• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Keith Burns passes

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I don't know how many of you knew Keith. He was from the Memphis area and worked with their club. He was always at the TAW symposiums running the Carter tools Booth. I had many conversations with him. What a heck of nice guy. I miss him already. So sad. He got the Covid virus and just couldn't beat it. His wife is still getting over the virus. Be careful out there folks. Keith was in good health and not that old. Hits home when a friend who is your age gets the virus and dies. My deepest sympathies to the family and all his friends. He had many.

How very sad to hear but thanks for letting us know. His work has always been an inspiration that I could only dream of realizing. My condolences to his family and friends.

Hello all. I am Brian Burns, Keith's son. Thank you for the kind words. I can't tell you how much he loved the turning community, helping and learning from others, and the real life and online lifelong friendships he made. He loved his work with Carter and the travel to different symposiums, clubs, and shows. He and we loved the pieces he did as collaborations. Our homes and hearts are full with memories and beautiful pieces he left behind. I was proud and lucky to be able to call him my Dad.

In this time of COVID, it is hard to have a proper funeral and memorial. I have connected with some of his turning friends who have shared some great materia, but if any of you have any stories, photos, jokes, nicknames, favorite pieces, or other memories of Dad to share I would be forever grateful. I promise to share them with family.

He will be cremated and placed in a large urn he made in 2005. More specifically, we kids were instructed specifically to add the 2nd parent to the urn when the time comes and give it a good shake before laying it to rest :)

I have spent a lot of time just sitting in his shop this last week. Active until the end, this is how the turning corner of the shop be loved so much was left. A final piece left in process on the lathe surrounded by mounds of resting curls. Very fitting.
Dads Final Turning.jpg

Thank you for sharing this Brian. I only knew your dad by a number of interactions on some of the woodturning forums, but he always had a friendly and helpful way toward those of us who were coming along in this turning craft a decade or more ago. His work always inspired, and his generosity of helpful advice never went ungiven. I appreciated him and his work.....my heartfelt condolences to you and the rest of your family.

I’m a member of the Mid-South Woodturners Guild, and was saddened to hear about Keith’s passing since many of our club members are retired or near retirement age and are most at risk with COVID-19. I recently looked over you Keith’s gallery pics here, and wish I could have spent time learning from Keith because he turned some beautiful pieces.

I think it’d bring back some good memories and a little healing if you could finish turning one of you dad’s pieces. If you decide to do this then let me know if you need any assistance with this.

I’m a member of the Mid-South Woodturners Guild, and was saddened to hear about Keith’s passing since many of our club members are retired or near retirement age and are most at risk with COVID-19. I recently looked over you Keith’s gallery pics here, and wish I could have spent time learning from Keith because he turned some beautiful pieces.

I think it’d bring back some good memories and a little healing if you could finish turning one of you dad’s pieces. If you decide to do this then let me know if you need any assistance with this.

Thank you Karl, I greatly appreciate that offer. My Mom is still in the ICU, but is on a much more optimistic trajectory. I'm waiting until Mom is home and has a chance to grieve before asking her what she wants to do with any unfinished pieces. The one on the lathe looks incredibly close to completion to my untrained eye, and I would love to complete it when things are not as raw.

Hello all. I am Brian Burns, Keith's son. Thank you for the kind words. I can't tell you how much he loved the turning community, helping and learning from others, and the real life and online lifelong friendships he made. He loved his work with Carter and the travel to different symposiums, clubs, and shows. He and we loved the pieces he did as collaborations. Our homes and hearts are full with memories and beautiful pieces he left behind. I was proud and lucky to be able to call him my Dad.

In this time of COVID, it is hard to have a proper funeral and memorial. I have connected with some of his turning friends who have shared some great materia, but if any of you have any stories, photos, jokes, nicknames, favorite pieces, or other memories of Dad to share I would be forever grateful. I promise to share them with family.

He will be cremated and placed in a large urn he made in 2005. More specifically, we kids were instructed specifically to add the 2nd parent to the urn when the time comes and give it a good shake before laying it to rest :)

I have spent a lot of time just sitting in his shop this last week. Active until the end, this is how the turning corner of the shop be loved so much was left. A final piece left in process on the lathe surrounded by mounds of resting curls. Very fitting.
View attachment 36924

MSWG is having their monthly meeting tomorrow at 8:30AM. Send me a private msg if you want the Zoom meeting information. I can get you in touch with our club president if you want him to send out an email asking for other stories and memories about Keith.

