• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Processing green wood...

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Looks like you been busy, Ron.....:D

Question for you: Is the 3520B banjo a straight pin to the side of the tool rest post for securing the tool rest?

That looks like a convenient way to store the tailstock. With that sheet, it's hard to tell exactly how you have it mounted there......?

-----odie-----

Odie -
Yes, the banjo post lock is just a straight screw against the post. I know that many have had issues with this, and I wish it were the opposing pinch grips. But frankly, I’ve never had a problem with it not holding securely. 9A4F88C7-1319-4AAF-9D61-550D1CE922B6.jpeg

Regarding the tail stock holder, it’s just a wood bracket that sits on the end of my jointer. That makes it similar height to the 3520 and just a couple feet away from the end of the lathe for an easy on/off. FB0C5AB9-D0D1-456C-AC88-E14700FF14E7.jpeg

Glenn - That’s because I weigh so little :)

Not sure you can tell from the photo, but about 45deg off the end of the lathe I had a couple feet that were a flat couple inches of shavings. At one point today while mounting a new piece I was up on about 6” of shavings and stumbled into a completed blank I had buried in shavings until I anchor sealed it...oops... The photo was taken *after* I dug out *all* the bowls from lower left pile, and the pile behind the lathe, and sealed them :)

odie

TOTW Team
Why not clean up after each bowl???????????

Because the "pile of shavings photo" has become a "rite of passage" for turners......many of us have been there, done that......including me! :D

-----odie-----

Because the "pile of shavings photo" has become a "rite of passage" for turners......many of us have been there, done that......including me! :D

-----odie-----

That sounds like a challenge!! The problem is that Ron turned what is probably a lifetime of bowls, for me at least, in just several days. I'm only on my 6th bowl now....

Thanks Lamar and Dan. This is the second shop now that I've outfitted with knotty pine shiplap (run vertically b/c of dust). I'm very fortunate that I've been able to put together a shop that just feels good to be in, and to accumulate much better tools in than I am a woodworker. My shop isn't just a means to an end for me, it's part of the journey that I enjoy. If you're ever in TN stop by, I love to 'talk shop' :)

Here’s a couple shots after I cleaned up the shavings, they show off the shop much better :)
D819751C-D7AF-41CC-B3FC-6009919707E2.jpeg
EC49A006-1B2B-437E-BB0C-B776A26DAC64.jpeg

Ron, what are the dimensions of your shop? Mine is roughly 20x20, which isn't much smaller than how yours appears from the pictures, but mine seems much more crowded! (Not just clutter, although if I'mbeing honest there's a fair bit of that too.)

Ron, Nice looking shop, but I’d be afraid to price out those pine walls with the current high lumber prices. One thing nice about TN is never having a shortage of good turning wood. Where in TN is your shop located? I’m in West TN about 15 minutes north of Memphis.

Dust collection and power under the floor? How great would that be! Not really an option with my cement slab.
What's the floor construction?

Dan and Tom,
My shop is 18x25, but unfortunately the front corner is restricted by a staircase (put dust collector under there) and I carved out a small finish room (5x7) with a sink so l lose about 60ft between those.

The floor is concrete, good and bad, but I had the forethought to plumb in a 6” dust collector return along with two 240v and one 120v feeds.

Here’s a couple more shots from the other side. If you piece together all the shots you’ll get a good picture of the shop. The last shot is into the tiny finish room.
53CC465A-A069-481F-A346-0AC39808AD69.jpeg
C67CE70B-CEB1-4EF6-AC58-685381BBBDFD.jpeg
F7656671-FE76-4ED3-A84C-34B8EB6B9BE5.jpeg
C4BB03E8-345B-4378-8B27-F425D69CF60D.jpeg
BDCFB013-D06D-4D45-998A-C061A3B77F00.jpeg

Karl,
We’re in Crossville in an RV community with huge garages (gardensrvvillage.com). We like to travel about 5months out of the year in our 5th wheel (covid has impacted that this year) and go by you to one of our favorite 1st night stops when heading west: Tom Sawyer campground in West Memphis.

BTW - when I built this 5yrs ago the best price I got on the ship lap was having it delivered from someone in north GA, I think it came out between $1-$2/ft delivered back then. I wouldn’t want to price it now!

Last edited:
That is a great looking shop. I'm particularly impressed with the angles of all the major parts, makes much more functional space to have ability work around the bench and saw this way. Plus, the planer has a longer stretch for both infeed and outfeed. That definitely is a shop that would be very comfortable to work in for a long time. Well done.

Nice shop. I'm also rough turning a walnut tree that I took down a couple moths ago; that pile of shavings looks familiar.

I recall reading a while ago about a turner who passed away, and his family had to clean out five or six garbage cans of shavings. It was made to sound like the guy was lax about cleaning up. I chuckled a bit; that's only a good weekend's work.

