• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dovetail & Recess Tool

I backed myself into a corner with my latest turning project and had no way to cut a recess for mounting on a chuck. It was between centers and the tailstock live center was in the way. I remembered an article written by Mike Peace where he made a tool for this very purpose. He was the inspiration for my tool.

I figured if I was going to the effort why not make it so I can do the dovetail for both a spigot and a recess. The photos show what I came up with. I made it from HSS 6x25x200mm. Most of the grinding was straight forward. However the one angle for the recess-cutting dovetail was less than 90 degrees and couldn't be done on my grinder. I tried a cutoff wheel in a die grinder but I just wasn't steady enough to get the results I wanted.

I'd just acquired a chainsaw sharpener and thought I might be able to adapt it to a poor mans tool grinder. Lots of ideas floated around involving machining a new base to replace the chain holder. All more time and effort than I was willing to commit. I found that by removing part of the chain holding parts I was able to hand hold the tool steel against the base and get acceptable results.

Dovetail Tool 1.JPG Dovetail Tool 2.JPG Dovetail Tool 3.JPG Dovetail Tool 4.JPG Dovetail Tool 5.JPG Dovetail Tool 6.JPG Dovetail Tool 7.JPG

As I basically always use a recess when turning bowls and plates/platters, I ran into that problem with the tailstock being in my way for cleaning up the recess, where I use the square corner for my Oneway jaws I only needed to get that clean corner, I used a small cheap tool to regrind the end at an angle so as to be able to do this.

I showed this tool when someone asked for help on the forum, that was in 2009, still have that tool and use it occasional, to remove this little bit of wood, one does not need a large expensive tool for it.

I can use it for a dovetail also if that would be needed

Recess tool 2009.jpeg

Get it patented first! Then contract for someone to make it for you. You can market it yourself or through a number of retailers or have an online store.
"Necessity is the mother of invention."

Back