• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

First attempts at a hollow form

I tried my hand at hollowing using the trent bosch stabilizer. Somewhat rough inside and very hard to get the top with the standard curved tool. They are about 8 inches deep and probably the max for the 5/8 in bars. Lots of bouncing and rattling, but good enough for gifts! The top hole is about 1 1/4, they are both spalted and burl big leaf maple.

IMG_9164.JPG IMG_9299.JPG

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I have found, with Trent's tools, that to get the inside top (with a form similar to yours), I can't use the regular hollowing tools. The bent tools just won't get around the corner. So I hollow as much as I can with those, then switch to one of his bent radius scrapers. I can adjust the scraper tip so it will cut around the corner. Makes a better finish, too.

I ground the scraper tip for my 1/2" tool to about half its original size, so it will fit in a vessel with a smaller hole. Also replaced the screw with one with a smaller head, also so it'd fit in a smaller hole.

8" is a LONG way over the tool rest. It's supposed to be hard and have a fair learning curve. Just make the hole smaller than an index finger and it won't matter how smooth they are inside. ;)

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I tried my hand at hollowing using the trent bosch stabilizer. Somewhat rough inside and very hard to get the top with the standard curved tool. They are about 8 inches deep and probably the max for the 5/8 in bars. Lots of bouncing and rattling, but good enough for gifts! The top hole is about 1 1/4, they are both spalted and burl big leaf maple.

View attachment 36503 View attachment 36504
Nice work. When I first got my Jamieson Hollowing system, I called Lyle because the cutter wasn't cutting at all. He asked me several questions. Then he goes, this is a long shot, but do you have your lathe in reverse? I had finished the day before sanding in reverse. I was so embarrassed, LOL

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Nice pieces. That flattened top is difficult but do I have the tool for you. The new Hunter Talon. You can't use it in your hollowiing system but it's so stable and easy to use by hand. It's perfect for getting that first 2" or so under the neck of a vessel. Mike said they should be on the market in January. This thing has a flat area on the shank about 1 1/4" wide ( I really need to measure it) The flat area is about 6" long and has a square tang. I rounded it over slightly so it would fit in my Thompson handle. The cutter is mounted at a downward tilt so it does not catch. I hollowed the the area under the neck on my Ruth Bader Ginsburg vessel with it before changing to my captured bar system.

Attachments

• Talon-1.jpg
    Talon-1.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Talon-7.jpg
    Talon-7.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Talon-9.jpg
    Talon-9.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 61
  • RIP RBG-1.jpg
    RIP RBG-1.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 62
I also have attempted to use my Jamieson system with the lathe running in reverse. I use a hand held straight bar diy tool to open up a vessel as a 1st step, and run the lathe in reverse so I don’t have to lean over the ways. I then forget to switch it back to normal rotation. 1st time I did it it took me an hour or so to figure out the problem - after changing the carbide insert and moving the tip around.

i also have a couple of diy hand held bent arm tools as well as a 1/2” bent arm that fits the Jamieson system to reach the areas John Lucas shows.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The cutter is mounted at a downward tilt so it does not catch. I hollowed the the area under the neck on my Ruth Bader Ginsburg vessel with it before changing to my captured bar system

What is the cutter size?

Looks like a tool for everyone’s tool kit.
Should be a good tool for ornament balls. The flat bar should stabilize it for the neophytes and the cutter in line with the shaft won’t have much torque on the tool to begin with.

Your RBG vessel not much of a test. - that long sweet curve at the top is so far from a flat top that It looks like it could be hollowed entirely with a straight tool.
I like the Vessel...

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
The RGB vessel was just what I had handy. Havent had time to try it on a vessel.with a more flat top. Iiiiill be gone until.after Christmas but will try to shoot some photos with a ruler for scale. It's too big for christmas ornaments unless you like a really large sphere. In the first photo of my imitation hollow vessel it's about 6" across if that will give you some size relationship.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
More photos of the talon tool so you can better understand it's size and what it's capable of doing. I was wrong on the size of the shank. It's 1/2" thick and 1" wide. Very stable on the tool rest. I hope to make a vessel that will use it's capabilities in the next week or so. Have to repair some chairs that were chewed up by my dog first.

Attachments

• talon-15.jpg
    talon-15.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 20
  • talon-14.jpg
    talon-14.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 20
  • talon-12.jpg
    talon-12.jpg
    544.1 KB · Views: 20
  • talon-13.jpg
    talon-13.jpg