• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bolt Size

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Does anybody know the size of the little bolt that comes with the Lyle Jamieson hollowing system the one use to move the cutter? It is the same as the one in the Stewart arm brace, the oldest tool in my shop, still in use. I used the wrong size little wrench and the edges are now a bit rounded, making it hard to adjust the cutter. I just emailed Lyle about it too. Twice I bought the wrong size at ACE Hardware. I do not think they carry it there. I can't be the only one that has had to replace the bolt. I did measure it with my digital calipers, but I have no idea how to translate that into a bolt size. Thank you for your help.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
@Emiliano Achaval .......

In a pinch, you could hacksaw a slot on the top of the bolt, and use a standard screwdriver......until you find the right bolt to replace it, that is.

-----odie-----

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
One of the handiest freebie things that I have in my toolbox is a little plastic screw size template. This doesn't help you with your immediate problem, but it's a handy thing to have. I only rarely need to use it, but when I do need it, it's worth every penny that I paid for it and more. Ok I didn't pay anything for it, but even so it's a very useful little trinket.

I'm sure Lyle will have the answer, but in the meantime, ditto what Bill said, but these are actually available for sale at the hardware store (I think General makes one). Even better, my True Value has thread sizers available in the fastener aisle.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
One of the handiest freebie things that I have in my toolbox is a little plastic screw size template. This doesn't help you with your immediate problem, but it's a handy thing to have. I only rarely need to use it, but when I do need it, it's worth every penny that I paid for it and more. Ok I didn't pay anything for it, but even so it's a very useful little trinket.

@Emiliano Achaval

You're right, Bill......A template is a great tool, and is what I used years ago. Thanks for jogging my memory......(It seems to get worse with age! :eek:) I don't currently have one. They are cheap, and I'm ordering one of these in the video right now. Emiliano, this short video is everything you need to know about measuring your bolt. You can take all the measurements with a simple ruler, but I've decided to get the gauge anyway.

View: https://youtu.be/uPxHj652Y1w

This forum continues to be a great resource!!!!!

-----odie-----

Lowe's has thread gauges. If you have a Fastenal store close by, they will have the thread gauge and maybe the bolt you need. Be prepared to pay a lot for one bolt from them. I hate buying fasteners at the big box stores. They sell 10 washers for more than what I sold for 100. Have a fastener gauge with sizes and thread pitch. Gets a good workout.

I think you mean the one that clamps the cutter and the swivel to the 3/8” cutter bar? Checked mine, its a 10-32 1/2” long screw. That is a fine thread, 24 is std pitch. The challenge can be in finding a hex head that small, most are slot or Philips head. A button style allen head would work, but not a std socket allen head - not enough surface area under the head. I’ll point something else out - the washer used under this bolt gets beat up. Replace with a std hardware store #10 washer.

Lowe's has thread gauges. If you have a Fastenal store close by, they will have the thread gauge and maybe the bolt you need. Be prepared to pay a lot for one bolt from them. I hate buying fasteners at the big box stores. They sell 10 washers for more than what I sold for 100. Have a fastener gauge with sizes and thread pitch. Gets a good workout.
Our local Ace store has a huge assortment of fasteners. Worth a try to see if a hardware store has one.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Man don’t ask for directions, we use Google maps, LOL and we know our bolt sizes. I went to the hardware store, how hard can it be to find the right size, right. 2 trips, 2 wrong sizes. I have seen that gizmo that @Bill Boehme mentions, I will buy it! Lyle answered me: they are 10/32 bolts, 1/2 in long. Going back to the store! Thank you everyone!!

I think you mean the one that clamps the cutter and the swivel to the 3/8” cutter bar? Checked mine, its a 10-32 1/2” long screw. That is a fine thread, 24 is std pitch. The challenge can be in finding a hex head that small, most are slot or Philips head. A button style allen head would work, but not a std socket allen head - not enough surface area under the head. I’ll point something else out - the washer used under this bolt gets beat up. Replace with a std hardware store #10 washer.
Whatever thread it is go for the socket head machine screw or set screw which are likely to be hardened and will work better than the hex head.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
No wonder I could not find it locally. Thank you Doug, I'm off to Amazon.

My hollower is a copy of the Lyle Jamison style. These are what I use to hold my cutters. They look like this... https://www.amazon.com/10-10-32-Socket-Thermal-MonsterBolts/dp/B07BZT1S92 I think I remember seeing a Home Depot near the airport on Maui. They should have these in those drawers in the aisle with all the screws. They'll also have a few others with different heads if you prefer. You might have to cut them to the length you need.

