• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Member's Rewards Program

I should post this on the President's forum, but I need help and the best way is to ask members. Does a club out there have a program to reward members for participation? I heard of such programs, but can't find them in the forums. If you know of one, let me know. Thanks.

Participation

My Richmond VA club has a drawing for a nice prize every month but to be in the drawing you have to bring a piece to show as part of the challenge of the month. Lots of play on that theme. It works. Phil

Every other month I issued a president's challenge. The challenge piece was something I had never turned before. Those that participated were eligible for a drawing that was a piece of primo turning stock from my stash.

Terry
Pres, Central Illinois Woodturners

Our chapter has two drawings after each Show and Tell session, first drawing is for a Craft Supplies gift certificate, second is for a Rockler gift certificate. Since this program was started we have slowly increased the number of members that bring pieces each month. Members are encouraged to participate regardless of skill level.

Capital Area Woodturners

Here at CAW we have a raffle every month. Here is the way we do it.
1. $150/$200 budget every month to purchase tools/buffing systems/finishes etc.
2. Nine to 10 months a year, we have a national and or internationaly known guest demoninstrator and we ask him/her if they would willing to donate one of their demo turnings. Never been turned down yet.
3. Gift certificates from Craft Supplies.
4. Gift cert. for 6 free rentals of tapes/dvds.
4. One of our members is a Oneway dealer another is a dealer for Penn State.
They both give the club discounts on merchendice to raffle off.
5. Another member is a wood dealer and donates pen blanks/turning squares.
So every month we have 4 or 5 items for the raffle.
6. Once a year we raffle off a big prize, like a Jet mini.
We have around 250 dues paying members and 100+ show up for every meeting. We sell lots of tickets. $1.00 or six for $5.00.
If want more details please feel free to contact me.
Jonathan Hess, Captial Area Woodturners Raffle Guy.

Yep!

Our club supports itself through a wood raffle every meeting. We do not have any monthly/yearly dues.

We also give a $15.00 gift certificate, chosen by drawing, to one member who has brought an example of the monthly "project." Strangely, our next month's "project" is a Christmas ornament. :eek:

Sky

I was visiting my good friend in Seattle,got picked up at airport, went straight to their board meeting. While there they discussed their participation program where each member who participated in set up, tear down, clean up, instant gallery, club officers, board members, bring wood for raffle, etc... filled out one to four raffle tickets depending on what they did. Then at the end of the year, a drawing for several "prizes" from tools, gift certificates, to a lathe are awarded.

Member buildin activities

To start, have a few members donate a turned piece. At the monthly meeting, sell raffle tickets at a buck each and draw for the donated items. The "catch" is (I know that's a bad woodturning word... :)) at the next meeting the raffle winners have to "bring back" a piece they have turned. Pens, bowls, boxes, even a wooden telephone, all kinds of things. Raffle off the "bring backs" and those winners bring back a new turning at the next meeting.

Volunteer to set up some mini lathes, or larger ones if you can get them mobile, at various civic shows. Even novice turners get a lot of confidence turning for the locals. Make "Freedom pens" for a small donation $5, $10, etc. Or, make "empty bowls" for the local soup kitchens. They auction the bowls to benefactors for $35, $50 or more and use the cash to buy food.

Ask for a few pedestals at local, small museums, or "arts and crafts" groups. Members can display their best turnings. Taking the grand kids to a crafts display can really make a member's day!

Back