Sorry to hear about your mom still being in ICU. That’s got to be rough losing a spouse while being stuck in ICU. I’ll be saying a prayer that she gets out soon so she can grieve with the rest of the family.

When you have time maybe you could share a story involving your dad’s woodturning adventures.

-Karl

What a talented turner he was. Thanks Bill for sharing his work. So sorry for your loss Brian, I did not know your Dad personally but really would like to have. We will keep your Mom in our prayers and pray for her to have a speedy recovery. God bless.

materia, but if any of you have any stories, photos, jokes, nicknames, favorite pieces, or other memories of Dad to share I would be forever grateful. I promise to share them with family.

View attachment 36924

Brian I am a member of Magnolia Woodturners in Jackson,MS. About 6 years ago we had Keith do a demo which we really enjoyed. Afterward we had a show n tell and one of the members dropped a piece with his signature finial which broke. In his characteristic easy going manner he just smiled. I have see him at some symposiums and he always recognized me had a smile and conversation.

Prayers for your Mom and family

MSWG is having their monthly meeting tomorrow at 8:30AM. Send me a private msg if you want the Zoom meeting information. I can get you in touch with our club president if you want him to send out an email asking for other stories and memories about Keith.

Sorry to hear about your mom still being in ICU. That’s got to be rough losing a spouse while being stuck in ICU. I’ll be saying a prayer that she gets out soon so she can grieve with the rest of the family.

When you have time maybe you could share a story involving your dad’s woodturning adventures.

-Karl

Thanks Karl, Please feel free to share this post content and photo with anyone in the MSWG, and my contact info in the profile. I am following similar threads on SawMillCreek and the AAW forums if there are members of MSWG that are not in WoW that want to share or they can contact me directly. I appreciate the offer for the Zoom invite but, to be frank, it's too raw right now and I'm not sure I could hold my composure on a Zoom call.

I absolutely will share some stories.

Website
www.midsouthwoodturners.com
Brian, I am also a member of Midsouth Woodturners Guild. We are so sorry to hear about the loss of our good friend Keith. Keith was one of the first people who greeted me when I joined the club back in 2008 and always had a warm smile and friendly handshake for everyone he met. We had a couple of classes at his shop and the picture you shared brings back many fond memories of Keith. I have two pieces of Keith's I acquired several years ago and I display them proudly on my shelf. As was said, Keith was a fixture at symposiums in the Carter booth and I always had a great time harrasing him and trying to talk him down on Carter's prices but I tended to buy items from him anyway. Keith will be sorely missed and I can't believe he is truly gone. Far too soon.

IMG_3193.jpg IMG_4211.jpg

Brian, I am also a member of Midsouth Woodturners Guild. We are so sorry to hear about the loss of our good friend Keith. Keith was one of the first people who greeted me when I joined the club back in 2008 and always had a warm smile and friendly handshake for everyone he met. We had a couple of classes at his shop and the picture you shared brings back many fond memories of Keith. I have two pieces of Keith's I acquired several years ago and I display them proudly on my shelf. As was said, Keith was a fixture at symposiums in the Carter booth and I always had a great time harrasing him and trying to talk him down on Carter's prices but I tended to buy items from him anyway. Keith will be sorely missed and I can't believe he is truly gone. Far too soon.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate it

I appreciate the photos as well - it's not often I see a finial on his work that's not his signature exclamation! Those are both beautiful.

To all, I don't recall meeting Keith in the past. Reading these posts gives me the impression that he was well liked and an accomplished turner.
Brian, I appreciate sharing your thoughts at this time. Trust your mother will continue to improve and be home soon.

To all, I don't recall meeting Keith in the past. Reading these posts gives me the impression that he was well liked and an accomplished turner.
Brian, I appreciate sharing your thoughts at this time. Trust your mother will continue to improve and be home soon.

Thank you John.

Mom came home last week. Everything with her recovery is on a very positive track right now!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
That is so good to hear. Thanks for the update Brian. Keith was such a great guy. I know he will be missed. I will miss seeing him each year at the TAW symposium.

I am that guy that just pops in and out and I work so much I just get sidetracked and fail to get on the forum as much as I would like.
I know this is late and I did not know Keith, however, I have seen his work and it is truly inspiring. Setting here reading this lets me know what kind of a guy he was. This thread tells me he was a loved and respected man, by his son and family and by multiple woodturners all over. The lord gets this wonderful man now but it is obvious that he will and is missed and that he has certainly left a void in many hearts.
I am truly sorry for the loss
Rest in Peace Mr Keith Burns

Back