Last edited:

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
My hollower is a copy of the Lyle Jamison style. These are what I use to hold my cutters. They look like this... https://www.amazon.com/10-10-32-Socket-Thermal-MonsterBolts/dp/B07BZT1S92 I think I remember seeing a Home Depot near the airport on Maui. They should have these in those drawers in the aisle with all the screws. They'll also a few others with different heads if you prefer. You might have to cut them to the length you need.
I saw those. The problem I see is sawdust getting in where the Alan wrench goes. I taped over my other bolts like these on my Jamieson system. I much prefer the one that I use a little wrench to loosen and tighten. But, these will do if I can't find what I want. I just finished using the hollower, so I have a while till my next job. Curt, thank you for your help. Greatly appreciated. Aloha

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Emiliano, the term that you need to search for "hex head cap screw". Basically, a cap screw is a screw that is designed to be driven into a threaded hole as opposed to a screw that is designed to be used with a nut. This is not to say that is how the screw must be used.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Emiliano, the term that you need to search for "hex head cap screw". Basically, a cap screw is a screw that is designed to be driven into a threaded hole as opposed to a screw that is designed to be used with a nut. This is not to say that is how the screw must be used.
This explains why when I search on Amazon for 10-32 bolt it takes me to the Screws page! Must be an engineer thing to call a bolt a screw to confuse us mere mortals. Thank you for your help Bill.

My understanding is that a bolt is a threaded fastner that uses a nut, while a screw is a threaded fastener that does not. The screw typically has coarse threads meant to cut their way into an un-threaded hole.
Of course as with any rule there are common exceptions like lag bolts (which should be called lag screws).

Basically, a bolt is one that does not have threads on the entire fastener. A cap screw is one that has thread the full length of the fastener. Cap screw could have a variety of heads. Sold fasteners in 5 states for a major manufacturer and importer.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
My understanding is that a bolt is a threaded fastner that uses a nut, while a screw is a threaded fastener that does not. The screw typically has coarse threads meant to cut their way into an un-threaded hole.....

See John Torchick's post. Your first sentence is generally accepted as part of the difference between a screw and a bolt. Your second sentence defines a subset of screws, but it isn't true for many types of screws.

Basically, a bolt is one that does not have threads on the entire fastener. A cap screw is one that has thread the full length of the fastener. Cap screw could have a variety of heads. Sold fasteners in 5 states for a major manufacturer and importer.

What I have found is that there is no universally agreed upon definition, however, John Torchick's definition seems to have the greatest degree of acceptance.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I give up, for real this time, LOL. I challenge anybody here to try to find one or two of: 10-32 hex head cap screw You see hundreds of bolts, screws, fasteners, on the results but not what I want. Went back to ACE Hardware today, no luck there. I will try Fastenal in town this week and I'll check Lowes too.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
@Emiliano Achaval

You're right, Bill......A template is a great tool, and is what I used years ago. Thanks for jogging my memory......(It seems to get worse with age! :eek:) I don't currently have one. They are cheap, and I'm ordering one of these in the video right now. Emiliano, this short video is everything you need to know about measuring your bolt. You can take all the measurements with a simple ruler, but I've decided to get the gauge anyway.

View: https://youtu.be/uPxHj652Y1w

This forum continues to be a great resource!!!!!

-----odie-----
We now have the right measurement, but it is nearly impossible to find it with a hex head!! I do not want one with a Alan wrench type head, those fill up with sawdust...

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Last edited:

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
View attachment 36589
Emilano, this replacement works far better than the original screw which I have replaced many times. If you pm me your address, I will be happy to mail you one. You will need a washer and you’ll be good to go. Also, you can find them on bolt depot. https://www.boltdepot.com/Socket_cap_Alloy_steel_black_oxide_finish_10-32.aspx
They are .10 each .

I’ll take up your offer!
300 Kealaloa Av Makawao Maui Hawaii 96768
Thank you very much!! I'm in no rush. Aloha from Maui

Last edited by a moderator:
USA- set screw.
Great Britain- grub screw.
I had a big book with definitions, specifications, etc. that I sent back when I discontinued representing the company. Should have kept it.

YES! And we have a Fastenal on the Island! I wonder why they chose to use the most difficult to find little bolt? If I ever invent anything, the replacement parts, rest assured you will find them easy, and they will have one name only, not 20 different obscure denominations, LOL
Difficult bolt?!?! My son is a mechanical engineer as was his grandfather. Math kept me out of that profession. As he was growing up, I would show him things that were designed in a poor manner. Told him if I caught him designing something like that, I would kick his butt around the block.
Was looking for a comic illustration of various bolts. Naturally, can't find it when I need it.

Back