Great pic - but - that does not look very safe (fire, stumbling, etc)! Why not clean up after each bowl???????????
Well, since you asked...When you've got a bunch of freshly cut logs you've just hauled home and you need to get them processed before they crack, you've got to be speedy and efficient. Plus, when you're turning green wood, the wood is going to warp while you're turning, so the faster you get through it the easier the turning and the more uniform the rough blank will be. The moist shavings make a good place to park a blank on which you've turned the outside, and you're in production mode, so you go on to the next blank to turn the outside before you do the inside. The spongy shavings are really pretty comfortable and slip resistant, so it's not so much of a safety problem. Until the pile gets so high you need a snorkle.

And Ron, I too lust after your shop. :oops:

Dean - gotcha! I turn one bowl every month or so (using dried blanks), so I appreciate the production mode explanation.

Ron - I looked at the link for your housing website - I love the garage spaces! We are not RV folks, but I'm a hot rod/sport car owner so you have me drooling (and thinking!). I have a 3 car garage now, yet only have about an 8'x14' corner to turn in. With those high RV garage ceilings I am fantasizing about hoists and multiple stacked cars.

I need to stop thinking about this.... (and TN vs. MI weather......)

Rob,
There are several hot rodders here. A few with multiple stacked cars on lifts, and several that build or restore them. A couple with full welding shops that have built frame up. The only requirement is you have an RV garage, not that you have to have an RV :) - though most do. We came through here in spring of 2016, fell in love, and went back to MN and sold our house and moved down here that summer. If you’re coming near this area you should stop by, if you have an RV they’ll put you up free with full hookups on “Homeless Hill” for a couple days while you check it out.

To bring it back to turning before I get kicked off here, we have at least 10 turners in our community that I’m aware of, and more interested in it. Our local Cumberland Woodturners club can’t be beat with several expert turners, including a few nationally renowned.

BTW - weather in MI is probably similar to MN...it’s MUCH better here (not that I still don’t love MN) :)

Ron - sounds like heaven. I have not been successful in convincing my wife that we move to San Diego (fires, mudslides, etc), I may start working on TN with her!! She doesn't want to leave MI, however.

Hmmm - I see you are not far from I-75 - and we will most likely drive to FL for the month of Jan '22. In Jan 2020 we stayed overnight in Cleveland TN.

odie

TOTW Team
@Ron Solfest .....great looking shop! :D

My shop is so cramped, compared to that.....but I have no more space to expand. I guess you have to work with what you got!

We should start a thread of shop photos......gives us ideas! ;)

-----odie-----

@Ron Solfest .....great looking shop! :D

My shop is so cramped, compared to that.....but I have no more space to expand. I guess you have to work with what you got!

We should start a thread of shop photos......gives us ideas! ;)

-----odie-----

LOL odie, not my shop! I'd need to clean for a month to get it to where I'd show it to anyone.

odie

TOTW Team
LOL odie, not my shop! I'd need to clean for a month to get it to where I'd show it to anyone.

Heck, my shop ain't so pretty either......but, I'll take some new photos, if there is any interest, besides me! :D

-----odie-----
shop photos november 7 2020  (59).JPG

That is the shop of dreams. I have one of those 12'x20' barn-type buildings that are built on site to your specs. It's nice enough, but I am always struggling with clean-up and organization (and crowding, now that I've added a lathe and bandsaw!).

My next purchase and installation is going to have to be some sort of dust collection system; a 3M mask and shop-vac just aren't cutting it anymore (which is a separate thread).

The tips on turning walnut and tossing each rough-turned bowl in the growing shavings pile until you come back to it is something I'm going to have to try soon, as I have a bunch of green black walnut logs to start processing. I suppose my next Instagram post needs to be the shavings pile, lol!

Ron - sounds like heaven. I have not been successful in convincing my wife that we move to San Diego (fires, mudslides, etc), I may start working on TN with her!! She doesn't want to leave MI, however.

Hmmm - I see you are not far from I-75 - and we will most likely drive to FL for the month of Jan '22. In Jan 2020 we stayed overnight in Cleveland TN.
5 miles from I-75. Tennessee is booming, even with the Covid virus taking its toll. Cleveland is halfway between the Great Lakes are and Disney World. So...c'mon down.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm with John. Love Tennessee. My area west of Nashville about 80 miles is a prime retirement area. They are building homes everywhere so apparently I'm not the only one who loves this area. Of course I've lived here most of my life.

Okay, since this thread is titled "Processing Green Wood," please indulge a beginner technical question on exactly that. My son the he-man tree-guy helped me start processing some green black walnut logs this afternoon that he brought home recently. He would cut them to about 12" long logs with his chain saw to fit in the Rikon 14" bandsaw I just got last week, after which I would mark out the pith, and cut that part out vertically on the Rikon. After that I would cut corner off both sides, and then put the resulting flat against the fence and cut a flat horizontally on the other side, mark my circle with a compass, and finally cut the circle. Though I am still going at it, I will end up with a stack of roughly 6"deep by 8" round bowl blanks. I hope I am doing this right-so far, I have mostly cut out square stock from Cook Woods or spindle stock from various sources, so this is new territory for me.

