffing towards the floor instead of the head no matter what.

Ed

Website
www.ispinwood.com
I use the Beall wheels at about 800 rpm. I find that I vary the speed depending on the wood being buffed. The trick is to find the point at which the wood is polished (finely sanded) instead of just being glazed (fiber burnishing). When I use the interior bowl buffers, I raise the speed to 1200 or so. They are a smaller diameter and consequently the rim speed needs to be increased to achieve the best results.

Back