• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lace bobbins

A few months back, I recall an article written about Bonnie Klien or Mary Lacer making lace bobbins ... but guess what ... my 50+ brain can find it in the AAW journal, which I think is where it appeared. I could be wrong on that, too. Anyway, was hoping someone here could recall it as I have occasion to make a few for a friend that is into lace work. Have looked through all my journals and Woodturning Design and can't spot it!! It had lots of color pics and specifications.
Any help would be appreciated.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Denny
I suspect the article was in a 2004 (or ealier), as I know I don't have it. That being said, IMO and (more importantly) my wife's (i.e. she who makes lace) the best publication on making lace bobbins is David Springett's "Turning Lace Bobbins"
There is also some good info available on "Da Web".

TTFN
Ralph

PS just found this link listing dozens of publications

Last edited:
What style of bobbin?

Does your lacemaker want Bruges, Midlands, Honiton or some other style? David Springett's is very good but deals almost exclusively with Midlands bobbins. I have some (not much) material on Bruges if that's of interest.

Graeme

thanks!

You guys are great and CoryO - I have that video - I knew I saw it somewhere! thanks again!

Back