My question is, if I liberally coated every surface of the green walnut blanks immediately with AnchorSeal, how long can I wait before rough-turning them? I am desperately behind on Spring yard work if you know what I mean, and time is a precious commodity right now. Thanks for any advice! Aaron

edit: Oh, and if it makes any difference in your answer, I am stacking the blanks on top of each other inside my shop in the humid Southeast. I will have the windows open on nice days.

Last edited:
Okay, since this thread is titled "Processing Green Wood," please indulge a beginner technical question on exactly that. My son the he-man tree-guy helped me start processing some green black walnut logs this afternoon that he brought home recently. He would cut them to about 12" long logs with his chain saw to fit in the Rikon 14" bandsaw I just got last week, after which I would mark out the pith, and cut that part out vertically on the Rikon. After that I would cut corner off both sides, and then put the resulting flat against the fence and cut a flat horizontally on the other side, mark my circle with a compass, and finally cut the circle. Though I am still going at it, I will end up with a stack of roughly 6"deep by 8" round bowl blanks. I hope I am doing this right-so far, I have mostly cut out square stock from Cook Woods or spindle stock from various sources, so this is new territory for me.

My question is, if I liberally coated every surface of the green walnut blanks immediately with AnchorSeal, how long can I wait before rough-turning them? I am desperately behind on Spring yard work if you know what I mean, and time is a precious commodity right now. Thanks for any advice! Aaron
If you aren't going to be turning them as soon as possible leave as much length as possible so you can cut off any end checking you do get. As for how long can you store them, thats going to depend on wood species, climate, and probably a bunch of other things. It can even depend on the individual tree. I've had ash blanks that have sat for a year without cracking and some that sat for a week and split down the middle.
Green wood processing is a little different for everyone.
If I'm not going to be turning something for a long time I store full logs off the ground on pallets, covered with a tarp.
There will be many different answers for this.

Aaron, what Russell said :)

If I'm not going to process right away, I try and cut the length of the log ~6" longer than it's diameter with the assumption I'll be losing 3" on each end when I process them. This is for long-term storage (weeks-months), including anchor sealing ends. My goal is to process the same day anything that I cut length to same as diameter. Most importantly, since you're removing the pith and anchor sealing you'll be improving your odds of delaying cracking. With that said, I suspect you'll start to see some cracks starting to develop in days. Maybe you won't lose too much on the ends if you get to it in a week or so, maybe not.

The first walnut I got years ago someone had already cut to 1' lengths intending to use it for firewood...I "rescued" it, painted the ends and stored it through the winter in MN under our deck. By the time I got to it later the next summer I ended up bandsawing mostly spindle blanks from about 20 log sections, don't think I got any full half section bowls out of that tree :(

Bottom line, avoid sawing to length as long as you can but cutting the pith out will help a lot. YMMV
Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks, Doug-I may try to get to the round-prepped blanks in the coming days in spite of my other time demands (teaching job, yardwork, etc., etc.). I've got the other logs still sealed up in my shop, and will try to get them prepped and rough-turned in the next couple of weeks.

If all else fails, my spring break is the 1st week of April. I have no desire to lose gifted black walnut to the firewood pile!

Aaron, I do half of the log processing with my chainsaw before using the bandsaw. For regular bowls, I lay the log on its side then use the chainsaw to cut the bark off on two opposite sides. Next I split the log down the middle which forms two bowl blanks that are flat on the top & bottom. These blanks are then taken to the band saw to be cut into rounds. Note: If the log is really large then cut out a larger 2” to 4” section from the middle to be used as quarter sawn turning stock. You want to Avoid leaving any tight circular growth rings in your blanks if at all possible.

If you can’t do the rough turning right away then you need to slow down any moisture loss. Below are several ways to think over:

* Apply at least two coats of sealant like Anchor Seal (or white glue watered down 50% with water). Keeps the coated blanks out of the sun and away from high heat.

* Wrap with plastic wrap and stick in a freezer if you have spare room. Great way to store a partially turned bowl until you can get back to it;

* Soak in a solution that’s half water and half dishwashing soap for a couple of days. Some turners use this method instead of anchor seal on green bowls after the first turning.

* Dump blanks into a plastic 55 gallon drum filled with water;

* Ask around for old canning wax or candles, and melt them onto your blanks using an old electric skillet bought from Goodwill. Just be careful using the hot wax outside, and don’t let the wax get too hot or it may catch on fire. Low to medium heat works.

I’ve have tried all these ways, but lately I prefer using hot wax since I have boxes of old candles to use up.

Back