• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Disaster Strikes!!!

Website
www.beyondbark.com
Lessons learned the hard way!!!

I was turning my newest segment vessel and had it nearly complete. I decided I needed to sand the inside better since I had created some rough patches with my hollow master. My dilemma was that I did not have a good way to do it. Therefore, I improvised. I took a little dowel I had and taped on a piece of sand paper and proceeded to sand the inside. That is when it happened . . . the dowel slipped out of my hand and shattered the top 2 layers off my piece. I was a little upset but I decide I could fix it. I remade the top two rings and while they were drying, I thinned out the walls a little more and sanded them down. Unfortunately, I thinned them a little too much and the entire vessel shattered apart. So, after 20 hours of work and 145 separate pieces cut and glued I ended up with an nice pile of rubble.

Below is what it looked like before it blew up. Inspired by Curt Theobald’s Blood Brothers

http://www.curttheobald.com/photos/BloodBrothersLg.jpg

Attached is what it did look like and what is left now.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to CORRECTLY sand the inside of a hollow form??

Attachments

• minipot.jpg
    minipot.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 441
  • bustedvessel.jpg
    bustedvessel.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 444
Oops! :(

I do very little segmented work but for a shape like that I would use an inflatable bulb sander on a flex shaft. I got mine from Woodworkers Supply but Klingspor's also has them (item 140R is the bulb sander, I don't have the drum style).

Graeme

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've only blown up 2 segmented vessels. Both of them while sanding the inside. I often make them in 2 halves so I can sand and turn 2 bowls instead of a hollow vessel but these were done complete and then hollowed. I'm pretty sure what happened was touching the wood too agressively with the sandpaper. The piece then pulls the sandpaper and dowel down and then over to the right very rapidly and blows out the side of the vessel.

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
cypher said:
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to CORRECTLY sand the inside of a hollow form??

I don't know if this is correct or not, but what I have been using for the inside of hollow vessels is a homemade device that consists of a hollow ball (racquet ball, handball, ping pong ball, etc.....various sized hollow balls). I drill a hole at one end big enough to snuggly accept a length of threaded rod as a handle and insert the rod in roughly 3/4 of the way into the ball. I like the rod long enough that I can hold it with two hands easily for control. I have also made shorter versions that I use mostly on a drill at low speed. I drill a larger hole at the opposite end of the ball big enough to pour epoxy or fiber glass resin into the ball until it is flush with the hole. I then let that cure and finally glue the j side of velcro onto the ball. To make the handle comfortable I have been using appropriate sized shrink tubing where my hands are, and I also leave the very end of the handle uncovered so I can insert it into the chuck of a drill if I want.

After making my first one I saw a very similar idea in Craft Supply, though I don't remember who had done it. Looked like a nicely made product. I kept making my own though since I could make various sizes to suit my needs.

Haven't toasted a bowl with this approach yet......of course yet is the operative word here!!!!

Hope this helps.

Dave

R

Ron Sardo

I know how you feel, my last segmented piece blew off the vacuum chuck when I was cleaning up the bottom.

Luckly, it was a clean break along a seam. I could remake the top. I even made a new set of jaws so I can chuck the piece back up.

The problem is matching up the wood so the color is the same.

Website
www.georgetroygraphics.com
I work from the inside out off of a plan. The rings are finished as I go. I do not have to return or sand, it's done. All you need is inside calipers for this. This is the way Curt Theobald does it and I do the same as shown by him in his classes. It works try it. GT

cypher said:
Lessons learned the hard way!!!

I was turning my newest segment vessel and had it nearly complete. I decided I needed to sand the inside better since I had created some rough patches with my hollow master. My dilemma was that I did not have a good way to do it. Therefore, I improvised. I took a little dowel I had and taped on a piece of sand paper and proceeded to sand the inside. That is when it happened . . . the dowel slipped out of my hand and shattered the top 2 layers off my piece. I was a little upset but I decide I could fix it. I remade the top two rings and while they were drying, I thinned out the walls a little more and sanded them down. Unfortunately, I thinned them a little too much and the entire vessel shattered apart. So, after 20 hours of work and 145 separate pieces cut and glued I ended up with an nice pile of rubble.

Below is what it looked like before it blew up. Inspired by Curt Theobald’s Blood Brothers

http://www.curttheobald.com/photos/BloodBrothersLg.jpg

Attached is what it did look like and what is left now.

Back