• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Important announcement

Ditto. And wasn't there to be a complimentary DVD of the last symposium for renewing on line before year end? And a $5 off deal? And a free large order of fries? I really wanted those fries.

Last edited:
Re-up dues

Well...ain't that just ducky!!!! Sent in my credit card info for a one year renewal on 12/04, then see the notice today. So now what??? Is my re-up valid? Is my card info still "secure"? Do I notify the bank tomorrow to void out my credit card? Good timing, powers that be!!! :mad:

Interesting Information, BUT...

... there is a some information that is missing from that announcement.

We, as members, could be treated as adults and be leveled with.

Clem

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Texian said:
Ditto. And wasn't there to be a complimentary DVD of the last symposium for renewing on line before year end? And a $5 off deal? And a free large order of fries? I really wanted those fries.
Me too! I wanted the supersize AYCE meal deal. And, I have already started clearing space in my shop for the new Powermatic lathe. So, now I am hungry and, even worse, no mustard.

Bill

Dues

Ten dash four, Clem!!! Methinks there is something foul afoot!!! Are we to later find that mega-bux have been absconded with??? You have to admit, the timing is perfect, what with all the dues dollars rolling into the AAW treasury!!! And there we the loyal membership stand with nothing but a sack of shavings!!! :confused:

Mr. Don said:
Ten dash four, Clem!!! Methinks there is something foul afoot!!! Are we to later find that mega-bux have been absconded with??? You have to admit, the timing is perfect, what with all the dues dollars rolling into the AAW treasury!!! And there we the loyal membership stand with nothing but a sack of shavings!!! :confused:

Exactly how does a "service provider who has not met our expectations" (legalese for the they did a lousy job and overcharged for it) lead to the thought "that megabux have been absconded"?

For one I'm glad the board or executive director didn't waste months of service fees on this provider but put a stop to it in short order.

Stoppy

Stoppy said:
Exactly how does a "service provider who has not met our expectations" (legalese for the they did a lousy job and overcharged for it) lead to the thought "that megabux have been absconded"?

For one I'm glad the board or executive director didn't waste months of service fees on this provider but put a stop to it in short order.

Stoppy

I'd be curious as to why you say that.

Having worked on the new software's review committee, I happen to know that the company ("AMG") developing the software that provided huge improvements in the website functions was very responsive and cooperative. The upgrades provided completely secure on-line member services including registration and renewal, symposium registrations, Board election voting, and the searchable resource directory, and was to include and expand the AAW products and logo items area into a real "shopping cart" operation rather than the current HTML picture-book of stuff. You know, like the real website of the largest woodart organization in the World should look and function.

When Jeff Jilg resigned as Secretary before the upgrade project was finished, I had the feeling that all that work this was going to go down the tubes, so I held off using any of the secure functions until the entire system was in place. I'm glad I did.

Personally, I'm not buying into the "service provider dissatisfaction" bit, but I doubt we'll ever hear what the real reason for this foul-up is.

Mark Mandell said:
I'd be curious as to why you say that.

Having worked on the new software's review committee, I happen to know that the company ("AMG") developing the software that provided huge improvements in the website functions was very responsive and cooperative. The upgrades provided completely secure on-line member services including registration and renewal, symposium registrations, Board election voting, and the searchable resource directory, and was to include and expand the AAW products and logo items area into a real "shopping cart" operation rather than the current HTML picture-book of stuff. You know, like the real website of the largest woodart organization in the World should look and function.

When Jeff Jilg resigned as Secretary before the upgrade project was finished, I had the feeling that all that work this was going to go down the tubes, so I held off using any of the secure functions until the entire system was in place. I'm glad I did.

Personally, I'm not buying into the "service provider dissatisfaction" bit, but I doubt we'll ever hear what the real reason for this foul-up is.

Was "AMG" also the service provider or just the software provider?

To answer your question as to why I say that, the original poster was intimating that dues monies were being absconded with and I was wondering how he came to that conclusion from the statements "service provider dissatisfaction" wording. Does the poster have inside info? I'm not on this board but I've served on other boards of directors of organizations and know the organiztion has to be careful phrasing statements of this nature (firings, dissolutions of service, etc.)to avoid legal problems.
I have no knowlegde of what transpired with this service provider. I renewed online several weeks ago with no problem. As an aside I'll say this (again from personal experience) going from a member managed organization to an executive director managed organization is a tough transition.

Jim

Stoppy said:
Was "AMG" also the service provider or just the software provider?

AMG was the software developer and had, as is the normal case, an ongoing deal to provide service and support of the software which would have to be renewed on an annual basis. Software which runs a true functioning website with secure commercial and financial operations is, as I've been told, a far cry from buying off-the-shelf software in a box or learning HTML code so you can make text and font changes on a "display" site. It has to be monitored, tweaked, and updated from time to time to maintain its proper functioning and security.

The provider works with the on-site IT person/staff when issues arise, and provides upgrades and revisions as they become available, much like your antivirus software maker updates your definitions and program functions for an annual subscription fee. I know that Jeff was putting in huge amounts of purely volunteer time getting the new software up and running and the AAW staff trained. I suspect that they were unable to get someone to replace him and trashed the whole deal.

