• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

LaserPecker

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
At 1.6 watts of power I wouldn't set my expectations very high. That power will be further dispersed as the beam moves away from the central focal point, as the head doesn't move. Probably fun for burning a logo onto your banana. Cutting anything more than paper thin seems unlikely. What would you like to do with a laser?

I found it difficult to understand exactly what Laser Pecker is. Lots and lots of Youtube videos. Different models and a wide range of prices. Lots of hype, too much in my opinion. I'm interested, but not before things settle down a bit with the company and its relationship with Kickstarter.

The rotary axis is nice although it seems to be limited in shapes it can handle, automatic lasering all around on free form turnings would not be possible.

The ability to cut up to 5mm wood and the speed shown in the videos implies well beyond 1.6 watts. My 3.5 watt diode laser marks wood very well, no where near the capacity and speed shown in their videos.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
1.6 watts was the value they specified on their FAQ page. I know how long it takes to cut 5mm wood with the 40 watt Epilog I have access to, let me say I'm skeptical that's really practical with so little power.

Roger, I fully agree the information, when you can find it, on Laser Pecker is confusing. Being somewhat interested, I'm not about to jump in until things settle down.

It appears they're heading in the direction of Glowforge lasers with the ability to easily input the design to cut. Glowforge set all time records in crowd funding and did manage to come to market even though at a couple years later than promised.

I've seen some ads for Glowforge and it seems interesting. I had the opportunity to use a big Epilog for a brief bit and it is a very capable machine. The Glowforge looks like it might be easier to site and with competition the prices may come down.

I've seen some ads for Glowforge and it seems interesting. I had the opportunity to use a big Epilog for a brief bit and it is a very capable machine. The Glowforge looks like it might be easier to site and with competition the prices may come down.

I came very close to buying a Glowforge, but at the last minute, discovered a critical flaw that they don't volunteer any info on...the laser gas tubes cannot be replaced by the user. You have to pack up the machine and send it to them for new tube installation and alignment...probably every two years or so, with moderate use.

It's a horrible machine by all the reports I read on laser engraver forums. They censor the comments on their forums so you have to research deeper to find all the issues. It's no faster than the cheap Chinese lasers sold on eBay. For a while it couldn't even cut to the full size of the bed. I don't know if they fixed that or not. As Roger said, at 1.6w a laser won't much more than cardboard and leather. I had a 25w ULS laser for years.

Back