• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

rolly munro articulated hollower

Does anyone have experience with this system? Specificly having experience with using it in conjunction with other hollowing tools and captured rigs. The more I look at it the more I keep thinking this would be a great addition to add to my hollowing rig as well as for doing rimmed bowls, but can't see spending the extra $250 without having a reason to do so. Currently have monster lathe tools complete system, ellsworth tools, termite and some homemade tools as well as two capture rigs. Is there a viable reason for getting this or is it just post surgery boredom telling me to buy new tools.

Last edited:
Martin Braun said:
I have looked at that in the catalogs, and always thought to myself that it seemed a little unstable. Having my thumb wrapped around that knob would make me nervous. I've wondered if something like these would be better. I've not ventured much into hollow forms yet to have an informed opinion.

http://www.albasham.com/catalog/ind...Path=2&zenid=9505206108c2606138f341827ba91172

i don't care much for front mount stabelizer bars, they get in the way as much as they help, which is a good part of the reason why i prefer a captured hollow rig. I do however like the laser attachment he has for the keltopn coring unit. I have a good feel for using it these days but it sure would have been helpful in the begining I am not worried about the knob as I can also put a side mount handle not to mention until I get the strength back into my hands (doc says she wants to do some pre-emptive work on my right hand now since I will be losing my current insurance carrier at the end of the fiscal year.

Website
www.cobwebcrafts.co.uk
deep hollowers

Hello,

I use the Hamlet Big Brother and Texian from Sorby for most deep hollowing, but tried a club members Roly Monroe and thought it was a superb tool. The quality is second to none, and the knob, once you get used to it not being a side handle, is actually very ergonomic. The cutter heads are expensive to replace, but honing will not wear it out in a hurry so that's not a real concern.

I know Jimmy Clewes likes the tool, and if you can get hold of a set of the latest DVDs (the three disc set) he does give a brief overview of the tool and shows it in use on the DVD.

And if you're having an operation - and best of luck with it - you deserve a new tool! Go on, treat yourself!

Good luck,

Andy

that certainly moves the dvd set up higher on ther priority list.

Website
www.cobwebcrafts.co.uk
DVDs

It's a good set.

Actually, I realy wish that I wouldn't keep finding reasons to mention it here...for one thing I don't get a penny in commission! And secondly, every time I mention them I get an almost overwhelming urge to watch them again...and I'm busy getting ready for sale and demo tomorrow so I haven't got time!

Andy

Hey guys, it would really be helpful if when you mention an item that some of us may not be familiar with (Joe Blow's hollowing set-up or so-n-so's DVD), add a link to your post so we can check these cool items out more closely - thanks!

Best regards,
Ed D.

Last edited:
Munro tool

I don't own the tool but I've used one a couple of times. It worked well for me up to about 5" in depth. More leverage is needed if one is to hollow any deeper.

Website
www.cwsonline.com.au
I like the Munro tools because I am more of a hands type turner. I dont like being restricted by frames and gates. There is no feed back to the turner.

I have both the mega set and his new mini tool. They give good feedback to the user and are easy to use with no kickback like some other tools with exposed cutters.

I use the tool with the support of my arm and tucked into my side, {another advantage of my DVRXP swivel head lathe}. If you try to use it like traditional tools then you will feel very uncomfortable.

Having the movable guard on top of the cutter dictates the amount of cut you are going to get 3/4mm for roughing out, 1/2mm for cleaning up and 1/4mm for final finishing. You can work from an opening of about 30mm smaller with the mini set.

I have turned forms 8" round by 10" deep with the mega set.

I have used a lot of other types of hand held hollowing tools over the years and I find the Munro tools the most comfortable to use.

Jim Carroll said:
I have turned forms 8" round by 10" deep with the mega set.

I have seen some of soren bergers hollow work this size with the tool and that is part of what got me thinking about it.

Website
www.lavieenbois.com
Hello,

I have one, and love it. it's really my tool of choice when I have a 1" opening or bigger. I've tried many hollowing tools, including the hamlet, woodcut, bct, ...
I've recommended it to many friends, and never got one negative feedback.
the only limitation I see is that the links shape don't allow you to reach very far sideways in flat hollow forms (flying saucer forms), the proforme is better at this.
I've written an article about both tools, you can read it here:
http://www.lavieenbois.com/tournage/kiwi_eng.htm
hope this helps,

Pascal

I love that piece.

Does the hollower have enough rigidity to add another curved section? I know a few machinists that trade there services for a cool piece of art for the wife. Or even possible by the pieces directly.

Last edited:
Back