• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Question about turning speeds

I'm looking at the Jet 16 x 42 & see that while it says "variable speed" in the ad, it appears that there actually are 7 or 8 speed settings. While that would be considerably better than what I have now, a delta midi lathe which I stop & move the belt, I wondered if I would be better w/ a true variable speed lathe. I'm still a beginning turner & want a lathe that will serve me well for a long time -- I'm not that happy w/ the quality of the delta.

Jet's got a pretty good deal going on the 1642 right now but I still want to spend my money wisely -- there's not that much of it & the wife's watching. She's not convinced that I need a new lathe anyway.

thanks,

g

greg,

Best check your source. Both of the 1642 's are EVS which means continuous variable speed. The 1442, however, uses a reeves drive, same as the old 1236, to give 6-7 speed settings.

If you're considering the 2hp 1642EVS, you should should also look carefully at the P-matic 3520B which could be the last lathe you buy.

Inform your wife that most turners go through 3-6 lathes (buying, upgrading, reselling) as they progress. If you take the bigger step now, you'll save the depreciation "losses" on those intermediate machines. :D

take a big step...

If you're a serious turner then take the bigger step up to the PM 3520b. The difference in price is worth it according to those that I know who have/had both.

According to my web research the PM 3520b is the best lathe for the $ spent.
The best lathe at any price is Oneway; however I have not found sufficient data to compare said lathe w/General, Robust, Serious, Vega, Vicmarc, etc. lathes.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
arbud said:
however I have not found sufficient data to compare said lathe w/General, Robust, Serious, Vega, Vicmarc, etc. lathes.
I think Serious is out of the lathe business.

Website
www.seantroy.com
Mark Mandell said:
greg,

Best check your source. Both of the 1642 's are EVS which means continuous variable speed. The 1442, however, uses a reeves drive, same as the old 1236, to give 6-7 speed settings.

If you're considering the 2hp 1642EVS, you should should also look carefully at the P-matic 3520B which could be the last lathe you buy.

Inform your wife that most turners go through 3-6 lathes (buying, upgrading, reselling) as they progress. If you take the bigger step now, you'll save the depreciation "losses" on those intermediate machines. :D

Mark is dead on there. The 3520 is worth the extra few dollars.

I followed the same path, started with the Delta Midi and outgrew it's capabilities. Looked at the PM 3520a (before the 3520b came out) but ran across a good deal on the Jet 1642 (220 v model, with the bigger motor but offhand don't remember the HP). If all things had been equal I may have gone with the PM but the Jet was about $1300 cheaper on the deal I got that day, and that was a sizable difference in my opinion. I have been very satisfied with it, won't say that I won't someday get a bigger one but so far the Jet has been everything I could ask for.

To answer your original question- The Jet 1642 is a true variable speed model with a digital LED readout on the front. Mine does have two belt settings, one for 0 to about 1600 RPM and another for 0-3500 RPM I think. Mine usally is at the lower speed setting so that Ihave better control of the speed range and also gives more torque (simple mechanical engineering), but I have changed to the higher speed a few times when I making pens just to say that I have done it. I usually now just make pens on the lower speed with no problems.

I love my 1642 and about half the price the 3520 was not a serious contender at the time. I would rather have the $$ difference in new tools, extra chuck, etc. If you want more info just PM me. If I write too much on here the 3520 fans will start attacking. :cool2:

Seriously...

Steve, Vince is still in business in Medford, OR. He's still making tools & lathes.

Greg,
Also have the Jet 1642EVS-2, as Woodwish described. Two belt speeds and 2 hp. electronic variable speed. Have never used the high range belt position. The EVS with digital tachometer is great. Mine starts at 50 rpm, which is dandy for power sanding while you slow-roll the work piece. I seldom make product recommendations, but think this is a pretty good machine and maybe the best value per $$ that is out there. Granted there are bigger, and/or better, and certainly more expensive, lathes on the market. And that's great for folks who need 'em, want 'em, and can afford 'em. Wish I was one of 'em.

Meanwhile (for those who read every post on every forum), my high speed vibration is in the motor. Service personnel say they will replace the motor, spindle, and bearings, at the least. Fortunately, can continue to use the lathe as usual, several hours a day, several days a week. Rough turned a 14" oak bowl this morning, from a big, heavy, out of balance, chunk of tree. Way too much like work. Are you guys sure this is FUN? Have 5 more "tree chunks" plus the other half of two-trunk tree dead but still standing.

Oops. Yammered on a bit. Sorry about that.

arbud said:
Steve, Vince is still in business in Medford, OR. He's still making tools & lathes.

Vince? Who's Vince. Bernie M. owned the Serious company. When I called him shopping for a lathe, he tried to sell me the company instead!! Last I heard he was making tools but the lathes were history. I met a guy who had one of the bowl lathes. Would have been too big for my shop.

m

Greg,

I've got the PM 3520B and I'm very happy with it. I could have gotten the Oneway 2436 but I didn't think it was worth the extra money. I guess I'm just value oriented. You will also see a thread here on getting a "dream lathe" which is also full of helpful information.

That said, I started with a Delta 1442 with mechanical variable speed and a reeves drive. I was delighted with it but soon found it's faults as my skills :confused: progressed. You will find that EVS is a wonderful addition to most any lathe but certainly, in my opinion, stability needs to be high on the priority list of features followed by horsepower, capacity, speed control, height of spindle, etc. in no particular order.

Lots of folks here are happy with the 14 and 16 inch Jets with EVS and while I've never turned on one, I wouldn't send you away from one based on the positive comments I've read here.

Love my 1642

Woodwish is right though ... someday I need, want and will afford the Powermatic. A 18 or 19 inch platter will be much more impressive than a 14 or 15 inch platter I can make on the 1642. I started with the Jet Mini and I too got a great deal on the 1642. While desire says PM the 1642 has done everything I asked of it.

Vibration: I find that any vibration I get goes away when I change belt positions. I go in cycles; little things stoppers/pens/very small bowls then the itch hits and I'll turn big stuff for a month or more. I change the belt position and whatever was stuck to the belt falls off and my little vibration is gone. I do not have extra weight on my machine, something that I should do that would help.

If the budget can take it get the PM if not the 1642 will make you happy. Keep back some cash for tools, chucks and other assecories.

Enjoy the shopping
Frank

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Mark Mandell said:
Bernie M. owned the Serious company. When I called him shopping for a lathe, he tried to sell me the company instead!! m
Me too. I went as far as to get an inventory list (for the tool side) and looking for investors. Would not have been good enough to quit my day job.

Oh yeah--

If you are 5'-8" or shorter and get the Jet, might want to check the spindle elevation before installing the screw-in feet in the bottom of the legs.

Greg

I also have the Jet 1642-2 lathe. 2 HP, 220v, EVSR and it's a great lathe for me. I bought it about 17 months ago and it's been very good - no problems, no concerns, just keeps running. Neither the biggest nor the smallest lathe available. Though I've recently done a few plates and bowls, most of my turnings are spindles. Add the 18" bed extension and you can go up to 60" in length. I have turned some splayed back chair legs and have used virtually all of it, and it worked perfectly.

I looked at quite a few lathes and it came down to this one and the PM 3520B. A PM 3520B was about $1200 more when I bought this one and I couldn't justify the added $$. So far I have yet to try turning something it hasn't handled just fine. Very good lathe and I'd do it again.

Paul

Back