From my involvement on the committee, I know that even the AAW office staff could not access a member's credit card information even if input through the website, so the financial end of things was triple encripted and this could not be an issue of someone diverting dues funds by way of the new software or the website.

This website thing ain't to do with money. There's something else going on.

All that work for nothing . . . .

Website
www.seantroy.com
I'm amazed at all the conspiracy therories people come up with. What type of life one must lead to be so scared of the world and think everyone is out to get them. It's simple, service was not provided up to the high standards of the AAW so that portion of the service was nixed. Whats so damn hard about that to understand? Look out, the boogey man's right behind you !

Texian said:
And a free large order of fries? I really wanted those fries.

All fries orders cancelled in accordance with the ban on transfats.

"Too bad. Soooo Sad. Have a nice day." [ signed - N.Y.C. Food Police ]

:D :D

Last edited:
Now It's No More Fries

Oh, man! Now it's no more fries. :confused:

Whatever could be next?

Mark Mandell said:
All fries orders cancelled in accordance with the ban on transfats.

"Too bad. Soooo Sad. Have a nice day." [ signed - N.Y.C. Food Police ]

:D :D

S.O.P. Violation!

robert davis said:
lets hire a new executive director to find out

We must first appoint a committee and retain a consultant to consider and report on the feasibility of such a hiring. :rolleyes:

All I wanna know is how do I enter the drawing now! I was about to re-up on line but now this. The rules were before the first of the year so I think it should still be honored. Would credit card over the phone work?

I just got a reply back via email on that exact question.

The answer was: "Please write on your renewal to enter you in lathe drawing."

That makes the change not a problem for me. I have to say Eunice Wynn was very fast at replying!

Thank you!

Marc

I agree!

Kurt,
I agree that any reups now via mail or phone should be honored. I got paid the first and came onto the web site today to renew and found this mess. Institute a system in August after months of work and kill it the first of December - did anyone really give it a chance to get the bugs worked out!!?? :mad:

Re-up mess

Well...maybe I wuz jumping to concussions.... can I change my with fries order to "a fatty double patty genuine imitation hamburger with double drippy cheese slices on a sesame seed bun soaked in REAL dairy butter" and still get the Vanilla shake??? :confused: :confused:

well I hope my new membership went through!
I paid 12/3 around 10 pm for the 2007 membership.
I did get my membership # and password so I guess it did?
Jim

I am just going to wait to renew. Hopefully they will get all straightened ot so I can win the lathe. It has to be better then mine. :(

Erwin Nistler said:
I am just going to wait to renew. Hopefully they will get all straightened ot so I can win the lathe. It has to be better then mine. :(

Careful there, Professor Erwin! If your renewal is not received in the AAW office before January 1, 2007, you'd best include an extra $5.00 for the Late Renewal Fee. If I were you, I would (as will I, actually) write "enter me in the lathe drawing" on my paper renewal form going to the AAW by mail along with my check, and send it in with plenty of time to get there.

"He who hesitates may be wise, but he who hesitates waiting for somebody else to do something, usually pays more." ;)

Last edited:
But Seriously Folks--

Mr./Ms. Moderator Person,
Please post the "new rules" a.s.a.p., perhaps at the end of this thread and also in a new sticky thread. We all surely want a fair and equal shot at the lathe, the discount, the DVD, and getting our membership accurately renewed. You'll figure it out, and thanks.

Did I make a bad choice?

I recently joined online for 2006. I guess it worked, the charge cleared the bank. I've learned alot from reading this forum, but the frustration level in this thread seems pretty strong and makes wonder if there are problems with the AAW I should be concerned about before renewing for '07.

Let this be the final word...

OK guys, here's the official word:

1) Anyone joining or renewing for the year 2007 by fax, mail or phone is still eligible for the lathe drawing by indicating your wish to participate on the paper application/renewal form or by stating so when calling in to the AAW office.

2) All who join or renew their memberships for the year 2007 will receive a copy of the 2006 Symposium Sampling DVD (approximately 1 hour run time) and a copy of the 2007 Resource Directory.

3) All who join or renew their memberships for the year 2006 will receive a copy of the Sharpening DVD, but will not receive a 2006 Resource Directory, as the inventory of that issue has been depleted.

4) The $5.00 fee for those who renew their memberships or establish a new membership for the year 2007, any time after December 31 2006, is in effect and will be charged.

If you have any further questions or comments, I'd really like you to call the AAW office at (651) 484-9094. Posting unfounded speculations and conspiracy theories will not help resolve any legitimate questions you may have, so please…knock it off.

R

Ron Sardo

I plan on joining AAW so thanks for clearing that up Ed.

YoYoSpin said:
4) The $5.00 fee for those who renew their memberships or establish a new membership for the year 2007, any time after December 31 2006, is in effect and will be charged.

Is this a late fee or is the membership fee going up in 2007?

Thanks Ron...

As far as I know, there's no change in the membership fees planned. The $5.00 "late" fee is intended to cover the extra administrative cost associated with packing and mailing AW Journal issues, the Resource Directory and free DVD outside the normal mass-mailing process as well as any extra bookkeeping effort that may be required.

Back