• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Finishing Stabilized Pen Blanks

I am a new turner, and have been making some pens. I got my first batch of stabilized blanks and am ready to craft some pens with them. What should I do as far as sandpaper grits, etc. I want as shiny a finish as possible. On non-stabilized wood I have been sanding to 600 grit, then burnishing with shavings. Hut Crystal Coat next and then some wax. A satisfactory finish I believe. I bought the Hut PPP satin/gloss bars, but haven't gotten good results with that yet.

Website
www.hiltonhandcraft.com
Those stabilized blanks are as much resins as they are wood. They'll benefit from higher grits (the sky is the limit) without a doubt. I go to 2,000+ on stabilized, acrylic, corian and other plastics blanks and then start the buffing process with abrasive compounds ... whitening toothpaste. It not only polishes your teeth. And it comes in handy travel sizes too!

After the polishing, I just do a little carnauba wax buff and I'm done. Every once in awhile for these types of projects and materials, I'll do a lacquer based friction polish instead of the wax though. I do that more for the higher-end stuff and for the actual wooden materials.

Yes they are definately worth it as is the MicroMesh kit ... both are great for finishing pens... especially the wetsanding that really gives a smooth glassy finish to stabilized blanks or CA finished blanks....

Back